Rapamycin

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Rapamycin

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:47 pm
How is a write-up on glomerular pressures in various types of genetically modified rats pertinent to the efficacy of rapamycin as an "anti-aging" drug?
Talking about Metformin, Here is the context.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:40 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:33 pm
I used to think that, but the same doctor does have some concerns about Metformin when used as an anti-aging drug.
One doctor?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:53 pm

Why do you feel that a blog, written by someone with no formal research or medical background or training, should be viewed as an authoritative source?
You should watch the video. The references are in the description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByaqfmWfHQ
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:55 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:47 pm

How is a write-up on glomerular pressures in various types of genetically modified rats pertinent to the efficacy of rapamycin as an "anti-aging" drug?
Talking about Metformin, Here is the context.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:40 pm

One doctor?
Ok... how is a write-up on glomerular pressures in various types of genetically modified rats pertinent to the efficacy of metformin as an "anti-aging" drug?
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:58 pm
You should watch the video. The references are in the description.
It'd be faster for you to just tell me why you feel that a blog, written by someone with no formal research or medical background or training, should be viewed as an authoritative source?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:03 pm
It'd be faster for you to just tell me why you feel that a blog, written by someone with no formal research or medical background or training, should be viewed as an authoritative source?
It is not authoritative, but at least there is no bias.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

Ok... how is a write-up on glomerular pressures in various types of genetically modified rats pertinent to the efficacy of metformin as an "anti-aging" drug?
Forgive me, it is simply one of the references in the video. You should watch it.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:11 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
I believe that you should likely reevaluate this.

He's a guy who goes by "Reason" (even in his professional life -- seriously, try to find his "real" name), and profiteers off of non-pharmaceutical therapies that have no clinical trials or backing -- or as his company likes to polish the turd, "preclinical biotechnology." You'd think that might cause a teensy bias towards a patented pharmaceutical.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:28 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:11 pm

He's a guy who goes by "Reason" (even in his professional life -- seriously, try to find his "real" name), and profiteers off of non-pharmaceutical therapies that have no clinical trials or backing -- or as his company likes to polish the turd, "preclinical biotechnology." You'd think that might cause a teensy bias towards a patented pharmaceutical.

Wait, this is the guy whose videos I'm supposed to watch?
Reason
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Reason is co-founder and CEO of Repair Biotechnologies. He has been an active angel investor in the longevity industry since its earliest days, with investments including Oisin Biotechnologies and Leucadia Therapeutics. He is a long-standing and well-connected patient advocate for aging research, involved in numerous fundraising and outreach initiatives conducted by organizations such as the Methuselah Foundation and SENS Research Foundation since the early 2000s. He is also the founder and writer of Fight Aging!, a noted news and commentary website in the biotechnology community. Prior to his involvement in the biotechnology industry, Reason was a consultant in the software industry. He holds Masters degrees in Astrophysics from the University of St. Andrews and Space Physics from Rice University.
There may be something to the research itself, but this guy screams scam artist.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Okay. Well, it really doesn't matter. "Fight aging" blog is simply an extra reference.

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:42 pm

Wait, this is the guy whose videos I'm supposed to watch?
No no no no no. The guy you are supposed to watch is Dr. Stanfield. Stanfield has the testicles to admit when he is wrong about something. Some of his older videos are labeled "out of date".
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:42 pm
There may be something to the research itself, but this guy screams scam artist.
The other guy is the CEO of a preclinical biotechnology company. His "fight aging" blog is simply an extra-reference.

Dr. Stanfield is a medical doctor with a lot of integrity, and you might benefit from watching his videos because he might help you live longer.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
"Repair Biotechnologies is a preclinical biotechnology company focused on developing drugs for cholesterol and aging-related diseases."

In other words, the company is funded by the rich.