Just finished watching NBC's special report on the Jan 6 commission's findings.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Just finished watching NBC's special report on the Jan 6 commission's findings.

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:12 pm
In reply to his daughter's testimony that she (along with, well, everyone but Trump and his cultists) didn't believe the Big Lie, Trump Tweeted Truth Socialed:
Ivanka Trump was not involved in looking at, or studying, Election results. She had long since checked out and was, in my opinion, only trying to be respectful to Bill Barr and his position as Attorney General (he sucked!)
You know what’s sad? I honestly couldn’t tell if you were being funny and absurd, making up a Trump quote, or if in fact Trump said that.

I should’ve known better that there’s no depth or inanity Trump isn’t capable of plumbing.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Just finished watching NBC's special report on the Jan 6 commission's findings.

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:59 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:11 am
He typically leaves no "paper trail". He gets others to act on his behalf. Think about how he chose his words at the rally before the insurrection. Think about what he didn't say. Think about how the crowd read between the lines and instinctively knew what he wanted and then acted on it.

I firmly believe that's how he approaches everyone who has ever been on his business or political team. That's how he manipulates them and gets them to do what he wants without ever saying it outright or putting it in writing. I do think some of his phone recordings are going to factor in even going back to the phone call with Zelensky and lord knows how many other similar contacts he's made.
Great analysis of how he manipulates people to do his bidding. Any of his subordinates who fail to "read between the lines" and do what he wants, even if illegal, is fired for disloyalty to him. Then if they get into legal trouble and get indicted for breaking the law on Trump's behalf, he can claim that he never actually told them to do that and throws them under the bus for being lawbreakers. Loyalty is only a one-way street with him. It astounds me how many otherwise seemingly intelligent and well-informed people somehow fail to see how incorrigibly selfish and corrupt he is and how risky it is to associate themselves with him.
Trump is a life long coward.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Trump is a life long criminal.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

From r/bestof:
And it is VERY important everyone connect the dots to that instruction by the “Secretary” of Defense to who made the call.

I cannot say this loudly enough:

Without ultra MAGA hack Christopher Miller running the Defense department, NONE of the violence on Jan 6 happens. NONE.

Miller should spend the rest of his life in jail.

Please read on if you doubt those statements.

Because I don’t feel Miller gets enough heat for his role in Jan 6:

1) Miller didn’t give order as the “Secretary” of Defense. He was the “acting” Secretary of Defense.

2) and he was the acting Secretary that day, because the Secretary of Defense is a Senate-approved position. And Trump’s M.O. during his presidency was to rifle through cabinet appointments until he found loyal idiots who would commit fraud on his behalf.

3) So….on November 9, 2021, after Trump was aware he lost the popular vote and EC in a landslide, he fired Mark Esper and appointed Christopher Miller as his new “acting” Secretary of Defense.

edit: [NYT source “Trump Fires Mark Esper, Defense Secretary Who Opposed Use of Troops on U.S. Streets”]

4) Trump absolutely needed a Sec of Def who was on board with the coup/sedition plans. And Miller was his guy. Miller was brought in on November 9 to specifically help Trump steal the election over the next 60 days:

when Trump appointee Miller on Nov 9, the top REPUBLICAN on House Armed Services Committee (Rep. Mac Thornberry) expressed concern that the sudden shake-up and installation of leadership at the Pentagon based on political fealty instead of expertise "endanger U.S. national security."

Miller's chief of staff as Acting Secretary of Defense was Kash Patel, a former aide to Congressman Devin Nunes. (Patel is known for efforts to discredit investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 election.)

In December 2020, it was reported that Miller had ordered the Pentagon to postpone 40 meetings with the incoming Joe Biden administration. Miller's decision to halt cooperation with the incoming administration came in the wake of President Donald Trump's refusal to concede in the election, refusals by various Trump administration political appointees to cooperate, and claims of fraud by the Trump administration.

Edit source 1: “Biden accuses US defence department of obstruction on transition". BBC News. December 29, 2020. Archived from the original on January 6, 2021. Retrieved January 4, 2021.

And source 2 Mike Allen, Jonathan Swan (December 18, 2020). "Acting Pentagon chief halts Biden transition briefings" - On January 3, 2021, all TEN living former defense secretaries raised alarm in an open letter regarding a potential military coup to overturn the election results, warning officials who may participate, and specifically naming Miller, that they would face grave consequences if they violated the constitution.

Edit Washington Post source of the Op-Ed these ten former defense secretaries wrote:

According to Miller's later statements, on January 3 he was ordered by Trump to "do whatever was necessary to protect the demonstrators" on January 6. (The following day, Miller issued orders which prohibited deploying D.C. Guard members with weapons, helmets, body armor or riot control agents without his personal approval. On January 5, Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy issued a memo placing limits on the District of Columbia National Guard. Maj. Gen. William J. Walker, the commanding general of the D.C. National Guard, later explained: "All military commanders normally have immediate response authority to protect property, life, and in my case, federal functions — federal property and life. But in this instance I did not have that authority.")

Miller's actions on January 6 also faced scrutiny. After rioters breached the Capitol Police perimeter, Miller waited more than three hours before authorizing the deployment of the National Guard. Miller didn't provide that permission until 4:32 pm, after assets from Virginia had already entered the District, and Trump had instructed rioters to "go home".

edit: source “Timeline for December 31, 2020 - January 6, 2021" (PDF). Office of the Secretary of Defense. January 8, 2021. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 9, 2021. Retrieved January 10, 2021]
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I'll bet that our resident MAGA-ites like ajax or AM didn't even bother to watch it, and probably dare not watch it. If they did, and still approve of Trump and what he did to us and our democracy, they are hopelessly and irredeemably naïve and mis-informed and/or deeply opposed to the very idea of democracy, just like almost all other diehard Fox and Breitbart fans. What a shame!

Congressman Gohmert's reaction to all this is very revealing and damning. He stupidly laments that conservatives are no longer allowed to lie to the FBI or while testifying under oath before congressional committees, thus stupidly and inadvertently admitting to (almost certainly) being a pathological liar and perjurer himself. Who is stupider? Politicians like him, or the people who continue to vote for and reelect them into office?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:12 pm
In reply to his daughter's testimony that she (along with, well, everyone but Trump and his cultists) didn't believe the Big Lie, Trump Tweeted Truth Socialed:
Ivanka Trump was not involved in looking at, or studying, Election results. She had long since checked out and was, in my opinion, only trying to be respectful to Bill Barr and his position as Attorney General (he sucked!)
How small, shrill and mean do you have to be to throw your daughter under the bus? Tough love, I guess.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Liz Cheney outlines the villainy and outrageous schemes of Donald Trump really well.

https://www.democracynow.org/2022/6/10/ ... anka_trump

You can almost sense the hellfire smell emanating from Trump.

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:36 am
How small, shrill, and mean do you have to be to throw your daughter under the bus?
His desire to remain in an unelected dictator capacity was all-important to Trump. After abandoning their sacred duty to the United States, it became important to Republicans in Congress as well.
Last edited by Moksha on Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:43 am
Who is stupider? Politicians like him, or the people who continue to vote for and reelect them into office?
You know, the GOP base is made up of a lot of people, so it's reasonable to assume statistically that they can't all be complete morons.

But it's impossible for me to imagine an intelligent defense of the GOP. I can only conclude that if they aren't massively stupid, ignorant and/or misinformed, they must be selfish, belligerent pricks. What other explanation is there? How does a smart person fall for blatant stupidity and BS over and over and over again?
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

The gas stations are packed with trucks and boats today. The market has spoken!
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:54 pm
The gas stations are packed with trucks and boats today. The market has spoken!
The grocery store is crowded too.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas