Paradise Split from Signs of Our Times

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Paradise Split from Signs of Our Times

Post by Res Ipsa »

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:35 pm
:) Myself and family have total health care coverage.
Doesn’t Australia have a taxpayer funded universal health plan that can be supplemented by individually purchased private health insurance?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:26 pm
Doesn’t Australia have a taxpayer funded universal health plan that can be supplemented by individually purchased private health insurance?

Canada has that as well.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:26 pm

Canada has that as well.
Yep. My family hails from Alberta, and most of them still live in Canada. They regularly rank my chain about our "system." I keep offering to trade. None of them ever take me up on it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

er, more to the point, Hitler had socialized healthcare. (the 'care' part might be disputed but state-run just like evil Canada. Can Liz live with Hitler being almost as bad as Canada?).
Elizabeth
Stake President

Re: Signs of Our Times.

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:39 am
Beware mis-translations of Bible, when the Bible has been deliberately altered.
Some of these omissions have profound doctrinal implications.

NIV – "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

NKJV –" But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."

Mark 11:26 - major doctrinal point
NIV – MISSING.

NKJV – "But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses."

NIV denies putting gender neutral translations in its own publicity, and a feminist agenda, despite statements from individuals involved. Their own statement sounds great:

Is the NIV Gender Neutral? - NIV Bible

They claim "all [our committee] firmly believe that the original manuscripts are the inspired Word of God and completely free from error, being the work of authors who were directed by the Spirit of God (2 Peter 1:20-21, 2 Timothy 3:16). To bring any type of feminist agenda to their translation work would be to fail in their God-given calling."

Sounds great, it's almost plausible until you look outside their own publicity.

Here's one of those very people who has not brought "any type of feminist agenda" in.

1984 NIV John 14:23 'Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father
will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.'
2011 NIV John 14:23 'Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father
will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.'

This has a double problem. "We will come to him and make our home with him," could refer to Heavenly Father as much as the person who obeys Jesus' teacher, so using a plural pronoun has additional issues.

Over 60,000 words and phrases are deleted in the NIV, mostly those that do not support the mores of the translators. Entire verses are omitted:
Matthew 17:21
Matthew 23:14
Mark 7:16
Mark 9:44
Mark 9:46
Mark 11:26
Mark 15:28
Luke 17:36
John 5:3–4
Acts 8:37
Acts 15:34
Acts 24:6–8
Acts 28:29
Romans 16:24

Not even a footnote in some cases.

The NKJV and NIV disagree on many points, again, the NIV omits Christ:
“And to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things” (NIV).

“And to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ” (NKJV).

Virginia Ramey Mollenkott (see pic above): Literary consultant. Episcopal magazine, Witness (June 1991, pp. 20-23), above she admits,

From a letter she wrote to Michael J. Penfold.

1984 NIV 1 Samuel 18:2 "From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his
father’s house."
2011 NIV 1 Samuel 18:2 "From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return home
to his family."

1984 NIV Psalm 8:4 "what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for
him?"
2011 NIV Psalm 8:4 "what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care
for them?" (Obvious issue here is that phrase the "son of man" has particular resonance)

The NIV (2011) changes “Women” to “weaklings’ in verses like Nahum 3:13; Isa. 19:16; Jer. 50:37; and Jer.51:30.
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

“The demise of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century,” said Russia’s new ruler Vladimir Putin in his 2005 state of the nation address.

“As for the Russian people,” Putin went on, “it became a genuine tragedy. Tens of millions of our fellow citizens and countrymen found themselves beyond the fringes of Russian territory.”

From Putin’s standpoint, the statement was then and remains today understandable.

Consider. When Putin entered his country’s secret service, Berlin was 110 miles deep inside a Soviet-occupied East Germany. Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria were member states of the Warsaw Pact.

Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia were republics of the USSR. Ukraine was the most populous and ethnically closest of the Soviet republics to Russia itself.

And today? Berlin is the capital of a united, free and democratic Germany, a member of NATO, that is beginning a rearmament campaign triggered by Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria are members of the U.S.-led North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Former Soviet republics Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are also members of that Western alliance established to contain Russia.

Sweden and Finland, neutral through the Cold War, are applying for membership in NATO.

Ukraine, backed by the U.S. and NATO, is fighting a war to push the Russian army out of its territory, a war that has the support of almost every country on the continent of Europe.

Even the falls of the British and French empires at the end of World War II do not match as geo-strategic disasters the collapse of the Soviet Empire and breakup of the Soviet Union since the end of the Cold War.

How goes the Russian war in Ukraine launched on Feb. 24?

Russia has enlarged the territory it controls in Crimea and its Luhansk and Donetsk enclaves in the Donbas. And now, with the fall of Mariupol, Moscow controls the entire Sea of Azov and has completed its land bridge from Russia to Crimea.

But Russia has failed to capture and been forced by the Ukrainian army to retreat from Kyiv and Kharkiv, the largest cities in Ukraine, and Putin has seen his forces humiliated again and again.

Yet, withal, Russia today remains a great power.

The largest nation on earth with twice the territory of the U.S., Russia has the world’s largest nuclear arsenal and exceeds the U.S. and China in tactical nuclear weapons. It has vast tracks of land and sits on huge deposits of minerals, coal, oil and gas.

But Russia also has glaring weaknesses and growing vulnerabilities.

While Putin has built up impressive forces in the Arctic, the Baltic Sea, with Finland and Sweden joining the Western alliance, is becoming a NATO lake. Russian warships sailing out of St. Petersburg to the Atlantic have to traverse the coastal defenses of 11 present or future NATO nations: Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Britain and France.

Among the questions that Russia, shrunken in so many ways from the great U.S. rival of the Cold War it once was, must answer is, “Quo Vadis?”

Where does Mother Russia go from here?

Bitter at their losses in the Cold War and post-Cold War years, many Russian nationalists are urging the regime to align with today’s great power antagonist of the United States, Xi Jinping’s China.

This is a recipe for a Second Cold War, but how would that war avail the Russian nation and its people?

In any Russia-China alliance, there is no doubt who will be senior partner. And it is not the U.S. that covets and wishes one day to control the resources of Russia from Novosibirsk to the Bering Sea.

China’s population of 1.4 billion people is 10 times Russia’s. East of the Urals, China’s population is 50 to 100 times the size of Russia’s in Siberia and the Far East.

What of a U.S.-Russia detente as Moscow’s future rather than Cold War II?

During some of the coldest days of the Cold War, U.S. presidents like Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan sought to find common ground on which to stand with Russia to avoid conflict.

Ike invited the “Butcher of Budapest,” Nikita Khrushchev, for a 12-day U.S. visit in 1959. Nixon initiated a “detente” with Leonid Brezhnev, who had ordered the Warsaw Pact to crush the “Prague Spring” in 1968. Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev negotiated the dismantling of an entire class of nuclear weapons in the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty.

Given the hostility Putin has generated by his invasion of Ukraine, Western leaders may be unable to bring Russia in from the cold. But if we isolate Russia, push it out of the West, Moscow has only one direction in which to go — east, to China.

https://americanactionnews.com/politics ... sia-rs-sc/
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

A White Rose,
a new beginning.

Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth
Stake President

Signs of Our Times.

Post by Elizabeth »

Life, and the right to life, begins at conception.
Abortion is murder and a serious accountable sin at judgement.
Those who do not wish to create life should not conceive.
If such is forced upon them without consent the only moral option is to do all required to deliver a healthy baby, and agree to adoption.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:17 pm
…Those who do not wish to create life should not conceive...
:roll: