The Experience of God

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: The Experience of God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:26 pm
I think that the gospel requires water baptism by one holding proper authority.
This simply does not jive with the Jesus of the New Testament. That Jesus was not legalistic and actively preached against it.

that God would require His authority to perform saving ordinances rather than letting things run amok
Read the Gospels again and see if that's Jesus' main message to you.
If you are not a believer in Jesus Christ or you don’t see the logic in a God who’s house is a house of order then I suppose I’m simply blowing hot air.
I think many legalistic Christian religions can't see the forest through the trees and miss Jesus' messages entirely. They can't worship Jesus because they're busy worshiping the Bretheren.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:26 pm
This is where you and I differ. I think that the gospel requires water baptism by one holding proper authority. I would think that you can come up with a myriad of examples where you would not place your trust in someone or some organization that was either not qualified or lacked legal authority to administer their wares/product/services.
Perhaps a way to separate from the personal friction would be to stick with closer examination of some of the things you bring up.

Why do you think this statement about water baptism is true? I do not think it is trustworthy because I think all the authority involved is held by God . It is God who is worthy of trust.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:33 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:12 pm

Great. Might I also say I too empathize with those who want to believe so badly they just know there is a god.
I’m assuming this is addressed to me. That’s too funny.

You really don’t know me.

Pigeon holing.

To bad we can’t just talk face to face over lunch.

Regards,
MG
I have not followed your statements of belief or no belief closely. I’m simply saying I empathize with believers and their desire to believe. I suppose I assume you believe, but I could be wrong.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:25 pm

If we're working within human mental categories, I don't think the problem is interest, but relatability. I can be interested in spiders, I can love spiders, but I can't relate to spiders. I think a bigger problem than mental "limits," however, for a transcendent God, is the very mental categories we're ascribing. Can we really assume a transcendent entity (?) is governed by "interest", "love", "empathy" and so on?

All of these categories of human thinking exist because of evolutionary pressures. I can relate to people better than I can dogs, but I generally love dogs more than people. There's 15,000 years of history behind my dog hijacking a part of my brain that is supposed to bond me with other people. God's "thinking", if we can call it that, isn't a product of embodiment nor embodiment in an evolutionary context.

Do you mean QM is like theism in the analogy, and a particle with spin 7/2 is like proposing an ad hoc God?
I didn’t see anyone suggesting that god doesn’t care about humans because they’re so small per se. But that there is little reason to think god cares about humans over it’s other creations, or all the other things it’s watching and paying attention to simultaneously. Does god enjoy the successful spread of disease as much as he enjoys a massive earthquake, or a Jan 6 riot? Why would someone assume he has people’s best interest at heart so to speak, and not Covid-19’s.? It’s almost arbitrary to think god specifically cares about humans.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

Hey DastardlyStem,

Cool! - I'm glad you were willing to read the book and got hold of it. I didn't suggest it either to contrast with traditional LDS views of God or to take up argument about it here, but simply because I thought it might be of interest and useful.

I've done most of my reading in recent years in my field of history, rather than philosophical theology, but this is a book I've read a few times. (Oh, by the way, I don't think I've asked previously what your academic study was in and what your professional field is.)

Although my field is history, I was a science kid and have always had a great interest in the sciences. This actually shaped much of how I think, and I considered doing a master's in evolutionary psychology or physical anthropology. But ultimately I didn't pursue the sciences or the associated complex mathematics very far in my academic work. Consequently, it's more difficult for me to read technical work in a number of scientific fields. I remember once when I read a book that illustrated chaos theory using fluid dynamics, and used a good deal of calculus to lay this out. As opposed to, say, evolutionary psychology, these are fields I know much less about, so there was much in that book that didn't mean much to me (although I assumed it made good sense to people well acquainted with that field).
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:07 pm
Mainly my issue with Hart is he says many things without hardly saying much of anything. He continues that process throughout the book. His wording is confusing and his logic runs circular for the most part.
If I see a reader saying that an author "says many things without hardly saying much of anything" throughout his book and that the "wording was confusing" and the arguments seemed to run in a circular, then I take in that the reader is saying they didn't get much
saying you didn't get much substantive meaning from the book. In that case, there are two possible explanations for this that I can see: 1) the author really didn't say much of anything substantive, or 2) the reader didn't understand the substantive things the author said.

How we would we assess which of these was the case? In the case of the book that confused me on fluid dynamics and chaos theory, what would be a reasonable way of determining this? How about if I looked at the judgment of those well acquainted with the author's field: Was he a well respected scholar in his field? What were the bona fides of the institution that published the book? What do reviewers in or close to the author's field say about the book? If the author is a well respected scholar, the publisher is a well respected academic publisher, and the book gets solid reviews, then should I attribute my lack of easy clarity in the book to a lack of understanding on the author's part rather than on my own?

Mind you, this kind of assessment doesn't yet tell me whether the author's conclusions are right: intelligent, complex, and cogent arguments are often made on multiple sides of a discussion between scholars. But it will certainly tell me whether the author was making substantive and intelligent arguments.

Just as most of aren't deeply immersed in fluid dynamics and chaos theory, most of us are not deeply immersed in metaphysics, phenomenology, and philosophical theology--some of the weighty subjects covered in The Experience of God. You mentioned the idea that you "could be missing something." Would a reasonable way of looking into this possibility be to check into, say, the general regard in which David Bentley Hart is held as a scholar, the general regard with which Yale University Press is held in academia, and the general tenor of reviews by those whose field is philosophy? Can you think of a better way of assessing this? If you find that they disagree with you on whether Hart really makes meaningful arguments, then I would suggest this means that your view that he doesn't really say anything in the book means, not that he didn't say substantive things, but that you didn't understand what he did say.

To be crystal clear--I'm not saying that looking into this means you should accept what the author concludes. I'm suggesting that looking into this may make you reject your own hasty conclusion that not yet understanding the author's substantive arguments means he made no substantive arguments.

I should perhaps have forewarned in recommending the book that the subject matter is complex, the writing is dense, and Hart's vocabulary is extraordinarily wide. For most of us who are not ourselves philosophers--myself included--that means that this is book that requires much more than the ordinary amount of work--albeit for much more than the ordinary payoff. It's a book that merits and rewards a reading that is as close and systematic as its writing. Speaking for myself, I read it slowly, pausing over the more dense passages to re-read them and chew on them, and, because of Hart's wide vocabulary and very precise use of terms, looking up some of the less familiar words in a dictionary. But I found that each dense passage I looked into closely could be unpacked quite clearly and meaningfully. My resulting experience with the book can accurately be described with the antonyms of the words you used. I found Hart's overall arguments clear--far clearer, in fact, than the writings of most philosophers--and found his approach to be linear, systematic, and cumulative. So, in essence, you and I experienced not only very different but essentially opposite books.

In fact, I find that when Hart's writing is given the sustained attention it merits his arguments are so clear and well made that I wouldn't try to phrase them better. For that reason I don't really see any point in me trying to make his for him. He's already done it so well.

by the way, for what it's worth, in doing a quick search just now, I see that favorable reviews by academic philosophers are easy to find. Here, for instance, is the conclusion to one that came up on the first page:

[quote]The Experience of God will be of interest to the educated general reader with an interest in philosophy. ... I think it should be required reading for philosophy students, especially those in analytic philosophy departments, who might benefit from understanding that the history of philosophy is not just a source of dated philosophical arguments and ‘thought experiments’ but has a rational coherence as a way of life.[/quote]

I suppose that how much effort one will want to put into delving into any question depends on how important the topic is. Fundamental questions of the meaning of our existence, what happens to us and everyone we love when our brief time here ends, the ultimate origin and destiny of ourselves and of every being, what the Good is--to me these are utterly vital questions, in fact, the most important ones we can ask.

We are here in this world tasked with judging whether our lives ultimately mean something, whether the pure gift of existence merits gratitude--and to whom, and whether we will live as if there is really such a thing as the good. I am increasingly convinced that we can arrive at the truth of these questions both by curiosity directed outside ourselves and by spiritual disciplines that point us inside of ourselves and enable us to be more honest with ourselves about ourselves--what we are and in what relation we stand to the ultimate.

I won't be engaging in debate here, so I'll catch you sometime on another thread.

In any case, all the best in your continuing searches.

Don
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I didn’t see anyone suggesting that god doesn’t care about humans because they’re so small per se. But that there is little reason to think god cares about humans over it’s other creations, or all the other things it’s watching and paying attention to simultaneously. Does god enjoy the successful spread of disease as much as he enjoys a massive earthquake, or a Jan 6 riot? Why would someone assume he has people’s best interest at heart so to speak, and not Covid-19’s.? It’s almost arbitrary to think god specifically cares about humans.
Sure, if God does care, and if caring seems to mean what humans say it means, then I agree it's hard to see why God would care about humans above other life forms and impossible to imagine caring about one tribe of human religion more than another. In that gulf of mental power, it's hard to imagine how God would be offended by disbelief, or glorified by praise and worship. If there's a sick bird in my backyard, and let's say I want to help it, the bird might go along with it or might try to fight me. If I like birds, I don't take it personal either way. I might even find the fighter more endearing.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:08 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:33 pm

I’m assuming this is addressed to me. That’s too funny.

You really don’t know me.

Pigeon holing.

To bad we can’t just talk face to face over lunch.

Regards,
MG
I have not followed your statements of belief or no belief closely. I’m simply saying I empathize with believers and their desire to believe. I suppose I assume you believe, but I could be wrong.
I do. But probably not in the traditional way that my brothers and sisters at church do in some instances. I don’t see that as heretical and or antithetical to the gospel message and/or theology. In my mind I see God as something that I really can’t fully comprehend. I see the scriptures and men/women’s understanding and interface with God as more or less having metaphorical elements that are used to try and describe and/or understand God’s nature. Moses did it. Elijah did it. Stephen (New Testament) did it and on and on. And in our day Joseph Smith and modern prophets have also struggled to REALLY explain the nature and characteristics of God. And in my mind God reveals Himself according to our readiness and understanding. This involves the fact (in my estimation) that God uses metaphorical constituents to connect with and relate to humans at a level in which they can interface with Him.

Man in a white robe? Neatly trimmed beard? 6’1” tall? Walks on solid ground? Etc., etc.

Who knows? But this is how we try and understand God even though ultimately there may be MUCH more.

Obviously.

So we have certain understandings which might be referred to as the ‘standardized model’ when we try to wrap our minds around the numinous and metaphysical. Different cultures have unique and often different models. God can and does work in and through all of them. The scriptures tell us that God is in and through ALL things. I believe this is so that we as individuals can slowly…or speedily…come to know Him. He doesn’t force feed Himself to us. If we want small measures/bites, fine. If we want greater measure/knowledge that evolves beyond metaphorical boundaries, then fine.

Anyway, what you see/want is what you get, but ultimately there is an eternal TRUTH. In a number of ways I think Mormonism comes closer to approximating that truth in more ways than other modes of ‘seeing God’. Mormonism teaches:

We are His offspring. He has a perfect plan for His Children. God knows best what will bring souls to a more perfected state of being/happiness. God’s house is a house of order. Repentance results in progress. Moral degrees of understanding and practice bring greater/lesser degrees of joy/happiness. Etc.

I could go on. So yes, I believe in the teachings and practices of the LDS Church but I see a lot through metaphorical eyes/understandings. What is ultimately REAL? I don’t expect to come anywhere close to that understandings until I kick the bucket.

Pascal’s wager and Occam’s Razor, for me, point towards ‘God’. And the ways and means by which we pray to and interact with God as our Father in the CofJCofLDS bring those who exercise faith closer to ultimate truth and understanding. Even if some/much of what we think we understand has metaphorical meanings/components entertwined with it.

Enough for now.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:46 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:08 am

I do. But probably not in the traditional way that my brothers and sisters at church do in some instances. I don’t see that as heretical and or antithetical to the gospel message and/or theology. In my mind I see God as something that I really can’t fully comprehend. I see the scriptures and men/women’s understanding and interface with God as more or less having metaphorical elements that are used to try and describe and/or understand God’s nature. Moses did it. Elijah did it. Stephen (New Testament) did it and on and on. And in our day Joseph Smith and modern prophets have also struggled to REALLY explain the nature and characteristics of God. And in my mind God reveals Himself according to our readiness and understanding. This involves the fact (in my estimation) that God uses metaphorical constituents to connect with and relate to humans at a level in which they can interface with Him.

Man in a white robe? Neatly trimmed beard? 6’1” tall? Walks on solid ground? Etc., etc.

Who knows? But this is how we try and understand God even though ultimately there may be MUCH more.

Obviously.

So we have certain understandings which might be referred to as the ‘standardized model’ when we try to wrap our minds around the numinous and metaphysical. Different cultures have unique and often different models. God can and does work in and through all of them. The scriptures tell us that God is in and through ALL things. I believe this is so that we as individuals can slowly…or speedily…come to know Him. He doesn’t force feed Himself to us. If we want small measures/bites, fine. If we want greater measure/knowledge that evolves beyond metaphorical boundaries, then fine.

Anyway, what you see/want is what you get, but ultimately there is an eternal TRUTH. In a number of ways I think Mormonism comes closer to approximating that truth in more ways than other modes of ‘seeing God’. Mormonism teaches:

We are His offspring. He has a perfect plan for His Children. God knows best what will bring souls to a more perfected state of being/happiness. God’s house is a house of order. Repentance results in progress. Moral degrees of understanding and practice bring greater/lesser degrees of joy/happiness. Etc.

I could go on. So yes, I believe in the teachings and practices of the LDS Church but I see a lot through metaphorical eyes/understandings. What is ultimately REAL? I don’t expect to come anywhere close to that understandings until I kick the bucket.

Pascal’s wager and Occam’s Razor, for me, point towards ‘God’. And the ways and means by which we pray to and interact with God as our Father in the CofJCofLDS bring those who exercise faith closer to ultimate truth and understanding. Even if some/much of what we think we understand has metaphorical meanings/components entertwined with it.

Enough for now.

Regards,
MG
Hope this helped.

Regards,
MG
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

So what you're saying is that there are many different beliefs about God in the world. All of them have truth in them because "the scriptures" tell you so Presumably, these are your own scriptures. But, there is ultimately only one entirely true view of God, and Mormonism comes closest to that. From here, you have one of two choices. You must say that Mormonism comes closest to God because according to "the scriptures" -- the scriptures of Mormonism -- Mormonism is right. The other choice is that you personally know what the eternal truth of the universe is, independent of Mormonism, such that you can gauge Mormonism's success by this external standard.

Juvenile and arrogant, MG, I mean, really bud.

Sure, this "helps". Like, let's say a person wants to use circular reasoning better in order to justify themselves.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Thanks for the response Don.
Don Bradley wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:48 am
If I see a reader saying that an author "says many things without hardly saying much of anything" throughout his book and that the "wording was confusing" and the arguments seemed to run in a circular, then I take in that the reader is saying they didn't get much
saying you didn't get much substantive meaning from the book. In that case, there are two possible explanations for this that I can see: 1) the author really didn't say much of anything substantive, or 2) the reader didn't understand the substantive things the author said.
I'm in agreement. I already offered these two possibilities in the thread. An issue I've noted on this is if I didn't understand it, as an atheist, and he wishes to speak to atheists, he may have a problem. The book doesn't seem to speak a useful language to those who fail to see good reason to think there's a god. And, ultimately, he never really tries to understand the other position, it seems. He dogmatically asserts a number of presuppositions, revels in old time philosophical ideas, and somehow thinks doing so disproves the possibility for one to reasonable hold an atheist view, as if being atheist is anything more than a lack of belief in a god. His ground of being position carries with it too many guesses, it seems to me, that renders his strident view problematic. But seeing as you aren't really interested in discussing it, I'll just leave my comments as my impression.
How we would we assess which of these was the case? In the case of the book that confused me on fluid dynamics and chaos theory, what would be a reasonable way of determining this? How about if I looked at the judgment of those well acquainted with the author's field: Was he a well respected scholar in his field? What were the bona fides of the institution that published the book? What do reviewers in or close to the author's field say about the book? If the author is a well respected scholar, the publisher is a well respected academic publisher, and the book gets solid reviews, then should I attribute my lack of easy clarity in the book to a lack of understanding on the author's part rather than on my own?

Mind you, this kind of assessment doesn't yet tell me whether the author's conclusions are right: intelligent, complex, and cogent arguments are often made on multiple sides of a discussion between scholars. But it will certainly tell me whether the author was making substantive and intelligent arguments.
I'll disagree with your last line. If there are positives to the book, as I've noted, it is more in explaining an Aristotelian/semi-Platonic view rather than in his arguments. Thus, any positive reviews could solely be focused on his renderings of old philosophical concepts, and why a modern atheist perspective often miss those. That's fine for what it is. I just don't think the old concepts carry a necessary reason to accept them simply because they are old, and can be applied fairly widely amongst different peoples, as he seems to think. In sum I see as little reason to accept his ground of being god as I do for the Mormon God or the traditional Christian God. And certainly if I'm missing something, as I've said, I'm missing it and would need further clarification at this point. I read it, re-read, pondered it...I attempted. What more can I do? Keep trying I guess.
Just as most of aren't deeply immersed in fluid dynamics and chaos theory, most of us are not deeply immersed in metaphysics, phenomenology, and philosophical theology--some of the weighty subjects covered in The Experience of God. You mentioned the idea that you "could be missing something." Would a reasonable way of looking into this possibility be to check into, say, the general regard in which David Bentley Hart is held as a scholar, the general regard with which Yale University Press is held in academia, and the general tenor of reviews by those whose field is philosophy? Can you think of a better way of assessing this? If you find that they disagree with you on whether Hart really makes meaningful arguments, then I would suggest this means that your view that he doesn't really say anything in the book means, not that he didn't say substantive things, but that you didn't understand what he did say.
Yes. I do find a better way. Actually assessing it. If I fail, I fail. But I'd need to know why I fail. That'd be part of the assessing it. Scholars can be wrong, even good ones. Arguing from authority doesn't resolve scholarly disputes, and can't really resolve disputes in general. We have to actually hold ideas accountable. I'll keep trying, but these kinds of dismissive responses don't help, not that you have any obligation to help me. Just pointing that out.
To be crystal clear--I'm not saying that looking into this means you should accept what the author concludes. I'm suggesting that looking into this may make you reject your own hasty conclusion that not yet understanding the author's substantive arguments means he made no substantive arguments.
If Hart gave me any reason to reject my own hasty conclusions I didn't see it. I mean he certainly tried, but he seemed to misunderstand my hasty conclusions from the outset and tried to replace my presuppositions with his simply because he thinks he's smarter, or something. It was pretty weak, and I doubt he's convinced many (of course there'll be a few).
I should perhaps have forewarned in recommending the book that the subject matter is complex, the writing is dense, and Hart's vocabulary is extraordinarily wide. For most of us who are not ourselves philosophers--myself included--that means that this is book that requires much more than the ordinary amount of work--albeit for much more than the ordinary payoff.
Then he made a number of huge mistakes, if that's the case. His point was, as he said, to speak to atheists, you know those simpletons who simply don't get it. If he's being honest, then, all he really did, as I've said earlier in the thread was, attempt to confuse people hoping his command of vocabulary will impress them. THat amounts to a failure, as I see it.
It's a book that merits and rewards a reading that is as close and systematic as its writing. Speaking for myself, I read it slowly, pausing over the more dense passages to re-read them and chew on them, and, because of Hart's wide vocabulary and very precise use of terms, looking up some of the less familiar words in a dictionary. But I found that each dense passage I looked into closely could be unpacked quite clearly and meaningfully. My resulting experience with the book can accurately be described with the antonyms of the words you used. I found Hart's overall arguments clear--far clearer, in fact, than the writings of most philosophers--and found his approach to be linear, systematic, and cumulative. So, in essence, you and I experienced not only very different but essentially opposite books.
Well, good for you. I did the same. I read, re-read, I paused, I looked things up. I simply didn't see much effort on his part to support his dogma. He just keep beating it. And, as it were, he'd get me all intrigued by saying he has something really meaningful to say...then when he got to it, he basically repeated himself. He did that a number of times and it seemed in so doing, he failed to accomplish what he intended, every time he said he was going to explain himself--granted in some instances he did follow through.
In fact, I find that when Hart's writing is given the sustained attention it merits his arguments are so clear and well made that I wouldn't try to phrase them better. For that reason I don't really see any point in me trying to make his for him. He's already done it so well.
Again this is really unhelpful and again, I acknowledge, you have no obligation at all to try. But it gives me nothing, of course, and feels rather dismissive of all that's been said--as minimally we dug into it so far in this thread.
by the way, for what it's worth, in doing a quick search just now, I see that favorable reviews by academic philosophers are easy to find. Here, for instance, is the conclusion to one that came up on the first page:

[quote]The Experience of God will be of interest to the educated general reader with an interest in philosophy. ... I think it should be required reading for philosophy students, especially those in analytic philosophy departments, who might benefit from understanding that the history of philosophy is not just a source of dated philosophical arguments and ‘thought experiments’ but has a rational coherence as a way of life.
I suppose that how much effort one will want to put into delving into any question depends on how important the topic is. Fundamental questions of the meaning of our existence, what happens to us and everyone we love when our brief time here ends, the ultimate origin and destiny of ourselves and of every being, what the Good is--to me these are utterly vital questions, in fact, the most important ones we can ask.[/quote]

Yes. And as it happens, I found reviews that were detailed, helpful, and very negative--moreso than even my own. The positives were always lacking substance, were surface so I never got the impression from them he really accomplished what he set out to do from them. As the positive you quote--I agree---it's good to read. You can get a feel for some old philosophical concepts. But that doesn't mean there is no rational coherence as a way of life on an atheist perspective. That was his point, made over and over. I don't think he validated it. That'd be my point in reading it and that was a main point, he declares he had in writing it. He only claimed atheist can't be rational because to be an atheist one must reject Hart's presuppositions. Why? Who knows? Its nebulous.
We are here in this world tasked with judging whether our lives ultimately mean something, whether the pure gift of existence merits gratitude--and to whom, and whether we will live as if there is really such a thing as the good. I am increasingly convinced that we can arrive at the truth of these questions both by curiosity directed outside ourselves and by spiritual disciplines that point us inside of ourselves and enable us to be more honest with ourselves about ourselves--what we are and in what relation we stand to the ultimate.
Thanks for your testimony. I think we can find meaning, and purpose without assuming there is a spirit realm. We can look inside ourselves without assuming we're directed by a different world we only assume is there and is better than what we have.
I won't be engaging in debate here, so I'll catch you sometime on another thread.

In any case, all the best in your continuing searches.

Don
Seriously thanks for responding. I know it's not fun to get into the details sometimes. I understand the lack of desire to quibble over things with me. Sadly, as far as sadness may go, that's why I spend time here. I'm just trying to learn something...anything really. On that...thanks for the recommendation. It took me on a tour.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos