History of Music

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: History of Music

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:08 am
It's much easier to make suggestions when you just ask the question directly. It doesn't make sense to ask about a main melody or tempo for an entire concert.
You are absolutely right.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Hey DT,

You should do more of the lifting first. Most of the question is asking for simple things including you picking out the songs. Do a little more of the lifting first. It's one thing to get a little guidance or help on tricky issues like discerning the difference between vibrato and tremolo when music doesn't come naturally. The class would benefit from in person lectures to help make some of those differences apparent. But just asking for answers instead of help learning is cheating.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:30 pm
Hey DT,

You should do more of the lifting first. Most of the question is asking for simple things including you picking out the songs. Do a little more of the lifting first. It's one thing to get a little guidance or help on tricky issues like discerning the difference between vibrato and tremolo when music doesn't come naturally. The class would benefit from in person lectures to help make some of those differences apparent. But just asking for answers instead of help learning is cheating.
Alright. You can still share your opinion about a song.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:47 pm
Any fans of blues and rock and roll here?
I will confess two things here. One rock has not been the kind of music I listen to the most for a good number of years now. I still listen to it sometimes. Second confession is almost painful. I never, never, never,never would have admitted it during the 1960s or70s or... and I do not intend to dispute Jersey girls expertise. During the 60s I would vote Highway 61 as best and rolling stones close. Looking back I find no escape , the best rock roll group was the Beatles. I do not feel personal affection for them. I had no crush, Paul was cute and I didn't care. He is however a very special musician and the group put the best of each together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98U74J1psE

Some commentators in say 1961 thought rock and roll was about to die out. Perhaps a wishful thought by somebody.

Revolver was the first Beatles album I purchased back then. I did think highly of it then.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:47 pm
Any fans of blues and rock and roll here?
I remember first hearing blues late night on the radio , from a far distant an strange fascinating place.
I also had recording of Leadbelly, I still enjoy his early folk blues.

For what is as a base a pretty simple idea the blues exist in really wide variety of forms. They have also influenced every part of American music. Everywhere has been touched.

I once thought it was something to ask what the most real blues are, find the most authentic. I no longer think that has much meaning. There is acoustic guitar following Charlie Patton or fancy jazzier guitar of Lonnie Johnson. There are famous lady singers and there is Count Basie with smooth singing Jimmy Rushing. There is early Louis Armstrong and there is Coltrane , Blue train, Or Miles Davis Bitches Brew. Or to push boundaries further how about Winton Marsailes , In the thich of the south, three volumes. (I wonder if he understands strength in finishing?)

I suppose there is a geographic center with BB King and Muddy Waters. and well of course the list expands....
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:41 pm
For what is as a base a pretty simple idea the blues exist in really wide variety of forms. They have also influenced every part of American music. Everywhere has been touched.
Absolutely.
huckelberry wrote:

I suppose there is a geographic center with BB King and Muddy Waters. and well of course the list expands....
...to folks like Billie Holiday, Buddy Guy, Etta James, Aretha Franklin, and Joe Bonamassa. Fortunately, we're not dead yet. The genre still occasionally gets a few, new, great artists like Kingfish Ingram.

Nothing does it for me like the Blues. To this day, I can put on anything by Nina Simone and feel better.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

huckelberry wrote:

Everywhere has been touched? Show me where on Barry Manilow.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:08 am
huckelberry wrote:

2:00 AM Paradise Cafe
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:37 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:08 am

2:00 AM Paradise Cafe
Nay, jazz. No?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:33 am
huckelberry wrote:
Absolutely.
huckelberry wrote:

...to folks like Billie Holiday, Buddy Guy, Etta James, Aretha Franklin, and Joe Bonamassa. Fortunately, we're not dead yet. The genre still occasionally gets a few, new, great artists like Kingfish Ingram.

Nothing does it for me like the Blues. To this day, I can put on anything by Nina Simone and feel better.
Morley, My best friend was a strong fan of Nina Simone going back to the 60s. I did not get a recording for myself. My friend has passed , I should rectify my music lacuna.