Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 pm

What does that have to do with fingerprinting requirements?
Nothing, I am just reminding you. You were asking me yesterday and you accused me of cherry-picking the data.

Listen, we don't want another Parkland to happen. The record number of young single men really needs to be declared a health emergency.

And there are con-men like Taylor The Fiend who are becoming very popular. We are living in dangerous times my friend.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:50 pm
Listen, we don't want another Parkland to happen. The record number of young single men really needs to be declared a health emergency.
:shock:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:52 pm

:shock:
Of course. Too many young single men around is kind of scary. Most are not violent, but a tiny percentage of them are very angry and very frustrated.

"Opinion: The most dangerous person in the world"
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/19/opin ... index.html

And the "Red Pill" is radicalizing young men.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

Post by Res Ipsa »

Split thread, UR 4. Moved split to Paradise, UR 5.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Okay, I missed your response, sorry.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:18 pm
Do South and Lei say that the metoo movement intimidating young men is a significant factor in the overall reduction of sexual activity in young people? No!
South and Lei use, "data from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics Transition into Adulthood Supplement (PSID-TAS) for the period from 2007 to 2017." The MeToo movement started in 2017.

Bozick uses, "survey data from men in the National Survey of Family Growth (2006–2019)" and concludes, "While there does not appear to be a secular decline in sexual activity for men, there does appear to be signs of one for the youngest birth cohorts who are starting to enter young adulthood at the time this article was written."
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 3211057710

MeToo is probably a contributing factor. It would be a strange coincidence if it is not.
Res Ipsa wrote:
alcohol consumption likely have causal effects on the probability of engaging in sexual intercourse.
South and Lei blame reduced sociability. A guy with no friends or girlfriend probably doesn't have a good social life.
Res Ipsa wrote:
For young men especially, too busy with work is a important reasons.
Among those "who are not looking for a relationship". There are more young women who are not looking for a relationship.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Jon Birger attributes that difference to voluntary choices by men to postpone committed dating relationships. As the percentage of women in colleges has increased, it has become less important to "lock in" a female partner by investing the time and effort in a committed relationship. With women making up the majority of students, men can have sex without the investment of time and effort in a committed relationship. At least that's what he says in his published books and articles.
Okay. I will think about that, but MeToo is still a contributing factor.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Nothing in your many snippets provides any sort of explanation for why IHAQ's comment made you feel anxious
I am sorry, I was just trying to be funny. No, they don't make me feel anxious (I think).
Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:31 am
What does this have to do with the topic? Please start your own thread if this is what you want to talk about, because it has NOTHING to do with the opening post, which was this:
Well, there you have it. You can have everlasting happiness now.
Res Ipsa wrote:
I don't have the time or the interest to chase down all of cherry picked snippets out of which you have constructed your Gish Gallop. But I can see you doing exactly doing the same thing we've talked about before: cherry picking from studies out of confirmation bias instead of reading the literature and trying to arrive at some reasonable conclusions about what is going on.
I am trying to understand it, and it is very important.

My former dating coach talks about the dangers of too many single young men, and he shares a personal experience.

https://youtu.be/M9KYPqtXwGU?t=164

Do you think it is a valid concern? If you do, what is the solution?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:54 am

There are a million factors that could come into play in terms of changing survey results about sexual practices over time.
Not in the blink of an eye.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:54 am
According to the Pew Report, both sexes report the difficulty in approaching each other as a factor that discourages them from dating. But that's far from the only factor that is reported as discouraging them from dating.
Correct.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
As for the difference in numbers from the Pew Report that you keep insisting has only one explanation, one of your own sources disagrees with you. Jon Birger attributes that difference to voluntary choices by men to postpone committed dating relationships. As the percentage of women in colleges has increased, it has become less important to "lock in" a female partner by investing the time and effort in a committed relationship. With women making up the majority of students, men can have sex without the investment of time and effort in a committed relationship. At least that's what he says in his published books and articles.
What to you make of "Young men driving the decline in sex" chart? There is a 10% difference between young men and young women.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... cord-high/.

Hopefully you have the time to reply, or at least tell me if you agree or disagree. I won't keep bothering you.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:34 am
People in low-income households do tend to grow up much faster.
So if people in low-income households tend to grow up much faster, can you please show us the evidence? Do you have the statistics to prove it?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:44 am
So if people in low-income households tend to grow up much faster, can you please show us the evidence? Do you have the statistics to prove it?

- Doc

There is research, I read it a long time ago. So, I will give you the references later.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:57 am

I would argue that the science differs from what you are saying. Here are some sources. Do you have some sources that back up your claim that I could read? I am open to changing my stance if you can provide evidence. I would be highly surprised to see that low income people have an accelerated development of their pre-frontal cortex. That would be quite amazing.
I have to look for the study I read about people in low-income households, but I'll find it.

For now here is one reference

"For some that could be as early as age 18 or as late as age 30. But the average is around 25 years of age."
https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/brain-myths