Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:51 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:40 pm

Good on ya! Were you Moderna?
Yes. If I can, I'll boost with a Pfizer.
Oh I see. You're not opposed to mixing vaccines. Go for it!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Update below...
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:28 pm
So...I wasn't going to mention this out of a sense of vanity, but we're family so I will just do it if it might help someone out there. About 4 years ago I got derma filler in my cheeks and a tiny bit for frown lines between the eye brows (the infamous 11's that run in the family). The products were Voluma and Boletero--both hyaluronic acid injections that stimulates collagen production. Anyway, it was conservative but I really liked it and it lasted well over a year. The frown lines never returned. :shock:

I wanted to do it again this past summer but Omicron had other plans. Fast forward to now...I decided I would do the cheek filler before my upcoming trip because that'd be a treat and made an appointment. When the FDA approved the 4th shot, I jumped on it. Then remembered uh oh...better recheck the delayed inflammatory response side effects I had heard about during the pandemic for folks who use derma fillers.

Though it is only rare cases, folks who mix hyaluronic acid injections with Covid vaccines can experience an allergic reactions which manifests itself by swelling of the areas in which the fillers are used. These are resolved by steroids.

The current advice is 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after the vaccinations. So...no cheeky stuff for me since it would be cutting it too close and with my luck, my face would start puffing while the plane taxis down the runway at Denver International Airport. :lol:

Anyway, a bit of information for those who are like minded or know someone who is. Best not to take the chance and just wait it out a bit.

I'm not sure if this applies to Botox. Should probably look that up since I have a family member who gets Botox for chronic migraines.

Botox same thing. 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after. But again, the reactions are rare.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:51 pm

Yes. If I can, I'll boost with a Pfizer.
From what I've read, there may be an incremental benefit, with no evidence of harm. It's not a big deal. I know the pharmacy where I have my appoint does have Moderna. I'll be happy with either.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:48 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:39 pm
All my shots have been Pfizer. Same thing this time. All I really had was significant fatigue akin to returning to altitude on the last shot. If I'm following correctly, I think that by fall they'll have approved a generalized Covid shot for us.

Thanks for the well wishes! My trip is a long time coming. My sis moved there and I haven't seen her in 4 long years. I'm going to finally see Sanibel Island which I've wanted to see ever since a student brought me a bag of cat paw shells 20+ years ago! Shelling is my number one- hands down- no contest favorite thing to do on the planet. Can not wait to bring home a suitcase full of shells and ship my clothes back. I'm completely serious. 8-)
Sanibel Island is lovely. I enjoyed the trip, and, yes, there are really cool shells there. If I recall correctly, there is a shell museum somewhere in the area. It was well worth a visit, according to my vague recollection. I love the ocean. Nearly went to school in South Carolina to become a marine biologist.
We have something in common! Though I am sure you would have been more well suited to it, I also thought of becoming a marine biologist. When I was in high school, one of our classes took us to to the marine lab at Sandy Hook (actually probably Ft. Hancock) New Jersey which is right where I am from. We charted the waters around Plum Island and toured the lab, did some work on the barrier reef. I found it fascinating having grown up in the area always with a driving curiosity about the creatures I found in tide pools, learning to identify them as well as their houses...sea shells, what I could find in the mud flats, identifying birds and grasses, and learning about the fish we and other brought in from our fishing trips, collecting our own bait in nets. FYI: I rarely eat seafood having seen too much of it gutted in the back yard (I did the scaling) throughout my childhood and large fish (sharks, etc) dripping with blood, hanging from hooks on the scales around the marina which was literally across the street from our house. ;)

https://www.mcvsd.org/schools/marine-ac ... echnology/
I hope you don't get hit with a lot of fatigue. Lately I feel like every day is fatigue. It's probably just depression, but depression and my actual COVID case--I ended up getting it when my last booster was past its prime--have combined to make for a pretty grey few months.
I think quite a large number of people have had mental health issues on account of the pandemic. I had some weepy nights here and there and I have at least one family member here who has gone through a real rough patch. As for the fatigue, like I said, it hit me like returning to altitude. So...considering the shot and my trip, I'm about to do twice this month. Lucky me. 8-)

I hope you get to feeling better soon, Kish. It is no joke feeling weighed down like that.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:57 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 pm

From what I've read, there may be an incremental benefit, with no evidence of harm. It's not a big deal. I know the pharmacy where I have my appoint does have Moderna. I'll be happy with either.
I hadn't heard that about the benefit. We have friends who mixed and did pretty well. But again, who really cares about side effects. You can weather those in a couple of days and it beats getting put on a vent or worse.

Report back on this thread!

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I hadn't heard that about the benefit. We have friends who mixed and did pretty well. But again, who really cares about side effects. You can weather those in a couple of days and it beats getting put on a vent or worse.

Will do.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Here is a good article from Nature discussing this very thing.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586- ... 20regimens.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I’m very happy that we went back to the good tasting communion cracker and grape juice today at church, instead of the prepackaged styrofoam wafer and terrible tasting juice. It is the best tasting communion cracker I’ve ever tasted.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:14 pm
I’m very happy that we went back to the good tasting communion cracker and grape juice today at church, instead of the prepackaged styrofoam wafer and terrible tasting juice. It is the best tasting communion cracker I’ve ever tasted.
:D When we went to church on Christmas at the Lutheran (Catholic lite!) church, they were dropping the wafers in people's hands using gloves. I don't recall any drink at all.

Nice to get back to something like normal at your church, right?

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:40 pm
msnobody wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:14 pm
:D When we went to church on Christmas at the Lutheran (Catholic lite!) church, they were dropping the wafers in people's hands using gloves. I don't recall any drink at all.

Nice to get back to something like normal at your church, right?
Yes, especially when I'd wonder if that thing was truly edible. It was like stytofoam that immediately melted in your mouth.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7