LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:17 pm
I don’t need to see a formal comparison of the numbers to know there’s a problem that’s not being addressed
We need more studies and less assumptions. Can you prove that LDS members experience higher rates of child sexual abuse compared to the general population and other religions? Please control for race, poverty, state laws, and religiosity.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:21 pm
Marcus wrote:
I don’t need to see a formal comparison of the numbers to know there’s a problem that’s not being addressed
We need more studies and less assumptions. Can you prove that LDS members experience higher rates of child sexual abuse compared to the general population and other religions? Please control for race, poverty, state laws, and religiosity.
Start your own topic, if you’d like to. I’m discussing the topics in the OP, in particular the comment about background checks:
Marcus wrote: Even if background checks don’t actively catch a predator, knowing they are in place is a deterrent. That’s harder to measure, but based on the research presented in the training I had to do before volunteering, it is a preventive element that predators consider and avoid.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:33 pm
Start your own topic, if you’d like to. I’m discussing the topics in the opening post, in particular the comment about background checks:
What I just said is very relevant to the topic. I am asking you for evidence, we shouldn't make assumptions.

But oh well, I guess feelings and revelations by the Holy Ghost are more important.
doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:21 pm
Marcus wrote:
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:37 pm
But oh well, I guess feelings and revelations by the Holy Ghost are more important.
Said to an atheist. :roll:
Anyway,
IHAQ wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:16 am
A former Boys Scouts of America and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints leader was arraigned Monday in 39th District Court in Macomb County and charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Mark Chapman, 51, was extradited from New York to face the charges, the Michigan attorney general's office said in a release.

He is facing two counts of first-degree, criminal sexual conduct and eight counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct stemming from the alleged abuse of two victims. Chapman is the first person to be charged as a result of an ongoing Boy Scouts of America investigation, according to Dana Nessel's office.

One of the alleged victims was a family member who was about 11 years old when the abuse, which continued for years, first began, the AG said in announcing the charges earlier this month.

The other victim was allegedly abused by Chapman between the ages of 13-17 at his father's house, Chapman's house and a local church, the AG said.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/news/form ... nal-sexual

The Church needs to acknowledge and embrace that it has a problem as big (if not bigger) as the Catholic Church has been facing with sexual predators gaining positions of trust and responsibility. The Church still doesn’t run background checks before appointing people to leadership positions with responsibility for minors.
Or require fingerprinting, If I recall correctly. Our volunteer organization required that, also.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:39 pm
I don’t need to see a formal comparison of the numbers to know there’s a problem that’s not being addressed, especially with regard to the opening post’s comment that the lds organization ”…still doesn’t run background checks before appointing people to leadership positions with responsibility for minors.”

The Catholic Church does, as do most youth organizations and many other church groups, at least in my experience. Why the lds church is holding out on implementing these types of best practices is beyond me.
I see what you are saying now. But the rates of child sexual abuse are much higher in the Catholic church.

I still want to know
Can you prove that LDS members experience higher rates of child sexual abuse compared to the general population and other religions? Please control for race, poverty, state laws, and religiosity.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:37 pm
Said to an atheist. :roll:
:lol: Yea right! And I am the CEO of Microsoft.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Bishops and other LDS leaders don’t contact local authorities (to what degree I don’t know) when they are made aware of sexual abuse. But it’s not always against the law to fail to report such a crime, the way it might be for a school official or human resources manager.

In Utah, for example, there is an exemption for religious leaders to report abuse or neglect. The law currently reads:
When any individual, including an individual licensed under Title 58, Chapter 31b, Nurse Practice Act, or Title 58, Chapter 67, Utah Medical Practice Act, has reason to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse or neglect, or observes a child being subjected to conditions or circumstances that would reasonably result in abuse or neglect, that individual shall immediately report the alleged abuse or neglect to the nearest peace officer, law enforcement agency, or office of the division.
… the notification requirement described in Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a member of the clergy, with regard to any confession made to the member of the clergy while functioning in the ministerial capacity of the member of the clergy and without the consent of the individual making the confession…
House Bill 90, which would eliminate the exemption for religious leaders, was struck down at the Utah state Capitol in March of 2020.

https://le.utah.gov/~2020/bills/static/HB0090.html

(Rep. Romero is awesome, by the way) - https://house.utleg.gov/rep/ROMERAY/

Anyway, what’s even more disturbing, while the Mormon Church maintains a 24-hour hotline for leadership to report abuse and learn their local laws around contacting authorities, the Cult has been accused of using the hotline to silence victims instead. Why? Forgiveness Cult-ure. Victims are actively encouraged to forgive their abusers, which of course allows them to find new victims. It’s BS.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:47 pm
Bishops and other LDS leaders don’t contact local authorities (to what degree I don’t know) when they are made aware of sexual abuse.
There you go. More assumptions, less studies.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Binger wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:45 pm

Yes.
K&M has them. Plaintiffs in Washington and in Nevada had them. I am sure you already knew that. Not sure why this is a question.
We don't need studies pulled out of your butt.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:47 pm
Bishops and other LDS leaders don’t contact local authorities (to what degree I don’t know) when they are made aware of sexual abuse. But it’s not always against the law to fail to report such a crime, the way it might be for a school official or human resources manager.

In Utah, for example, there is an exemption for religious leaders to report abuse or neglect. The law currently reads:
When any individual, including an individual licensed under Title 58, Chapter 31b, Nurse Practice Act, or Title 58, Chapter 67, Utah Medical Practice Act, has reason to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse or neglect, or observes a child being subjected to conditions or circumstances that would reasonably result in abuse or neglect, that individual shall immediately report the alleged abuse or neglect to the nearest peace officer, law enforcement agency, or office of the division.
… the notification requirement described in Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a member of the clergy, with regard to any confession made to the member of the clergy while functioning in the ministerial capacity of the member of the clergy and without the consent of the individual making the confession…
House Bill 90, which would eliminate the exemption for religious leaders, was struck down at the Utah state Capitol in March of 2020.

https://le.utah.gov/~2020/bills/static/HB0090.html

(Rep. Romero is awesome, by the way) - https://house.utleg.gov/rep/ROMERAY/

Anyway, what’s even more disturbing, while the Mormon Church maintains a 24-hour hotline for leadership to report abuse and learn their local laws around contacting authorities, the Cult has been accused of using the hotline to silence victims instead. Why? Forgiveness Cult-ure. Victims are actively encouraged to forgive their abusers, which of course allows them to find new victims. It’s BS.

- Doc
The hotline went direct to K&M. They may have changed that after a flurry of issues that could be described as conflicts of interest. To suggest that this hotline was used by the corporation to silence victims would be like suggesting a tsunami is used to clean the beach.