DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

Post by _Kishkumen »

[quote="Daniel Peterson":2arafxnh]Then we're both laughing.

I see nothing wrong with that.[/quote:2arafxnh]

May it be a blessing to all.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

[quote="Kishkumen":39k0rzxw][quote="Daniel Peterson":39k0rzxw]Then we're both laughing.

I see nothing wrong with that.[/quote:39k0rzxw]

May it be a blessing to all.[/quote:39k0rzxw]

It's clear what DCP is up to---he thinks that if he yuks it up and makes merry out of everything, the criticism will go away, and that his boo-boos will stop hurting. But, that's not the case at all. The real truth is that DCP has received a number of very painful buttkickings from some of the posters here, and no amount of joking is going to assuage that basic fact, nor will it address the basic reasons he was criticized in the first place.

Did you know, Kishkumen, that DCP once claimed to be afraid for his life, and the life of his family, merely on account of what had been posted here? I find that very hypocritical, considering how often The Good Professor has accused others of "paranoia." He wants to joke about things being "disturbing," but will he do the right thing and condemn secret spy organizations within the Church, such as the SCMC? No. Of course he won't. Instead, he'll function as an "agent" and agree to perform as a spin doctor.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

Mister Scratch wrote:It's clear what DCP is up to---he thinks that if he yuks it up and makes merry out of everything, the criticism will go away, and that his boo-boos will stop hurting. But, that's not the case at all. The real truth is that DCP has received a number of very painful buttkickings from some of the posters here, and no amount of joking is going to assuage that basic fact, nor will it address the basic reasons he was criticized in the first place.

Did you know, Kishkumen, that DCP once claimed to be afraid for his life, and the life of his family, merely on account of what had been posted here? I find that very hypocritical, considering how often The Good Professor has accused others of "paranoia." He wants to joke about things being "disturbing," but will he do the right thing and condemn secret spy organizations within the Church, such as the SCMC? No. Of course he won't. Instead, he'll function as an "agent" and agree to perform as a spin doctor.

This is most troubling, and very disturbing. I think it's a watershed moment in the history of Mopologetics. What an embarrassing revelation.

And etc., and etc., and so on and so forth.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Daniel Peterson wrote:Fortunately -- unlike you, Lamanite -- Mercury has all of the facts, and a perfect understanding of them to boot. So he's in an excellent position to pronounce on the claims not only of Mormonism but of theism in general, and, for that matter, on the quality and character of your life.

You should listen to him. You should seek his guidance on every question.

Aww danny, you sound cranky. Did they tell you not to lip the buttermilk spigot at the creamery again?

Or is it the menstrual cramps again?

(I take the high road)

Caution...MERC IS WORKING BLUE AGAIN

I still have that second hand apron. I am waiting for my initiation papers into the Order of the Sacred Tapir.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

We don't care about your menstrual cramps, Mercury, and they won't be any obstacle to your induction into the Order of the Sacred Tapir. All you have to do is to experience a non-malignant rational thought at least once daily for three days in a row. You have until 1 January 2015 to fulfill that requirement. If you can't manage it by then -- though I, personally, have every confidence that you can -- your nomination will lapse.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Daaaaaaaany boooooooy wrote:All you have to do is to experience a non-malignant rational thought at least once daily for three days in a row.

How about I call you a hack at breakfast lunch and dinner three days in a row and call it even. I could be making Fellow CrafTapir by June!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:11 pm
Interesting post, as always, Mr. Scratch. I have become something of a fan of your work, and it motivated me to register here. I am sure I speak for many other unregistered lurkers, when I say that your work is appreciated. I have a handful of friends who like to bring your latest revelations to my attention, and I oblige them when I can beat them to the punch. Who knows how many untold others are out there cheering you on?

It was high time that someone brought the hypocrisy of the Mopologetic enterprise down a notch or two. Obviously, the reason why professional apologists come here to "correct" you is because you threaten the status quo. Mopologists want the freedom to craft their image and the beliefs of Mormonism with impunity, while truth, history, and the average Chapel Mormon suffer.

One of the meatier discoveries you have brought forward is the high finance behind Mopologetics. Clearly, Mopologetics have become a high priority for the Brethren as they have abandoned speaking authoritatively on doctrine in favor of running their multi-billion dollar corporation. So now they recruit wealthy members to fund the Mopologetic enterprise and provide the mechanisms whereby this may be achieved.

What does it matter if Professor P. or Hamblin make lots of cash? They get the thrill of holding forth with authority on a variety of topics that the Brethren won't touch with a ten cubit pole. They are the LDS Church's first doctors of the faith, who are succeeding in routinizing the last bits of prophetic charisma the organization has left over from its beginnings in a religious scam. That is undoubtedly reward enough for them.
In another thread, an anniversary of sorts was mentioned. Inspired, I went looking and located this, the first post by our beloved steward of the rectory, Kishkumen.

And I do believe our Reverend left a clue, or hint if you will, as to the nature of his life's research.

You will notice, if you look up thread, that this 1st post by Kishkumen was made precisely 1 hour and 11 minutes after he joined the board. The clue, 1-1-1-1, I surmise, is a marvelous easter egg! And some 14 years after its posting, I think it is high time that this delicious treat is shared with all.

You see, the orthonormal representation of space and time is the 4 space vector [1,1,1,1], with three points for space and one for time. We now know that dear Kishkumen is an accomplished historian, who has invested nearly a lifetime looking back across space and time, decoding wondrous mysteries of our special planet and its people.

So dear Reverend, I thank you sincerely. Thank you for your research. Thank you for your wisdom and wit. And thank you for surprises like this one, which remind most of us who occupy the two dimensional screen of MDB about the rich universe out there to explore.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Wow—talk about a blast from the past! Thank you for topping this thread, Dr. Moore. Reviewing the OP, I’m struck by how little things have changed—and not only that, but how deeply my original observations were correct. Dr. Peterson is currently on a months-long tour through Europe thanks to his involvement with Mopologetics. Did Ed Decker do that? What about the Tanners? Is there some record of them sending dispatches from the Swiss Alps about eating fondue? The fact of the matter is that he devoted his life to Mopologetics and it paid off handsomely—at least in a worldly sense. He’s still milking beaucoup dollars off of otherwise clueless donors, I believe.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

_Daniel Peterson wrote:
Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:18 am
I've worked hard today. I've gotten a lot done. Among other things, I sent off a book proposal to a major academic press and administered a final examination. About thirty members of my singles ward just came by to sing carols at my house -- I wasn't expecting that -- and I'm leaving shortly to do some Christmas shopping.

My life is pretty good. Hope that doesn't disturb you.
I guess his book proposal never amounted to anything?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Deseret News’ obituary that lies in waiting: “Daniel Peterson, church apologist and noted book proposist.”