LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:38 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Yes, it was a public school. I think it's pretty routine now in public schools, at least in Washington. It's been a few years, but I think I had to be fingerprinted once (done at at a State Patrol office, I think).
An additional personal anecdote/confirmation.

Here in NV, I had to get fingerprinted at the main metro PD station, followed by a background check, to be able to read stories at my son's public school. I don't know if this is a state requirement, district policy, or at the principals discretion though.
I read stories to one of my kids' kindergarten classes. I think I had to do the whole fingerprint and background check then, too.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

A sad letter written by a Mormon Stake President to a victim of incestual rape. This was after interviewing the accused after receiving two letters detailing sexual abuse from the daughters of the Mormon abuser:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3656635 ... ent-letter

Tl;dr - “Welp. Not much I can do about it. God bless you.”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:20 pm
A sad letter written by a Mormon Stake President to a victim of incestual rape. This was after interviewing the accused after receiving two letters detailing sexual abuse from the daughters of the Mormon abuser:

- Doc
Paraphrased: "Not enough people know about it to warrant discipline to protect the image and reputation of the church..." Good god. :(
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:47 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:20 pm

- Doc
Paraphrased: "Not enough people know about it to warrant discipline to protect the image and reputation of the church..." Good god. :(
Unreal. It would never have occurred to me that one of the 3 reasons for disciplining an individual is to protect the church’s image.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

That’s not surprising in a 30 year old letter. I hope the daughter reported the alleged abuse to law enforcement.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Here’s an example of what I would term “unintentional grooming” being discussed in connection with some Florida legislation. The merits or otherwise of the actual legislation are not the point - I’m simply further demonstrating that “unintentional grooming” (desensitising if you prefer) is a widely recognised risk.
“The bill that liberals inaccurately call ‘Don’t Say Gay’ would be more accurately described as an Anti-Grooming Bill,” DeSantis’s spokeswoman Christina Pushaw tweeted March 4. In response to questions from The Washington Post, she elaborated: “Those who read the bill and decide they do support teaching kindergartners about sexuality and gender transition may or may not be trying to exploit children themselves — but by sexualizing young kids and normalizing sexual conversations between adults and children, they are contributing to an environment that endangers children by exposing them to inappropriate content while eroding parental rights.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... t-say-gay/

Bishops’ worthiness interviews contribute to an environment that endangers children and vulnerable adults by normalising the act of unrelated adults asking them intrusive, personal questions.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:23 am

Bishops’ worthiness interviews contribute to an environment that endangers children and vulnerable adults by normalising the act of unrelated adults asking them intrusive, personal questions.

Children and vulnerable adults. Okay. When you say "children" you mean 12 to 17, and when you say "vulnerable adults" you mean adults who have an emotional vulnerability?

So yes, we agree Bishops shouldn't be asking them intrusive, personal questions.

But I would still like to see research on "unintentional grooming". Less speculation, more studies.

Do you have any evidence that there are higher rates of child sexual abuse in the Mormon religion compared to other religions and the general population? And please control for poverty, race, state laws, and religiosity.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:23 am
Here’s an example of what I would term “unintentional grooming” being discussed in connection with some Florida legislation. The merits or otherwise of the actual legislation are not the point - I’m simply further demonstrating that “unintentional grooming” (desensitising if you prefer) is a widely recognised risk.
“The bill that liberals inaccurately call ‘Don’t Say Gay’ would be more accurately described as an Anti-Grooming Bill,” DeSantis’s spokeswoman Christina Pushaw tweeted March 4. In response to questions from The Washington Post, she elaborated: “Those who read the bill and decide they do support teaching kindergartners about sexuality and gender transition may or may not be trying to exploit children themselves — but by sexualizing young kids and normalizing sexual conversations between adults and children, they are contributing to an environment that endangers children by exposing them to inappropriate content while eroding parental rights.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... t-say-gay/

Yes they do.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:05 am
Yes they do.
So if the "unintentional grooming" of Mormon Bishops creates an environment with that endangers children, can you please show us the evidence? Do you have the statistics to prove it? And I am not saying the church can't do more to prevent child sexual abuse, but more can be done almost everywhere. Schools, day care centers can do more to prevent child sexual abuse.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:09 am
So if the Mormon church creates an environment that endangers children, can you please show us the evidence? Do you have the statistics to prove it?

Oh well, I guess it is true because the Holy Ghost told us
I think we both know that there aren't any statistics out there that will show either way that the church causes harm vs it doesn't.

What I think we both can agree on is that one of these two worlds is logically safer for kids.

World 1: A world where children are not alone with adult men where they are asked sexually provocative questions.

World 2: A world where children ARE alone with adult men where they are asked sexually provocative questions.

Only one of those two worlds allows for children to be exposed to predators who would abuse their position of authority to harm children.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith