Hallucinations and The Phantom God: What Neuroscience Reveals (October 2022)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Hallucinations and The Phantom God: What Neuroscience Reveals (October 2022)

Post by huckelberry »

Rivendale,

I though lucky sock was pretty odd thing to bring up . A bit more reflection and I found myself thinking that lucky sock is a safer idea than sending money to one of those tv creeps to get a healing cloth (a specially blessed sock with an extra dose of faith) returned to you with a request for more money, have faith you know....

My dog does that projection of a meaningful images on chaos thing like people do. His sense of smell is much much clearer than mine but not his eyesight. Bark bark , there is something there just beside the shadow, I am sure of it...
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Hallucinations and The Phantom God: What Neuroscience Reveals (October 2022)

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:00 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:30 am

Do you believe in Faith healing?
doubtingthomas,

No I do not believe in faith healing. I do not think working up a whole bunch of faith is going to cause miracles. I do not believe people get sick and suffer because of faith failures. I think there is a body of bad thinking connected with the phrase. I think people get manipulated and taken advantage of by the premise of faith healing.

Just back away and quietly leave such productions.

Makes sense. So what kind of miracles do you believe in? Do you believe god heals the sick?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:10 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:00 am

doubtingthomas,

No I do not believe in faith healing. I do not think working up a whole bunch of faith is going to cause miracles. I do not believe people get sick and suffer because of faith failures. I think there is a body of bad thinking connected with the phrase. I think people get manipulated and taken advantage of by the premise of faith healing.

Just back away and quietly leave such productions.

Makes sense. So what kind of miracles do you believe in? Do you believe god heals the sick?
I think he might but I do not think it is the expected situation. I think the more usual miracle is renewal of hope courage and appreciation of the value of life.(faith)
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:36 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:10 am

I think he might but I do not think it is the expected situation. I think the more usual miracle is renewal of hope courage and appreciation of the value of life.(faith)
I appreciate the nuance but to me it feels like gaslighting if that’s what God actually wants us to believe.

A married man cheating on his wife would make his wife believe he never made a promise to be faithful, or she interpreted it wrong, or the infidelity will make their marriage even stronger.

God is the cheating husband making excuses for his behavior that is the opposite of what his scripture plainly says. Blaming the wife (traditional literal believer) for misinterpreting the wedding vows.

If you asked Christians if they believe prayer has the power to heal the sick, most would say yes. They wouldn’t be talking about the televangelist garbage either.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:12 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:36 am

I appreciate the nuance but to me it feels like gaslighting if that’s what God actually wants us to believe.

A married man cheating on his wife would make his wife believe he never made a promise to be faithful, or she interpreted it wrong, or the infidelity will make their marriage even stronger.

God is the cheating husband making excuses for his behavior that is the opposite of what his scripture plainly says. Blaming the wife (traditional literal believer) for misinterpreting the wedding vows.

If you asked Christians if they believe prayer has the power to heal the sick, most would say yes. They wouldn’t be talking about the televangelist garbage either.
drumdude, I think Christians, at least aged beyond young children, are experienced in prayers for healing resulting in no apparent medical results.People recover through the natural extended healing process. People may not heal and instead die. As we get older we all experience having somebody we love suffer and die.

Writers in the Bible are certainly aware of the problem. They combine the hope of prayer with reality that everybody knows. fulfillment of some prayer can only be hoped for in heaven. Hopes in this life are all cut short.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:57 pm

Writers in the Bible are certainly aware of the problem. They combine the hope of prayer with reality that everybody knows. fulfillment of some prayer can only be hoped for in heaven. Hopes in this life are all cut short.
You don't have to believe in the Bible to hope for the afterlife.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:02 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:57 pm

You don't have to believe in the Bible to hope for the afterlife.
Well yes, sure.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:05 pm

Well yes, sure.
Why do you believe in the Bible?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:33 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:05 pm

Well yes, sure.
Why do you believe in the Bible?
Jesus
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:14 pm
Jesus
Who is this Jesus of Nazareth?