Rapamycin

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Rapamycin

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:28 pm

OK. It's a drug trial.

It will take a good while before any results, and even then they are unlikely to be conclusive. Over-excitement is not advised. Meanwhile, keep taking exercise anyway. You really don't need a lot to keep (more) healthy, so long as you do it right.
It is not even a drug trial yet. It is a crowdfunding.

Similar studies have been done in the past.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

First, for Binger: Sorry I haven't started the other thread. I've tried typing it up a few times. I've never really told the story, and I'm realizing just how many moving parts there were, and how hard it is to tell without getting into all of the side-stories. So, in case it never does happen, the most condensed version possible is that myself and 3 other dudes (a chemist undergrad [at the time], an ER doc, and a human guinea pig) had a little gig consulting for supplement/fitness companies in the 2000s. About 90% of my role in the rag-tag group involved a lot (and I mean, a lot) of reading through studies -- predominantly stuff from the 1950s-1980s that had been abandoned, but stuff that was being researched at the time as well.
---------------
A few more comments/thoughts on rapamycin, as I’ve largely had a good stretch of my brain working almost like the good ole days.

The anti-aging/longevity stuff with rapamycin is basically just an interesting novelty of sorts. The enzyme pathway that rapamycin tinkers with has had a lot of research done on it. It looks like it has excellent potential for targeting/treating some neurodegenerative diseases, but there’s just too much other stuff downstream that’s effected to use it for something more broad like "anti-aging." What’s the point of getting the full benefit of exercise if the very thing that’s helping you out could also make it so you can’t heal from an injury from exercising (for just one example of a downside of a broad-acting inhibitor like rapamycin).

As an aside, intermittent fasting tinkers with this same pathway (I imagine most people have come across at least one news things about fasting, and living longer -- (PDF Warning).

There’s pretty much always a tradeoff of some sort when it comes to this stuff. Along the same lines (sort of) you can tinker with IGF-1 to influence the same pathway, and you bypass the wound healing problems that could happen with rapamycin. You get the metabolism benefits, cognitive improvement, anti-depressant/anxiety (animal models), etc. On the surface, another miracle drug. Bonus is this one is all-natural and already in our innards. But… (dun, dun, dunnnnn) you’re then potentially super charging cancer growth.

Whenever you mess with enzymes, or hormones, or proteins, there’s usually a feedback loop that’s going to get pissy, a pathway that’s going to forget how to act, or some bizarre gymnastics the body will do to try to reach what it thinks is supposed to be its homeostasis.

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Binger wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:52 pm
I am interested. Do it.
So nothing?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

So, did someone donate?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Hello! Miracle drug here. Those over 50 will need it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I’m over 60. I don’t need it.

The University of Washington is doing an actual trial on the drug. For dogs.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:54 pm
... Miracle drug here. ...
Funny how many times we have heard that recently.

There are drugs that are useful for some people with some problems. There are many rather disappointing drugs that do not fulfil their initial promise. It's best not to get too excited.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:38 am

Funny how many times we have heard that recently.

There are drugs that are useful for some people with some problems. There are many rather disappointing drugs that do not fulfil their initial promise. It's best not to get too excited.
But Rapamycin is the most promising anti-aging drug. This is not just hype. And the poor doctor has less than two months to get funds for his research. I am just trying to help him.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:08 pm
But Rapamycin is the most promising anti-aging drug.
for what it's worth, Metformin has shown more promise at increasing life expectancy than Rapamycin.

When compared with NAD+ and Metformin (as well as Sirtuin, and Resveratrol (who all remembers that "miracle" that all of the research said was a miracle, until... it wasn't), Rapamycin doesn't even earn a mention amongst the promising.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:14 pm
for what it's worth, Metformin has shown more promise at increasing life expectancy than Rapamycin.
I used to think that, but the same doctor does have some concerns about Metformin when used as an anti-aging drug.