At what age does tithing settlement start?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

At what age does tithing settlement start?

Post by msnobody »

I was just reading mostly from the first page, and then some comments on the recently resurrected thread, DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of Greed. It reminds me of when LDS missionaries came into my church and grilled me, asking if I knew why my church paid a pastor while Jesus never charged anything or why my church makes me donate. << So much irony in that.

So, my question is this. Is it possible that naïve LDS missionaries may not have yet been aware of tithing settlement?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Re: At what age does tithing settlement start?

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

Scripture about tithing the LDS church will never mention:

Duet 14:
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:

25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
So not only are tithes for you own use "whatsoever thy soul desireth", they are for strong drink. Weird that.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:58 am
So, my question is this. Is it possible that naïve LDS missionaries may not have yet been aware of tithing settlement?
No.

The chances of them being able to go on a mission without being full tithe payers themselves is near zero.

Not sure what age they start, but I remember having them as a kid.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The same age where parents bring their kids up to the stand and whisper in their ear to make them say “I know Rusty Nelson is a prowphet and I know this church is twroo”
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Tithing settlement was never required--not even for temple recommend holders, as I recall. Any bishop could have been pretty lax about it and others could be extremely strict in my experience. I was in a tithing settlement pretty young--probably pre-12 with my dad. I had to give the bishop 10 bucks that day because I had paid 0 for the year, and with that he passed me off as a full-tithe payer. I remember wondering why the f was I giving my GI Joe money to placate my bishop? And then he and my dad explained to me that I would surely be sent to hell if I didn't keep up my tithe paying. That helped.

I doubt a missionary could be unaware of it. But it's possible. They may never had to pay tithing--as in they never earned money of their own and always just relied on their parents money, which supposedly would have been tithed. Or their bishop simply didn't care too much about tithing settlement itself and any missionary whether they had paid tithing or not, may not have been subjected to it, previous to their mission. But certainly they would have at least heard about it and had some idea what was going on there.

And for some reason Mormons don't see tithing as donating in the same way other Christians do. They tend to think the money disappears from human hands and ends up in God's hands without trail. Therefore no ones earning money through the Church's donations, in their minds. And they learn, anyone who earns money through Church endeavors is practicing the evil sin of priest craft. Every other religion, basically, practices priest craft. But the leaders of Mormonism are simply given a modest living expense, so they don't starve--and that ain't priest craft.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

I would expect most missionaries to know about tithing settlement.

I would not expect most missionaries know that the general authorities get paid pretty well and have a lot of perks.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

An impression might be created that non Mormon church leaders are rolling in riches. There are some who appear to be monstrously devouring peoples funds for their personal glory. I think gross abuse is real.

Of course there is the reality that generally speaking pastors have very modest incomes and work hard
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:57 pm
An impression might be created that non Mormon church leaders are rolling in riches. There are some who appear to be monstrously devouring peoples funds for their personal glory. I think gross abuse is real.

Of course there is the reality that generally speaking pastors have very modest incomes and work hard
The impression created by the stereotypical Protestant Minister that used to be part of the LDS temple ceremony, perhaps?
(The Preacher approaches Peter.)

PROTESTANT MINISTER: Do you profess to be an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ?

PETER: We do.

PROTESTANT MINISTER: This man told me that we should never have any revelation or apostles, but if any should come professing to be apostles, I was to ask them to cut off an arm or some other member of the body and the restore it, so that the people might know that they came with power.

PETER: We do not satisfy men's curiosity in that manner. It is a wicked and an adulterous generation that seeks for a sign. Do you know who that man is? He is Satan!

PROTESTANT MINISTER: What? The Devil?

PETER: That is one of his names.

PROTESTANT MINISTER: He is quite a different person from what he told me the devil is. He said the devil has claws like a bear's on his hands, horns on his head, and a cloven foot, and that when he speaks he has the roar of a lion!

PETER: He has said this to deceive you, and I would advise you to get out of his employ.

PROTESTANT MINISTER: Your advise is good; but, if I leave his employ, what will become of me?

PETER: We will preach the gospel unto you, with the rest of Adam's posterity.

PROTESTANT MINISTER: That is good. (He turns to Lucifer) I would like to have a settlement. I want you to pay me for preaching.

LUCIFER: I am ready to keep my word and fulfill my part of the agreement. I promised to pay you if you would convert these people, and they have nearly converted you! You can get out of my kingdom, I want no such men in it! (As the preacher turns sadly and leaves Lucifer approaches Peter) Now, what are you going to do?

PETER: We will dismiss you without further argument.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:02 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:57 pm

The impression created by the stereotypical Protestant Minister that used to be part of the LDS temple ceremony, perhaps?

Drumdude, I see that the propaganda you quoted surely influences some people. I wish it were that that was the sole source of the image of preachers who sell their soul for money.. To the best of my understanding predatory preachers are very real. Radio and television have helped manipulators get into the pockets of many more people . Grossly rich preachers are a reality as best as I have been able to determine.

Well you probably are not doubting that end of the observation. I have seen that fellow with the golden dog house who got into legal trouble now selling survival food supplies. Big blue containers. Maybe they change colors in hard times.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I’m sure out of four missionaries, someone was aware of tithing settlement. Thanks for the replies. Is it possible they could have thought that EV churches also have tithing settlement?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7