Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by Xenophon »

Eh, you didn't need the gimme anyway. I kind of hate that everyone isn't on the same cycle, makes the challenge between players a harder thing. Just you against the map I suppose.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:37 pm
Eh, you didn't need the gimme anyway. I kind of hate that everyone isn't on the same cycle, makes the challenge between players a harder thing. Just you against the map I suppose.
True. If they ever update it I hope they make it more like the Wordle.

That said the experiment shows that missing a day is a missed opportunity one doesn't get back. So not wasted per se.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Today's wasn't exactly a gimme, but it was the first one where using the boundary helped me guess it. The flag, OTOH, threw me off so I guessed wrong the first time. I would never have guessed this country's flag looked like it does though it made sense after thinking about it.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

My own performance today was abysmal. I know next to nothing about this entire continent.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Morley wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:01 pm
My own performance today was abysmal. I know next to nothing about this entire continent.
I feel the same way. I guessed it's neighbor after the capital was the clue but that didn't matter. Even if I'd have had another guess I wouldn't have known what other countries border that one.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Morley wrote:
I struggled today too, didn't get it until the end and only because it spots me the capital.

I don't know how y'all work through it but this is my general deduction process when I'm fairly stumped:
  • I know roughly what I don't know. The continent it was on is my weakest knowledge wise so if I literally don't recognize anything I can surmise it is on that continent (my first guess can be used for placement as well)
  • The shape of the country tells me there is a water all along the western edge (less distinct border with islands and inlets) so now I know where on the continent it is.
  • Then I just try to picture the map and rule out obvious answers.
  • Start guessing the gaps and hope the clues get me the rest of the way.
That obviously only gets me so far, as I'd say I can only recall the countries of about 30-50% of the continent in my head depending on current brain power that day, so if it was in that group I can't even name then I'm just doomed.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:17 pm
Morley wrote:
I struggled today too, didn't get it until the end and only because it spots me the capital.

I don't know how y'all work through it but this is my general deduction process when I'm fairly stumped:
  • I know roughly what I don't know. The continent it was on is my weakest knowledge wise so if I literally don't recognize anything I can surmise it is on that continent (my first guess can be used for placement as well)
  • The shape of the country tells me there is a water all along the western edge (less distinct border with islands and inlets) so now I know where on the continent it is.
  • Then I just try to picture the map and rule out obvious answers.
  • Start guessing the gaps and hope the clues get me the rest of the way.
That obviously only gets me so far, as I'd say I can only recall the countries of about 30-50% of the continent in my head depending on current brain power that day, so if it was in that group I can't even name then I'm just doomed.
That's roughly my process with the percentages far, far lower.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Playing Worldle every day has been an exercise in humility. The hardest thing for me is to triangulate, when Guess #1 is 1000 km from the country and Guess #2 is 2000 km away. If I don't know the name of the Capital, I usually get a sense of where it is by sound of the name, but chances are that if I didn't get after 2 guesses I'm not going to get it.

Tomorrow I'm going to cheat and study a map of the world before I play.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:42 am
Tomorrow I'm going to cheat and study a map of the world before I play.
I don't do it before but I do spend a little time refreshing myself afterwards. Looking at neighboring countries and regions especially. My hope is I'm building more reference points to call back on while not being overwhelmed. I do think being able to recall the world map, even if all the country names don't come in, is a vital first step.

If it is a country I know next to nothing about I'll also spend a little time down the wiki rabbit hole.
He/Him

― Xenophon
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:11 pm
That's roughly my process with the percentages far, far lower.
I'm likely heavily biased in my own favor. I'm still waiting to get hit with multiple Comoros (read as country I literally haven't even heard of) in a row. That's the juice my ego needs :lol:.
He/Him

― Xenophon