“My nonchalant awesomeness hurt you?? Bummer.”: A Mopologetic Myth Deepens

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: “My nonchalant awesomeness hurt you?? Bummer.”: A Mopologetic Myth Deepens

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:27 pm
His track record on these types of stories is not solid. I recall on the previous board a thread noting that DCP used to tell an old story about meeting Gloria Steinem and, of course, something like stumping her with an amazing question that put him in a good light. :roll: He recycled this story a couple of times in 2015, until a poster on the old board looked into it and produced evidence that showed it to be… less than credible. He hasn’t reposted it since. Unlike virtually every other piece of writing he reposts repeatedly.
I think I sleuthed this one out, and … ta da! He’s telling the truth! I think! If you go here:

https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ybsea ... kId=168640

and scroll down to “1970 Yearbook: page 158” it says:
(Top Right) Dan Peterson A.S.B. President
Good for him, and *shocked* he’s actually telling the truth! I think!

eta: After a little more digging -> Rated: True!

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

It’s tough to predict which volume of the forthcoming 7-volume A Reasonable Leap into the Light will contain the class president election story. I don’t know if others saw the proprietor’s surprising note that he may publish his forthcoming works electronically rather than in print. I must confess that I did not see that particular announcement coming.

I do hope the proprietor will include this inspirational bit in his magnum opus:
Over dinner tonight, the conversation turned to people we’ve known who weren’t particularly sophisticated, or who had a difficult time with the Word of Wisdom or whatever, but who were reliably on the scene when service was called for — and how much we’ve come to admire such people and to hope the best for them.

I had one man particularly in mind. He sometimes worked for the construction company that my not-yet converted father and my never-a-member uncle founded and owned, and he was an adult convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (I expect that he’s been gone for decades, but I won’t name him because I don’t want to risk embarrassing his family.) He wasn’t a well-educated man. His grammar was poor, and I’ve sometimes joked, in recalling him to my wife and kids, that he had no idea at all where to locate 2 Nephi in the Old Testament. But even as a rather oblivious early teen, I noticed that he was the first to arrive at service projects and the last to leave, and that he was at every single such project in which I ever participated — and quite a few others besides. If there was a widow’s house to be fixed, he was there. Sometimes I was, too, but I had little to offer. I realized then that, while he was far from cultivated or urbane, and while I aspired in those days to be at least somewhat more cultivated and urbane than I was, he was worth minimally two of me. I was convinced then, and I’m convinced now, that he will occupy a wonderful place in the celestial kingdom. Me, though? Well, I can hope.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Ryan Larsen
Sunbeam

Post by Ryan Larsen »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:57 pm
Marcus wrote: Ok. I’d need to see the actual documentation for this because in my reading, KM has a problem with adequately documenting statements like this. He tends to play fast and loose with actual meaning.
:roll: How predictable is Muhlestein’s in his propensity to exaggerate other’s works to support his lds assumptions. It turns out way back in 2015, this statement of his was debunked. Here.
_No_Hidden_Agenda wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 pm
An enterprising enquirer over at Reddit reached out to one of the scholars referenced in the Church's Book of Abraham essay to inquire whether her work was being properly used by the church. Does not go well for the church:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ed_in_the/

Hi, Marcus. What do you think about the possibility that the vignette for Facsimile 1 may have been copied, whether in full or in part, from a temple wall anciently? It seems to me that would indicate some special circumstances under which we might make greater allowance for outside possibilities for apologists to work with.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Ryan Larsen wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:13 am
Marcus wrote:

:roll: How predictable is Muhlestein’s in his propensity to exaggerate other’s works to support his lds assumptions. It turns out way back in 2015, this statement of his was debunked. Here.
Hi, Marcus. What do you think about the possibility that the vignette for Facsimile 1 may have been copied, whether in full or in part, from a temple wall anciently? It seems to me that would indicate some special circumstances under which we might make greater allowance for outside possibilities for apologists to work with.
Yes my brother. It is definitely a possibility, like anything else is. Good luck in your sacred quest. Go forth in righteousness and return and report!
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

I’m not sure if he’s more an Al Bundy or an Uncle Rico.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:45 am
It’s tough to predict which volume of the forthcoming 7-volume A Reasonable Leap into the Light will contain the class president election story. I don’t know if others saw the proprietor’s surprising note that he may publish his forthcoming works electronically rather than in print. I must confess that I did not see that particular announcement coming.
Electronic is probably the easiest way for Daniel to finish this project in all the spare time he will have once he has passed on into the grave.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Tom wrote:It’s tough to predict which volume of the forthcoming 7-volume A Reasonable Leap into the Light will contain the class president election story.
For those who are stumped, the answer follow below.

As for the story about the guy who worked for Dad's construction company, wow. Thorstein Veblen said that evidence of leisure manifests not just in accumulating useless things, but impractical intellectual pursuits of "refinements" such as learning dead languages. The goal of the leisure class, the upper crust of society that does things like, travel constantly and take in cultural events, defines itself against people who can't afford to do these things for one, but all in all, by being as useless as possible. Any practical knowledge could imply a need to work.

In this case, it's not just the pursuit, but the shameless bragging about the pursuit. "Oh my, my auto has a rattle, I'd better bring it to my mechanic forthright! That man was born dirt poor and has had to learn many skills just to afford to eat! Look at me, born rich and smart, I could learn his trades if I wanted to, but I have no need. Better to put my wits toward good manners, music appreciation, and knowledge of foreign lands so people will know that I was born with it all, unlike my mechanic!"

But it's rare to see a case so by-the-book in modern times. Remember, the book was written at the turn of the century, the Nineteenth Century. Today, status symbols are no less important than back then, but the symbols themselves aren't as cut and dry. A big house and a nice car are obvious acquisitions but then, look at Musk. And a person doesn't have to be portly and soft. Rich people might work out constantly and get tans, or even become vegetarians. Their cultural interests might only be with popular culture. They might dress like slobs on purpose just to shock people that they are actually rich. Yet, here is a person who sticks with the old canon. Fine dining. Travel. Going to the theater to watch plays. Listening to chamber music. Getting pictures taken wearing a suit. Having more than one office. Pedantic on grammar, especially in brushes with the underclass. What's next, a horse and carriage?

------------------

The answer:

Volumes I, II, III, V, VI, VII, IV
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Ryan Larsen wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:13 am
Marcus wrote:

What you are asking is not clear. Are you referring to the reasoning in Muhlestein’s footnote, which is what I was talking about?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dean Robbers:

It’s hard to disagree with anything you’ve said here. The fact that Dr. Peterson only ever seems to read the first and last ten pages of any and all books reinforces your point. (One wonders if this tendency applies to the Book of Mormon as well…)

But I wonder if you might draw a clearer connect with the story about crushing the would-be senior class president… I feel that we need your special insight to draw out the ways that the anecdote highlights the fundamental “uselessness” of the members of the Mopologetic leisure class….
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:06 am
Tom wrote:It’s tough to predict which volume of the forthcoming 7-volume A Reasonable Leap into the Light will contain the class president election story.
For those who are stumped, the answer follow below.

As for the story about the guy who worked for Dad's construction company, wow.
No kidding.
daniel c. Peterson, disparaging a person, wrote: …but I won’t name him because I don’t want to risk embarrassing his family.) He wasn’t a well-educated man. His grammar was poor, and I’ve sometimes joked, in recalling him to my wife and kids, that he had no idea at all where to locate 2 Nephi in the Old Testament...
:roll: How kind of him to recognize that the way he talked about the man would embarrass his family. So instead, he posts it on a public blog, repeatedly. And apparently, disparaging others counts as humor in his family.