Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Res Ipsa »

My country hit its pre-Delta level of transmission a couple off weeks ago, and transmission is already rising, likely propelled by the current variant. That’s now true in many states. Transmission rates will continue to increase until the virus can’t find new folks to infect.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:27 pm
My country hit its pre-Delta level of transmission a couple off weeks ago, and transmission is already rising, likely propelled by the current variant. That’s now true in many states. Transmission rates will continue to increase until the virus can’t find new folks to infect.
Which will be forever since a vaccine doesn't stop infection or transmission, right?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:04 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:27 pm
Which will be forever since a vaccine doesn't stop infection or transmission, right?

Wrong. How can you be this ignorant a full three years into this? Vaccinations do stop infections more than 95% of the time. As it was a year ago most of the people dying from COVID are those who refuse to get vaccinated.

Florida has one of the highest rates of COVID deaths and this is evident even with DeSantis hiding the real numbers and persecuting those who expose his agenda. Also, when Disney and Universal and other theme parks shut down due to COVID, were they no longer part of Florida?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Do you live in Florida, Ajax? I do. My experience of the pandemic is quite different from the impression you give in your posts.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:37 pm
I wouldn't call it sarcasm. I'm just curious if those on the left have learned to live with COVID as people in Florida have been doing for a couple years now.
You are asking questions that you could easily answer for yourself by a bit of research. I take your political remarks as a type of sarcasm that really has no place on this thread.
Given that there is no excuse for anyone dying from COVID if it could have been prevented by lockdowns, masking, social distancing, testing quarantining, are you still doing all that or did you finally get tired of it? I noticed some of your politicians had no problem with flying to Florida for vacation and mixing amongst the unmasked and unvaacinated.
You are talking about a pandemic that spans two plus years during which the safety measures evolved with it. Lock downs were in place during surges when no vaccine existed yet. We have vaccines now. I follow the precautions because I think it makes good sense.

I think I've already said that I still do all the things. Yes, I am tired of it. I press on.

I don't know which politicians you are referring to. You mean in my own state or are you referring to the red and blue stuff again? If you are referring to the red/blue, that's really a discussion for another thread. If you'd like to start a new topic, feel free.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

An attempt to return to topic.

I'm getting the 4th shot on Tuesday. A couple of weeks in advance of a trip to Florida. Will report on side effects if only for my own documentation here. Third shot knocked me out for, I think, 4 days. :shock:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I haven't got my 4th booster yet, but I probably will.

It has been a while since I last double masked, but I still mask when I go into a public establishment with a lot of people. I have found a brand of N95 mask that is actually quite comfortable to wear, and much less prone to fogging up my glasses.

California cases and hospitalizations are still declining, and the positivity rate when I last checked it has dropped to 1.6%, so I feel fairly safe going around without a mask most of the time. I know there is still a potential for another surge due to the latest variant, but it doesn't seem to have started in California yet.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:03 am

I'm getting the 4th shot on Tuesday. A couple of weeks in advance of a trip to Florida. Will report on side effects if only for my own documentation here. Third shot knocked me out for, I think, 4 days. :shock:
Enjoy your trip to Florida! I hope your fourth shot isn’t too brutal. I will probably get Moderna this time. I don’t even have an appointment yet.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Are you scared of being exposed to unvaccinated people in Florida?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:41 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:

Are you scared of being exposed to unvaccinated people in Florida?

Oh yes. I'll be positively terrified. Shaking in my flip flops on the beach the whole entire time. Yup.

Slava Ukraini!