Interpreter apologists wrestle with Nephi’s transoceanic vessel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Interpreter apologists wrestle with Nephi’s transoceanic vessel

Post by MG 2.0 »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:20 pm
I really find it odd to think somebody would describe their own work as curious.
That is curious. Are there examples of a similar usage by others in Joseph Smith’s world and writings that were readily available to him?

Examples?

It is indeed curious that Nephi would use that descriptor.

Or not??

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

huckelberry wrote:
I reviewed the Jaredite barges story and found myself reflecting on a little observation of a kind Shulem might like.

Both Nephi's boat and Jared's barges were made of curious workmanship. I think other things in the Book of Mormon were made curious as well but I am not remembering for sure. The two examples are interesting. I really find it odd to think somebody would describe their own work as curious. The word is clearly indicating something strange and foreign. If I go to the store and see a lawn mower I do not think of it as curious workmanship. There are old artifacts from China which are of curious workmanship.If I make something according to new instructions it may be new to me but it is an odd choice of words to say it is of curious workmanship.

I think the phrase fits a distant storyteller. It is a phrase inviting a sense of wonder and Marvel. The storyteller is inviting the listener or reader to join in the wonder. I find it unlikely Nephi would look at their project and call it curious. Call it perhaps sturdy, something to be proud of , perhaps thankful that they could do it

It is not so clear who is supposed to be calling the barges curious workmanship. Who is narrating this story? Who ever it is they seem to wish to nudge the hearer closer to accepting the land of wonder.

This is an observation that proves absolutely nothing. It contributes to making the story sound like fantasy fiction.
I agree with the storytelling rationale. I think William Davis would also, in his discussion of Smith's oral storytelling hustory.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:34 pm
huckelberry wrote:
I really find it odd to think somebody would describe their own work as curious.
That is curious. Are there examples of a similar usage by others in Joseph Smith’s world and writings that were readily available to him?

Examples?

Or not??

Regards,
MG

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/Mormon ... l&size=All

The Book of Mormon

7 matches.

THE TESTIMONY OF EIGHT WITNESSES

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

THE FIRST BOOK OF NEPHI, HIS REIGN AND MINISTRY

1 Nephi 16

[10] And it came to pass that as my father arose in the morning, and went forth to the tent door, to his great astonishment he beheld upon the ground a round ball of curious workmanship; and it was of fine brass. And within the ball were two spindles; and the one pointed the way whither we should go into the wilderness.

1 Nephi 18
[1] And it came to pass that they did worship the Lord, and did go forth with me; and we did work timbers of curious workmanship. And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbers of the ship.

THE BOOK OF ALMA THE SON OF ALMA

Alma 37
[39] And behold, there cannot any man work after the manner of so curious a workmanship. And behold, it was prepared to show unto our fathers the course which they should travel in the wilderness.

Alma 63
[5] And it came to pass that Hagoth, he being an exceedingly curious man, therefore he went forth and built him an exceedingly large ship, on the borders of the land Bountiful, by the land Desolation, and launched it forth into the west sea, by the narrow neck which led into the land northward.

THE BOOK OF HELAMAN

Helaman 6
[11] And behold, there was all manner of gold in both these lands, and of silver, and of precious ore of every kind; and there were also curious workmen, who did work all kinds of ore and did refine it; and thus they did become rich.

THE BOOK OF ETHER

Ether 10
[27] And they did make all manner of weapons of war. And they did work all manner of work of exceedingly curious workmanship.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

MG 2.0 wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

Examples?

Or not??

Regards,
MG
MG, Sorry I am unsure what you are asking about. Examples of what? I am unsure what difference would be made by the number of times Joseph ran in to the phrase, curious workmanship.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Thanks Morley, and to think the witnesses had the same quirk in translation phrasing.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

perhaps a bird suggested the phrase

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door."

//////
But that is not the same curious.
Well no but the word brings a scent.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

Examples?

Or not??

Regards,
MG
Sigh … 25 years of this nonsense. It’s used throughout The Late War.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:54 pm
Thanks Morley, and to think the witnesses had the same quirk in translation phrasing.
To think. :roll: It’s yet another of those things that those like mentalgymnast will brazenly ignore.

But, they add up. His obfuscations and excuses have long since run out.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:13 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Examples?

Or not??

Regards,
MG
Sigh … 25 years of this nonsense. It’s used throughout The Late War.

- Doc
NOW the strong ships of war of the kingdom of Great Britain were spread over the whole face of the waters of the ocean. 2 But few, indeed, were the vessels of Columbia that were fighting ships, and carried the destroying engines. 3 Howsoever, early in the morning of the eighteenth day of the tenth month, about the sixth hour, being on the sabbath day, 4 One of the ships of Columbia, called the Wasp, the name of the captain whereof was Jones, a valiant man, discovered afar off one of the strong ships of the king. 5 Now the ship of Britain was mightier than the ship of Columbia ; and she was called the Frolic, and the captain's name was Whinyeates. 6 And they began to utter their thunders about the eleventh hour of the day, and the noises continued for more than the space of half an hour ; 7 When the Wasp, falling upon the Frolic, and getting entangled therewith, the men struggled together ; and the mariners of Columbia overpowered the mariners of Britain. 8 So it came to pass, that the Frolic became captive to the ship of Columbia. 9 And the slain and the wounded of the king's ship were about four score. 10 And the children of Columbia lost, in all, about half a score : howbeit, there was much damage done to both vessels. 11 Nevertheless, about this time, a mighty ship of Britain, called the Poictiers, came upon the vessels which were in a defenceless situation, and took then: both, and commanded them to go to the island of the king which is called Bermuda. 12 However, the people of Columbia were pleasec with the noble conduct of Jones, and for his valiant act! they gave him a sword of curious workmanship. 13 Moreover, while he remained at Bermuda, the inhabitants, the servants of the king, treated him kindly and showed much respect for him and his officers that were made captive.
One of nine. And a bonus.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:18 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:54 pm
To think. :roll: It’s yet another of those things that those like mentalgymnast will brazenly ignore.

But, they add up. His obfuscations and excuses have long since run out.
Not in his own mind. He is tesifyin and doin the holy work! The perfect evidence of brainwashing kult...