Church membership numbers not good.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Church membership numbers not good.

Post by Chap »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:26 pm
Throughout history the majority of folks have either ignored or rebelled against the fullness of the gospel. Sadly, this is also true even in our day and time.
If everybody was Mormon, the world would be wonderful. But they are not, so it isn't.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Everything is hunky dory and we’re doing an awesome job solving humanities problems on our own without God, aren’t we?
In US politics, I have not noticed that your local deity is exactly excluded from the political process.

Nor have I noticed that when nations have been most religious, they have been at their happiest and most peaceful. In fact to some extent the reverse has been true, has it not?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:28 pm

One can only hope.

Regards,
MG
I do believe Mormonism may lead, altogether, in the hope for human death and destruction. Maybe we should tab Mormons with the name anti-humanists instead of Mormon...it at least fulfills Pres Nelson prophetic insights into dropping the name Mormon.

Hopefully, as you say, Jesus comes, nearly everyone dies and human existence will end. To me, hoping for that, is the type of screwy mindset religion gives to people, to religionists its beautiful or something.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:

I doubt you’ll be part of that groundswell. Everything is hunky dory and we’re doing an awesome job solving humanities problems on our own without God, aren’t we?
The Mormon god is hoarding somewhere around a quarter trillion in liquid assets. Random car makers and tennis shoe companies do more every year to support humanity than your god, the hoarder. Your religion is doing an extremely poor job solving humanity’s problems WITH your god, and additionally your religion is skirting the spirit of tax laws worldwide and getting wealthy on the backs of the poor. It’s shameful.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Chap wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:34 pm

Nor have I noticed that when nations have been most religious, they have been at their happiest and most peaceful. In fact to some extent the reverse has been true, has it not?
What about the trends here in the good ol’ USA? Have court cases and woke ideologies been more or less supportive of religious rights to worship without hindrance from the state? As the number of ‘nones’ increase and woke ideologues harangue the majority population are we seeing an improvement in the fabric of society?

Are we happier? Or are we more divided than ever?

Very few societies have fully implemented the teachings of the Judaeo-Christian tradition. The United States came close, and the jury isn’t out yet. But yes, when societies follow the core/basic teachings of Jesus Christ they are happier and more productive without the Marxist ideologies of class struggle and inequality taking over.

I truly would not want to turn the reigns of government over to godless ‘know it alls’ who think they can take care of the masses according to the dictates of their own desires and current fads whether it be economic theory or impending environmental doom (and the takeover of energy production, distribution, and management). We are moving that direction even now.

I suppose if you had your way you would be in favor of taking “In God We Trust” off of the coinage of the U.S., open up abortion clinics in every city, and close down religious institutions and churches. We would all be happier and more free, right?

Do I think nations are generally ‘happier’ when godless?

Absolutely not.

There is a cultural war going on, even now, between the woke religious ideologies (BLM and others) and the Judaeo-Christian culture at large, including those of other faiths that believe in and worship deity/supreme being.

I know we disagree. That’s OK. You will go your way and I will go mine. It’s wonderful that we still live in a country where we can still voice our opinion, isn’t it?

Isn’t it? Or do you feel certain opinions should be regulated or squelched?

God and country. Hurrah!!

And the huge increase in temples throughout the world? Thank God. Points of light, happiness and goodness in an ever darkening world.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:28 pm

One can only hope.

Regards,
MG
I do believe Mormonism may lead, altogether, in the hope for human death and destruction. Maybe we should tab Mormons with the name anti-humanists instead of Mormon...it at least fulfills Pres Nelson prophetic insights into dropping the name Mormon.

Hopefully, as you say, Jesus comes, nearly everyone dies and human existence will end. To me, hoping for that, is the type of screwy mindset religion gives to people, to religionists its beautiful or something.
If you don’t believe in the eternal nature and progression of man/women I can see why you might have a fatalistic view.

Regards,
MG
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:39 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

I doubt you’ll be part of that groundswell. Everything is hunky dory and we’re doing an awesome job solving humanities problems on our own without God, aren’t we?
The Mormon god is hoarding somewhere around a quarter trillion in liquid assets. Random car makers and tennis shoe companies do more every year to support humanity than your god, the hoarder. Your religion is doing an extremely poor job solving humanity’s problems WITH your god, and additionally your religion is skirting the spirit of tax laws worldwide and getting wealthy on the backs of the poor. It’s shameful.
Yes, humanity has progressed. In spite of our problems, we're still better off now then ever before, in nearly every measurable way. And it seems to me every move of progress has been made without God at all. Indeed, if anything GOd tends to get in the way of progress, rather than helping anyone.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:47 pm

Yes, humanity has progressed. In spite of our problems, we're still better off now then ever before, in nearly every measurable way. And it seems to me every move of progress has been made without God at all. Indeed, if anything GOd tends to get in the way of progress, rather than helping anyone.
When and if that progress comes to an abrupt halt for one reason or another…then what?

I think your overconfidence in mankind as a whole is misplaced. Especially as more and more people are turning away from God and leaning to their own understanding and precepts.

Again, when and if the system (that has cradled you up to this point) crashes, who/what are YOU going to rely on then?

Wishful thinking in the overall progress and goodness of mankind? 😉

Regards,
MG
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:46 pm

If you don’t believe in the eternal nature and progression of man/women I can see why you might have a fatalistic view.

Regards,
MG
Believing in God is espousing a fatalistic point of view--it's determined mankind will die out when God decides, no? And you, as a believer, expressed hope for that impending destruction.

Three other notes of interest (perhaps).

1. You, perhaps without realizing it, compared man in the singular vs women in the plural--perhaps a sign of your hope for future polygamy. Sounds fatalistic, actually.

2. If there was a sensible reason to believe the "eternal nature and progression of man/women" you'd have some sort of point. But there is no reason other than a selfish hope, or what I'd characterize as a selfish hope. And that's, of course, a bad reason.

3. Since your theology suggests many if not most of humanity will not have eternal progression, then the progression is for but a few, relatively speaking. You may delight in the hope you'll have aplenty while most are left wanting, but that which you hope for sounds like a different kind of hell for me
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:58 pm
dastardly stem wrote:

When and if that progress comes to an abrupt halt for one reason or another…then what?

I think your overconfidence in mankind as a whole is misplaced. Especially as more and more people are turning away from God and leaning to their own understanding and precepts.

Again, when and if the system (that has cradled you up to this point) crashes, who/what are YOU going to rely on then?

Wishful thinking in the overall progress and goodness of mankind? 😉

Regards,
MG
More fatalistic mumbo jumbo, MG. You can't assume we just lose all our findings and progress simply because you hope for an end to humanity. I mean of course you can assume as much, but you can't possibly think I'll just buy your depressing hopes. Particularly since every time I've asked you for a good reason for your beliefs, you come back with absolutely nothing that could be thought of as good reason.

Relying on God only gets people in trouble, it seems to me. I may be overstating it since I can't account for everyone's belief, but you know...its the best I can manage.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:39 pm

Agreed. And the Mormon god’s hoarding problem especially isn’t helping anyone, unless you’re connected. Then, the earthly blessings seem to follow.