Did Trump "Drain" the swamp?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Did Trump "Drain" the swamp?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think the First Step Act was a very positive bill signed into law by President Trump. I don’t know if he saw reforms through, but I think he deserves kudos for signing it and bringing attention to prison reform.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:24 am
Markk wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:43 am
Pakes…

How did he do on fast tracking the vaccines?
Tell me. What's the point of having a vaccine if you can't get it to the people? Trump's "plan" to disburse the vaccine was nothing short of a train wreck because he had no plan and millions of vials were sitting in cold storage while Americans died.

Trump administration had no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan: White House

When Pfizer developed the first vaccine, the NYT reported:
Pfizer has distanced itself from Mr. Trump and Operation Warp Speed. In an interview on Sunday, Kathrin Jansen, a senior vice president and the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, said, “We were never part of the Warp Speed,” adding, “we have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.”
So the vaccine creation relied on zero funding from Trump's "warp speed."

For months we had a vaccine while Americans were still dying by the thousands every day because he wanted to leave it up to the states to handle the logistics. But it wasn't until Biden took over and he federalized the process making vaccinations free to any American who wanted it.
The Biden administration has set out a Covid action plan, which includes measures to facilitate the distribution of vaccines.

The president wants to increase state funding, calling for a $25 billion package for vaccination manufacturing and distribution. This will have to be approved by US lawmakers.

He's planning to open 100 federally funded vaccination sites, as well as mobile units to reach people in remote areas, staffing them with thousands of workers.

More pharmacies will also be used as vaccination sites, further expanding the pool of health professionals delivering vaccines.

And in a significant departure from the previous administration, Biden's team has proposed releasing all available vaccine doses as soon as they become available.
From day one Biden was proving his leadership abilities were far superior than Trump.
So you believe Trump did a poor job is getting the vaccine in pretty much record time…Biden said he deserves credit…what about Collins in these videos?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nih-direct ... 020-07-23/

https://www.axios.com/francis-collins-o ... e71e7.html
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

-_- I don’t think Markk ever reads the links he comes up with from googling. Alex Azar. -_-

Here’s Alex Azar’s wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Azar

Scroll down and start at the Covd-19 synopsis. It doesn’t do justice to the crap how that was Alex “let’s triple the price of insulin” Azar’s career as the pharmaceutical industry’s inside man to federal dollars with regard to how he handled the government’s response to Covid, but it’s worth a gander if you have a minute, or 20 if you’re a Conservative who defaults to YouTube and FoxNews in lieu of running your eyeballs over words.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Did I link a page to Alex Azar?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:02 pm
I don’t think Markk ever reads the links he comes up with from googling.
-_-
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:19 pm
I think the First Step Act was a very positive bill signed into law by President Trump. I don’t know if he saw reforms through, but I think he deserves kudos for signing it and bringing attention to prison reform.

- Doc
Thanks for reminding me of that. It deserves kudos all around, including Trump.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:20 am
K Graham wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:24 am

Tell me. What's the point of having a vaccine if you can't get it to the people? Trump's "plan" to disburse the vaccine was nothing short of a train wreck because he had no plan and millions of vials were sitting in cold storage while Americans died.

Trump administration had no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan: White House

When Pfizer developed the first vaccine, the NYT reported:

So the vaccine creation relied on zero funding from Trump's "warp speed."

For months we had a vaccine while Americans were still dying by the thousands every day because he wanted to leave it up to the states to handle the logistics. But it wasn't until Biden took over and he federalized the process making vaccinations free to any American who wanted it.

From day one Biden was proving his leadership abilities were far superior than Trump.
So you believe Trump did a poor job is getting the vaccine in pretty much record time…Biden said he deserves credit…what about Collins in these videos?

The public-private partnership that Warp Speed represented was perhaps the best thing the Trump administration did in response to the Pandemic. Investing in a basket of different vaccine efforts using different approaches was exactly the right thing to do.

The only criticism I have is that Warp Speed was completely duplicative off the international program that had the same function — the Covax Accelerator. The decision to run a parallel effort was purely political, based on Trump’s hostility toward China and the WHO. Even worse, Warp Speed didn’t even share data as part of the Solidarity Trial, which supplied a broad base of data across countries to evaluate safety and efficacy of vaccines and treatments.

That decision was counterproductive, as it resulted in a glut of vaccines in the US, but a shortage of vaccines in many other countries. And until the rate of transmission is slowed everywhere, variants that originate in countries with insufficient vaccines will result in repeated waves of infection in the US. It’sa perfect example of how “America First” is the wrong strategy when addressing worldwide problems.
he/him

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:21 pm
Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:02 pm
I don’t think Markk ever reads the links he comes up with from googling.
-_-
So what is your point here? I don’t recall ever discussing this guy at all? Are you trying to stay that because he is a politicIan, and a lobbyist, and shifty…Trump didn’t “manage” the fast tracking of the vaccine?
Last edited by Markk on Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:44 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:21 pm

-_-
So what is your point here? I don’t recall ever discussing this guy at all? Are you trying to stay that because he is a political, and a lobbyist, and shifty…Trump didn’t “manage” the fast tracking of the vaccine?
I think you’re placing way too much emphasis on speed. The short time was largely due to the head start researchers had from the work that had been done on a vaccine for SARS-COV-1. As I think Kevin observed, of Pfizer and Moderna, only one was part of Warp Speed. But they were developed with comparable speed.

The good thing about Warp Speed was putting eggs in several baskets, maximizing the chance that we end end up with a successful vaccine or two. in my opinion, that was the right strategy.
he/him

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:42 pm
Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:20 am

The public-private partnership that Warp Speed represented was perhaps the best thing the Trump administration did in response to the Pandemic. Investing in a basket of different vaccine efforts using different approaches was exactly the right thing to do.

The only criticism I have is that Warp Speed was completely duplicative off the international program that had the same function — the Covax Accelerator. The decision to run a parallel effort was purely political, based on Trump’s hostility toward China and the WHO. Even worse, Warp Speed didn’t even share data as part of the Solidarity Trial, which supplied a broad base of data across countries to evaluate safety and efficacy of vaccines and treatments.

That decision was counterproductive, as it resulted in a glut of vaccines in the US, but a shortage of vaccines in many other countries. And until the rate of transmission is slowed everywhere, variants that originate in countries with insufficient vaccines will result in repeated waves of infection in the US. It’sa perfect example of how “America First” is the wrong strategy when addressing worldwide problems.
So he did a great job on this, at least in your opinion, and mine, at least for taking care of Americans first.