Hallucinations and The Phantom God: What Neuroscience Reveals (October 2022)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Hallucinations and The Phantom God: What Neuroscience Reveals (October 2022)

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:22 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:14 pm
Jesus
Who is this Jesus of Nazareth?
the light of the world

////
are you really trying to get me to say I believe Jesus because the Bible says so and I believe the Bible because Jesus says so? That leaves a lot out such as the effect Jesus has had and continues to have.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Hallucinations and The Phantom God: What Neuroscience Reveals (October 2022)

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:23 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:22 am

Who is this Jesus of Nazareth?
the light of the world

////
are you really trying to get me to say I believe Jesus because the Bible says so and I believe the Bible because Jesus says so? That leaves a lot out such as the effect Jesus has had and continues to have.
No. What effect? Did Jesus do something for you?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:54 am
huckelberry wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:23 pm

the light of the world

////
No. What effect? Did Jesus do something for you?
Oh Lord wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz,
My friends all drive Porches, you must make amends.....

I got to see hear Janis Joplin in a folk music club in Austin Texas a bit before she became really famous. I sat about twenty feet away, she played six string acoustic guitar and sang folks songs. It was a special musical night.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:33 am

I'll sell you are Mercedes Benz for five hundred dollars. Just trust me. I'll give you the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:28 am
huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:33 am

I'll sell you are Mercedes Benz for five hundred dollars. Just trust me. I'll give you the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
But you see I actually heard Janis Joplin and hearing something of value is worth more than your straw Mercedes. This is true of hearing Janis even though that was not the most valuable musical experience in my life. It does represent how hearing something can be a gift of real value even though it doesnot provide any miracle gifts like a Mercedes or a Red Rider BB gun.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:22 pm
]
But you see I actually heard Janis Joplin and hearing something of value is worth more than your straw Mercedes.

I see, do you think medical research is valuable? Because most Christians are against stem cell research.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:10 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:22 pm
]
But you see I actually heard Janis Joplin and hearing something of value is worth more than your straw Mercedes.

I see, do you think medical research is valuable? Because most Christians are against stem cell research.
doubting thomas , I am not a chess expert but i learned how to employ a fork attack while still in grade school.

Medical research is valuable and important. Of course it is obviously. Why doubt that? That does not mean every possible experiment is justified. One can think of unjustified examples such as choosing people with syphilis to not treat as an experiment. I do not have a set rule about stem cell research however.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:54 pm
Sounds like a fair appraisal. He is trained in neuroscience, but he's specialized in protein folding for quite a while now, working for his own small company. It's hard to predict how representative of mainstream neuroscience the book will be until it's published. That we're seeing this in a book written for lay people rather than in the peer reviewed literature heightens my skepticism, but I guess we'll see.
Available next week, but I'm not going to read it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:19 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:54 pm
Sounds like a fair appraisal. He is trained in neuroscience, but he's specialized in protein folding for quite a while now, working for his own small company. It's hard to predict how representative of mainstream neuroscience the book will be until it's published. That we're seeing this in a book written for lay people rather than in the peer reviewed literature heightens my skepticism, but I guess we'll see.
Available next week, but I'm not going to read it.
What led you to change your mind?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:28 pm

What led you to change your mind?
I'll probably read it next year. I don't have a lot of spare time right now to read and closely analyze a book just for fun.

And as you said it's not published peer-reviewed research, but hopefully you read it so you can give us your opinion.