Gas goes to $9.45/gallon in Mendecino, CA

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Gas goes to $9.45/gallon in Mendecino, CA

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:21 pm
Would you invest in oil and gasoline now if you knew that a year from now that the government and climate change crowd is just going to crack down again to the point that it's unprofitable? You're smart enough to comprehend this. People like Joe Biden ans Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are not.
This is a prime example of the incoherent nonsensical arguments we have come to expect from you.

ETA: Because we are using fossil fuels hundreds (if not thousands) of times faster than nature is producing them, it will, sooner than you think, become increasingly hard to find as yet untapped sources, and ever more expensive to extract them. Thus they will inevitably become both more expensive and less profitable, no matter what anyone tries to do about it -- government or not.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Just saw this question of yours in Gunnar's reply.
ajax18 wrote:

Would you invest in oil and gasoline now if you knew that a year from now that the government and climate change crowd is just going to crack down again to the point that it's unprofitable? You're smart enough to comprehend this. People like Joe Biden ans Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are not.
Do you think the oil companies are planning for that eventuality or do you think they're just going to go belly up?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:59 am
Do you think the oil companies are planning for that eventuality?
Does this answer your question? Fossil Fuel Companies Investing in Renewable Energy
To avoid extinction, smart fossil fuel companies are putting more R&D into renewable energy.

E.ON, one of the world's largest energy providers, has seen its profits from fossil fuels drop by more than 30% over the past decade, forcing the company to make a commitment to renewable energy while spinning off its fossil fuel assets. In addition to scaling up renewable energy generation, E.ON is addressing the management and distribution of energy by mining and analyzing large volumes of data regarding energy consumption and weather forecasts. On the renewable energy front, E.ON has partnered with oil & gas company Statoil, creator of the first full-scale floating wind turbine.
I recommend clicking on the link and reading the whole article, rather than just the first paragraph which I cut and pasted above. It is quite fascinating!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:30 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Do you think the oil companies are planning for that eventuality?
Does this answer your question? Fossil Fuel Companies Investing in Renewable Energy
To avoid extinction, smart fossil fuel companies are putting more R&D into renewable energy.

E.ON, one of the world's largest energy providers, has seen its profits from fossil fuels drop by more than 30% over the past decade, forcing the company to make a commitment to renewable energy while spinning off its fossil fuel assets. In addition to scaling up renewable energy generation, E.ON is addressing the management and distribution of energy by mining and analyzing large volumes of data regarding energy consumption and weather forecasts. On the renewable energy front, E.ON has partnered with oil & gas company Statoil, creator of the first full-scale floating wind turbine.
I recommend clicking on the link and reading the whole article, rather than just the first paragraph which I cut and pasted above. It is quite fascinating!
I knew the answer before I posed the question, Gunnar. ;-) Apparently Ajax absurdly thinks the oil companies don't know how to manage their business.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:34 am
Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:30 am

I knew the answer before I posed the question, Gunnar. ;-) Apparently Ajax absurdly thinks the oil companies don't know how to manage their business.
Ok! I get it! Thanks! :)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:36 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:34 am

Ok! I get it! Thanks! :)
:-)

Slava Ukraini!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:06 am
Ajax, unless you are heavily invested in fossil fuel company stocks, why are you so adamantly opposed to even looking at the well documented economic benefits and potentials of transitioning away from heavy dependence on fossil fuels to the coming green energy revolution? Can you understand why the fossil fuel industry would spend billions of dollars on disinformation to discourage development and use of renewables, even to the great detriment of anyone else not dedicated to making a living from producing and selling the public on ever more dependence on fossil fuels? Is it that you can't stand the very idea of the possibility of being seriously mistaken about anything?

If you can come up with a coherent evidence-based rebuttal to the arguments and goals of organizations like RMI, I would sincerely like to see it!
Are you proposing corporate tax cuts for green energy? What's stopping the Democrats from doing that now? At $5/gallon, electric cars still aren't competitive with gasoline powered engines. Even if I wanted to buy an electric car, it takes more than a year to get one. What do you mean by investment? Are you saying that if you throw enough taxpayer money into green energy corporate welfare that undoubtedly someone will discover a way to make solar and wind power more efficient than gasoline? We've been talking about this for some time. Show me the technology that has already been developed that makes green energy cheaper than coal and oil. Gasoline costs $0.22/gallon in Venezuela. So it's not that expensive to actually pump it and refine it. The $5 or more extra that the world is paying now seems to be more about politics than production costs.

These are the fruits of your policy. Start being honest with your base about what green energy actually costs. Stop trying to misdirect and blame Putin. Stop trying to blame Trump. Democrats have controlled all three branches of government for the last two years and this economy is the result of their policies. If the economy were a patient in the ICU unit in an artificial coma (induced by the COVID lockdown policy) all chief surgeon Biden would have had to do was come in and smile and watch the patient roar back to the Trump economy of 2019. Instead he chose to cut his lifeblood (gasoline), pump him with cocaine (stimulus checks), and show the world how weak the patient was (Afghanistan).
Last edited by ajax18 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Just saw this question of yours in Gunnar's reply.
ajax18 wrote:

Do you think the oil companies are planning for that eventuality or do you think they're just going to go belly up?
I think you got the gas prices and economy that you voted for.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Democrat have controlled all three branches

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Maher: Biden Tried to Get off Fossil Fuels without a Replacement, and Now We’re Begging the Saudis for Oil
On Friday’s broadcast of HBO’s “Real Time,” host Bill Maher argued that when people try to get off fossil fuels before there is a replacement ready, “they wind up going back to even worse fossil fuels.” And that this has happened in the United States and President Joe Biden going to Saudi Arabia “hat in hand, begging them for oil” after vowing to reduce oil drilling is an example of that.

After citing Biden’s pledge to end drilling on federal lands, Maher stated, “Let’s just talk about why these things really happen, it’s because people think that they can — look, I wish we were all off fossil fuels forever. But the truth is that when people get off fossil fuels before they have a replacement, they wind up going back to even worse fossil fuels. Germany said, we don’t want nuclear power anymore, which is the cleanest, and what did they have to go back to? Coal. And basically, the same thing happened here. We said, Saudi Arabia, go f*Celestial Kingdom yourself, you killed a journalist and now, Biden is going over there, hat in hand, begging them for oil. Because people want their gas.”
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/06 ... s-for-oil/

At least some liberals get it.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas