do I understand the definition of a woman?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: do I understand the definition of a woman?

Post by Morley »

Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:06 pm
Morley…

From the dictionary of biology ….

woman
1. An adult female person; a grown-up female person, as distinguished from a man or a child; sometimes, any female person. Women are soft, mild pitiful, and flexible. (Shak) And the rib, which the lord god had taken from man, made he a woman. (gen. Ii. 22) I have observed among all nations that the women ornament themselves more than the men; that, wherever found, they are the same kind, civil, obliging, humane, tender beings, inclined to be gay and cheerful, timorous and modest. (J. Ledyard)
2. The female part of the human race; womankind. Man is destined to be a prey to woman. (Thackeray)
3. A female attendant or servant. By her woman I sent your message. Woman hater, one who hates women; one who has an aversion to the female sex; a misogynist.
1. To act the part of a woman in; with indefinite it.
2. To make effeminate or womanish.
3. To furnish with, or unite to, a woman. To have him see me woman’d.
Origin: OE. Woman, womman, wumman, wimman, wifmon, AS. Wifmann, wimmann; wif woman, wife – mann a man. See Wife, and Man.

https://www.biologyonline.com/dictionary

So I assume you are a man, correctly if I am wrong? But either way, man or woman you compare a woman as an object, comparable to a piece of art? Correct?
Markk, you have to admit that your source demonstrates exactly what I was saying. It shows how the word woman is a cultural construct.

Thank you for that.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:20 pm
Markk wrote:
Morley…

woman
1. An adult female person; a grown-up female person, as distinguished from a man or a child; sometimes, any female person. Women are soft, mild pitiful, and flexible. (Shak) And the rib, which the lord god had taken from man, made he a woman. (gen. Ii. 22) I have observed among all nations that the women ornament themselves more than the men; that, wherever found, they are the same kind, civil, obliging, humane, tender beings, inclined to be gay and cheerful, timorous and modest. (J. Ledyard)
2. The female part of the human race; womankind. Man is destined to be a prey to woman. (Thackeray)
3. A female attendant or servant. By her woman I sent your message. Woman hater, one who hates women; one who has an aversion to the female sex; a misogynist.
Origin: OE. Woman, womman, wumman, wimman, wifmon, AS. Wifmann, wimmann; wif woman, wife – mann a man. See Wife, and Man.

So I assume you are a man, correctly if I am wrong? But either way, man or woman you compare a woman as an object, comparable to a piece of art? Correct?
Markk, you have to admit that your source demonstrates exactly what I was saying. It shows how the word woman is a cultural construct.

Thank you for that.
Yes it is, although about a century behind. Markk’s source took the definition from Webster’s dictionary, published in 1913.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Women are soft, mild pitiful, and flexible
My wife is not mild, pitiful, or flexible. Therefore, I am gay.

What a day of self-discovery it has been.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:37 pm
Morley wrote:

Thank you for that.
Yes it is, although about a century behind. Markk’s source took the definition from Webster’s dictionary, published in 1913.
Given what Markk has said, makes sense.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Morley wrote:
Markk wrote:
Morley…

woman

Thank you for that.
It shows that in terms of biology, the definition of the word woman, is a female human being. Not a thing, like a subjected piece of art. That was my point.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:11 pm
Morley wrote:

Thank you for that.
It shows that in terms of biology, the definition of the word woman, is a female human being. Not a thing, like a subjected piece of art. That was my point.
Ah. Do you accept and endorse the rest of the definition, then?
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Markk wrote:
Morley wrote:

Thank you for that.
This is not biology. This is someone putting a website together using some sometimes archaic definitions, as Marcus has shown.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

It was in 1967 when long hair on young men started appearing out in the rural hinterlands of the American west. There were jokes especially from older people asking is it a guy or a girl. A friends mother made a joke about seeing him walking down the street with the ugliest girl. (it was a male friend, Glen) So how can you tell?

Actually young people quickly learned that making the observations about the difference was pretty easy. I think that might be related to the fact that there is something about the difference that matters to young single humans. Sexual instincts create strong motivation to make observations that clarify the difference.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Morley wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 pm
Markk wrote:

This is not biology. This is someone putting a website together using some sometimes archaic definitions, as Marcus has shown.
It says, "Biology Online" and confirms what Markk already thinks by combining a sociological concept that is defined by the norms of cultures in differing ways with a marginally biological idea of it referring to mature females. But most importantly, it is idealized so as to define "womanhood" in a prescriptive manner that gets back to how things really ought to be. So of course it is authoritative. ;)
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:06 am
I am a carpenter not a rare disease guru, if I am wrong here please correct me.
People with this condition are genetically male, with one X chromosome and one Y chromosome...Complete androgen insensitivity syndrome occurs when the body cannot use androgens at all. People with this form of the condition have the external sex characteristics of females, but do not have a uterus and therefore do not menstruate and are unable to conceive a child (infertile). They are typically raised as females and have a female gender identity. Affected individuals have male internal sex organs (testes) that are undescended, which means they are abnormally located in the pelvis or abdomen.
https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/condit ... -syndrome/

Explain it.
Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:06 am
tell me what a rare disease that affects the natural growth of the of male genitalia, has to do anything with the definition of a woman.
I don't know, you tell me. What is a woman?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: