Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:59 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:18 pm

If women, in your mind, are pursuing men 3-12 years older than them
Women of all ages pursuing men 12 years older? Not in the US. You are full of crap.
I’ll take that as 1) you answered my question above, but it leads to 2) what countries outside the US exist where women of all ages are pursuing men 3-12 years older than them?
Here is what I said, "I think a lot of women in their late 20s prefer men in their early 30s"
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155240&start=100
Bull***. I quoted you accurately. You said
A lot of women over 26 are getting with men in their 30s, but not enough young men in their early 20s are getting with younger women to make up for the difference.
Here’s the direct link to the page: viewtopic.php?p=2779622#p2779622

Scroll down to your comment made on Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:53 pm.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
How old was the Mexican girl you were seeing when you first started dating her?
In case you missed it.
I answered the question a few days ago. Ask Res Ipsa, I won't repeat myself.
You absolutely did NOT answer that question. You’re making your private life public on a discussion board. You also have let it slipped that you’ve dated a Mexican girl who presumably “matured quickly” and was under the age of 18 while you are in your 20’s. This explains all your odd comments about guys wanting younger women - you have a long history of adamantly declaring this position which has come into focus now. This is wildly inappropriate, so much so I’m wondering if you’re an ephebophile.
My private life is none of your business.

Seriously, just get a job.
You’re correct up to the point you make your private life public, then it’s fair game to discuss. How old was that girl, DT?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 1:51 pm
Plausible is a much more appropriate term.
Okay. We finally agree on something.
Res Ipsa wrote:
It does not say much at all about what that means about the individual’s intelligence, common sennse, street smarts, etc.
Can you please clarify? Are you talking the age when intelligence peaks? What is intelligence? Is it the ability to solve difficult problems? Is it good memory skills? And wouldn't that vary from person to person? I think you may be over-complicating things.

And you never said anything about this study, In this section, we examine several lines of evidence derived from both human and animal research that support the hypothesis that the timing of maturation is contextually plastic, socially mediated, and accelerated by intrafamilial stress"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1935336/

And here is what the Nature paper says, "In conclusion, disparate strands of evidence from neuroscience, psychology and medicine are consistent with a model in which the early environment affects not only the outcome but also the pace of human brain development. We propose that high stress and low cognitive enrichment accelerate developmental changes in cortical thickness and surface area, and shift the trajectory and amplitude of functional network segregation across development. We argue that changes in the pace of brain development also affect plasticity during development."
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41583-021-00457-5

So wouldn't you think it is likely that people (on average) in low-income areas and countries grow up a little bit faster?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:36 pm
Here is what I said, "I think a lot of women in their late 20s prefer men in their early 30s"
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155240&start=100
Bull***. I quoted you accurately. You said
Yes, by cherry-picking what I said. You quoted me when I forgot to include the word "early" before the 30s. I didn't say "all" 30s. And I never said women of all ages want to be with a man who is 12 years older. Seriously what are you going to say next? that a 13 wants to be with 25?

And you also ignored relevant context when I was talking to Res Ipsa about men in their early 20s not dating women who are slightly younger.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
2) what countries outside the US exist where women of all ages are pursuing men 3-12 years older than them?
That is a different topic. I did talk about the problems in Mexico. Are you really that uneducated? How is your question relevant to people living in the US? You are the one planning to go to Brazil :oops:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
How old was that girl, DT?

- Doc

I told you, ask Res Ipsa. I did say how old she was, but I won't repeat myself, Go back and do some reading! .
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon May 02, 2022 1:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
was under the age of 18 while you are in your 20’s.
Now you are contradicting yourselfm "You absolutely did NOT answer that question."

Defamation is illegal. You know that right?

I told you to ask Res Ipsa, he knows. So stop harassing me.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
This is wildly inappropriate
You are an idiot. Seriously, I am not joking.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 1:03 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:31 am
…Nothing in the South & Lei study attributes anything to not enough women willing to date men in specific age ranges, whether absolute or relative.
All the more reason for DT to explain this
Marcus wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 pm

What do you mean by this?

I don't know, you tell me.
Marcus
God

Re: Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

Post by Marcus »

You already answered, and then Res ipsa also gave his opinion, and I agree with him, especially his final advice, quoted below.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:42 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:25 am

What Res Ipsa and the Red Pill culture are saying. Watch the video.

I don't believe in the 20x80 theory, but there may be some truth to it.

Good night! I really have to go to bed now.
DT, you have badly misconstrued what I said. You made a claim about the cause of a difference in percentages between men and women. I created a hypothetical example to illustrate that that the data wasn’t sufficient to support your conclusion. I used an extreme hypothetical so that it was easy to see the alternative explanation.

I never claimed that my hypothetical was actually happening. I said that you were making claims that were not supported by the data you were citing. You then went off on a tangent about “red pill culture.” I ignored it, because it was irrelevant. My point was clearly “I don’t know the cause of the numerical difference and neither do you” — not “I agree with red pill culture.”

It’s the same problem over and over — cherry picking part of something someone says and ignoring the context that contradicts the interpretation you want to place on the words.

In my opinion, you’ve developed some pretty bigoted attitudes toward Mexicans and Mexican Americans based on experiences you had dating a young Mexican woman. It appears to me that you are trying to justify the bigotry by using extremely motivated reasoning to justify your bigotry. As they say, that dog won’t hunt.

Whatever happened had more to do with the individual characteristics of the two of you than simplistic descriptions of large groups. You’d be much better off focusing on how your own beliefs and conduct in the relationship you had than scouring scientific literature for an explanation that lets you of the hook for your part of the interaction. I’d suggest you start with the reasons why you sought out and pursued a relationship with this young woman in the first place. And I’d do it in therapy, not on a message board.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Based off your math you’re stating “a lot of women” ages 27+
- Doc
And why can't you conclude that I was talking about young men not dating women ages 17+? :D
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 1:20 am
You already answered, and then Res ipsa also gave his opinion, and I agree with him, especially his final advice, quoted below.
I already did, Don't need it anymore, I am just fine now.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:45 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Plausible is a much more appropriate term.
Okay. We finally agree on something.
Res Ipsa wrote:
It does not say much at all about what that means about the individual’s intelligence, common sennse, street smarts, etc.
Can you please clarify? Are you talking the age when intelligence peaks? What is intelligence? Is it the ability to solve difficult problems? Is it good memory skills? And wouldn't that vary from person to person? I think you may be over-complicating things.

And you never said anything about this study, In this section, we examine several lines of evidence derived from both human and animal research that support the hypothesis that the timing of maturation is contextually plastic, socially mediated, and accelerated by intrafamilial stress"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1935336/

And here is what the Nature paper says, "In conclusion, disparate strands of evidence from neuroscience, psychology and medicine are consistent with a model in which the early environment affects not only the outcome but also the pace of human brain development. We propose that high stress and low cognitive enrichment accelerate developmental changes in cortical thickness and surface area, and shift the trajectory and amplitude of functional network segregation across development. We argue that changes in the pace of brain development also affect plasticity during development."
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41583-021-00457-5

So wouldn't you think it is likely that people (on average) in low-income areas and countries grow up a little bit faster?
You keep assuming that when these papers use the word “maturation,” they mean something like “behave more like a typical adult.” But that’s not what the researchers are using the term to describe. In fact, it’s not what the papers are talking about at all. The data are all about physical changes to some parts of the brain that typically occur in normally developing brains over time. The papers refer to a body of evidence that appears to show that environment affects the rate of change for those portions of the brain. They use the term maturation to refer to the changes over time.

The state of the research seems to be the presentation of theories for how differences in the environment could affect the rate at which the changes occur at different periods of time. All of the suggested theories are relatively tentative and suggest additional research that needs to be done to understand what causes the rates to change and what consequences those changes might have.

There are Evolutionary Development theories offered as explanations for why humans have relatively long childhood. One of the papers suggests the theory that there is an evolutionary benefit to the relatively slow rate of changes in the brain between birth and adulthood because the developing brain retains plasticity for a longer period of time. Under this theory, speeding up the rate of change is detrimental to brain development because of the shortened period of plasticity.

Although the literature we’ve looked at appears to agree that the faster rate of change is detrimental, none of them attempt to measure the effect in terms of “growing up” or becoming an emotionally mature adult. For all we know, the accelerated rate of physical changes to the brain may interfere with a person becoming an emotionally mature adult.

The one effect that seems to be accepted is that certain environments tend to result in reaching puberty at an earlier age. I haven’t looked at those studies, so I don’t know anything about the evidence or the magnitude of the observed effect.

But in terms of “growing up” or emotional/intellectual/behavioral maturity, none of the studies you’ve cited have even attended to measure that. Certainly such a study could be done by testing adolescents for “maturity” at specific ages and taking MRI images of their brains over time to see if there is a correlation between “growing up” and the observed higher rate of brain changes. But none of these studies even try to do that.

You are simply injecting something you appear to want to be true into these studies. For all you know, truncating the period of plasticity may tend to inhibit the development of maturity in the sense that you are using the word.

Specifically, I’ve said nothing about the one paper because your link is to an abstract of a study that is being a paywall. The abstract itself says nothing about examining the rate at which young people in poor neighborhoods mature, so it’s not relevant to your claim.

As to the nature paper, you are again simply refusing to take the entire paper into account — especially where the authors themselves spell out the limitations of the study. And you are again conflating the notion of a mature person with changes in the physical structure of the brain.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.