Rock n' Roll Rabbit Hole (Took a turn for the Stones and more)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Rock n' Roll Rabbit Hole (Took a turn for the Stones and more)

Post by honorentheos »

My normal work listens these days are a mix of things but I find I gravitate towards electronic stuff like early dubstep for it's fuzzy/harsh/light/heavy industrial feel. I mentioned the artist Burial elsewhere. Hadn't heard of him but became a fan sometime after something I read about the evolution of dubstep as a reflection of post-industrial England's youth, mirroring the rise of Brit-Rock and Punk as expressions of the bleak prospects of a non-aspirational middle- or lower income youth contrasted with the false prosperity play-acting in other dance music, took me on a journey. I'd normally associated dubstep with the brostep folks that was more mainstream and pop.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:19 pm
My normal work listens these days are a mix of things but I find I gravitate towards electronic stuff like early dubstep for it's fuzzy/harsh/light/heavy industrial feel. I mentioned the artist Burial elsewhere. Hadn't heard of him but became a fan sometime after something I read about the evolution of dubstep as a reflection of post-industrial England's youth, mirroring the rise of Brit-Rock and Punk as expressions of the bleak prospects of a non-aspirational middle- or lower income youth contrasted with the false prosperity play-acting in other dance music, took me on a journey. I'd normally associated dubstep with the brostep folks that was more mainstream and pop.
Burial is good stuff, I think I first learned of him because of the Children for Men soundtrack. I may just be recommending folks you already know but if you like Burial a lot I'd recommend Nocow, Kollaps, and Vacant.

Thinking tangential I'm not sure how much you've listened to it but the Synth/Retro Wave scene might be right up your alley; Dynatron, Turbo Knight, and Stilz are good jumping off sounds for that. You might also enjoy groups like Heilung (start with the song "Norupo" or "Svanrand" if you do check them out) and those close to them. Lots of otherworld vocals, tribal rhythms and dark soundscapes.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Simply gorgeous!

Jon Batiste Performing Blackbird - 09 FEB 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46yXW4qR_M
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Here you get a chance to see Patsy Cline's singing in a different way that you may have not experienced before and the analysis thereof. I think I've probably posted offerings from this channel. If not, I'll share that I've been subbed to this channel for years and find it fascinating!

Patsy Cline's ISOLATED vocal is haunting, in ALL the best ways!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzqL23b2rXI

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:27 am
I have a question, Jersey Girl. While much of this thread is about single songs, what is your experience with listening to full albums and how did that affect your connection with the music or musicians behind the music in your life?

I ask because this seems to be something largely lost to the way most people experience music now that we get our music through services or forums that detach a song from an album. Some artists are even limiting LP releases in favor of recording and releasing new songs spread out over a period of time. It may just be different like change tends to be.

But I am old enough to have listened to most music from my youth in the form of albums. Many of them listened to with friends while hanging out. Almost all at some point as an active listener playing them on my system in my bedroom, letting the transitions of the album from song to song inform the experience of that album. I still prefer to find albums and let them play through while listening at work though I don't think I've spent the time to just sit and listen to an album as the center of my attention in so long I couldn't tell you when was the last time I did so. Something I am now thinking about, too,...

honor I saw this when you posted it and I don't quite understand what you are asking though others apparently did.

I will start here and if you would like, ask me questions that lead to your original thoughts and questions you posed.

The first records I ever listened to were my parents collection of 78s and some of those I think were made from glass at least it seemed like it. Those had more than one tune on them. Pretty much Big Band music as I recall and God I wish I still had that record player!

Then I listened to my family's collection of 45s, ALL old country music (I'm talking Web Hank Williams Sr., and such as that) and early rock n' roll, two sides, two singles on each side. Same record player.

The first record I ever bought with my own money was a 45 because that is what I could pay for on my own.

I have an LP record collection on vinyl that is three cases of albums. I don't know how many there are. I would listen to those if only I had a needle for our Sansui 6500 quad system's turntable. Replacing that has fallen by the wayside in favor of other in real life concerns and activities and the quad system remains in storage.

Whenever I purchased an LP I immediately went for the most popular tunes that had come out as singles first, then the entire album all the way through. I do NOT like every single song on every single album, quite the contrary is true which is why some tracks are worn to pieces on my albums. 8-)

Off the top of my head, if/when our needle ever gets replaced, albums I would listen to start to finish without hesitation would be in no particular order:

Tommy (The Who)
The White Album (Beatles)
Linda Ronstadt every album I own
Nicolette Larson

You will notice the clear absence of most every complete album by the Beatles and ALL of my Stones albums. :o

I have a hunch that the difference between your goals and my goals with regard to music appreciation is the fact that I listen to music that I can either sing or dance to, or both. In other words, I really never just listen for listening's sake though some relaxing mountain dulcimer or Celtic type instrumental or Mozart has been known to put me in that space.

8-)

p.s. I don't know exactly where my report is on the Stones concert, but I think if you were to read it, you'd see that I was talking about singing and dancing through the whole concert barefoot in Mile High Stadium.

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:55 am
I have a hunch that the difference between your goals and my goals with regard to music appreciation is the fact that I listen to music that I can either sing or dance to, or both. In other words, I really never just listen for listening's sake though some relaxing mountain dulcimer or Celtic type instrumental or Mozart has been known to put me in that space.
Hi Jersey Girl,

Your reply helped illuminate that the question about experiencing music as an album v. singles is a subset of just asking how experiencing music actively may have changed for someone with the changes in music distribution. I say that in part because your comment above implies listening to be a passive event when I think there are active and passive modes of listening to music.

My favorite definition of pop culture comes from a reviewer who defined pop media as, "That which does the work for you." It's an elegant definition that acknowledges pop isn't so much a genre of media as it is a way of describing how much a person has to bring to the encounter with the media to appreciate it. And, with time, almost any piece of media can become pop for a person if it becomes a thing where a person's engagement with it becomes a release, letting go to the media to let it do the work. I have a lot of end of the work week/work day pop media that didn't start that way but are now comfortably there to carry me when I need to let someone else drive...

I appreciate the answer and your taking the time to think about it.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

lightning up for 2 minutes and 12 seconds.

President Volodymyr Zelensky on Dancing With the Stars Ukraine. Zellenskyy Dance Won DWTS in 2006!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlJywp7E3Gw

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Coming in June...

Elvis - Official Trailer (2022) Austin Butler, Tom Hanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phea4jG06oI

8-)

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Extraordinarily good singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Cy8SR8h5c
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace