The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Re: From: State of the Pandemic

Post by Hawkeye »

Speaking of Trump, Hawkeye, are you ready to acknowledge the irrefutable fact of how badly he handled the pandemic compared to almost every other national leader?
No, I don't think I'll ever believe that. Some on the right have rightfully criticized the lockdown measures he recommended, but compared to every other national leader? It's like saying Trump allowed too many illegal immigrants into the country. Other countries violated individuals civil rights in far worse ways than Trump ever did. To make matters worse, the lockdowns were not very effective in spite of the colossal price we paid for them.

I'm not convinced the left really believes that COVID is that dangerous. We saw how high of a priority they made COVID during the George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:11 am
Speaking of Trump, Hawkeye, are you ready to acknowledge the irrefutable fact of how badly he handled the pandemic compared to almost every other national leader?
No, I don't think I'll ever believe that. Some on the right have rightfully criticized the lockdown measures he recommended, but compared to every other national leader? It's like saying Trump allowed too many illegal immigrants into the country. Other countries violated individuals civil rights in far worse ways than Trump ever did. To make matters worse, the lockdowns were not very effective in spite of the colossal price we paid for them.

I'm not convinced the left really believes that COVID is that dangerous. We saw how high of a priority they made COVID during the George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020.
Yep! Like I have said several times: backfire effect on steroids! Given the evidence I cited, that is every bit as irrational as denying that we live on a rotating globular earth in a heliocentric solar system. Do you also deny that Trump lied about the election being stolen from him? That is even more irrational!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Do you also deny that Trump lied about the election being stolen from him? That is even more irrational!
Do you deny that Stacey Abrams has been lying about the Georgia gubernatorial election being stolen from her? You probably don't even know about this because you only listen to one side of the story.

Let's be real. What matters to each of us is what a politician is going to do when it comes to enforcing the border, bringing down the price of energy, keeping down inflation, national debt, taxes, growing the economy, making people live in a biomedical police state, dealing with crime, eliminating government waste fraud and abuse. We have very different interests with regard to these issues. Neither of us are going to say or look at anything that would undermine our objectives.

You're a globalist who has allegiance to world's economic overlords who meet at Davos each year. You're fellow Americans are no higher priority for you than any other human being on the planet. We're all citizens of the world in your view. I'm an economic nationalist who is loyal to the people of my state own and my party. I support the interests of the American taxpayer and the working man first, the rest of the world second. You support the interests the illegal immigrant, the disabled, the welfare queen, the black criminal, and above all ruling elite of the Democrat party.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:16 pm
Do you also deny that Trump lied about the election being stolen from him? That is even more irrational!
Do you deny that Stacey Abrams has been lying about the Georgia gubernatorial election being stolen from her? You probably don't even know about this because you only listen to one side of the story.

Let's be real. What matters to each of us is what a politician is going to do when it comes to enforcing the border, bringing down the price of energy, keeping down inflation, national debt, taxes, growing the economy, making people live in a biomedical police state, dealing with crime, eliminating government waste fraud and abuse. We have very different interests with regard to these issues. Neither of us are going to say or look at anything that would undermine our objectives.

You're a globalist who has allegiance to world's economic overlords who meet at Davos each year. You're fellow Americans are no higher priority for you than any other human being on the planet. We're all citizens of the world in your view. I'm an economic nationalist who is loyal to the people of my state own and my party. I support the interests of the American taxpayer and the working man first, the rest of the world second. You support the interests the illegal immigrant, the disabled, the welfare queen, the black criminal, and above all ruling elite of the Democrat party.
“I'm an economic nationalist who is loyal to the people of my state own and my party.”

nationalist

statist

-_-

damned Mormons.

eta: neonazis marching for desantis - https://v.redd.it/r0d7bw2gcpd91

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:20 pm
Hawkeye wrote:

“I'm an economic nationalist who is loyal to the people of my state own and my party.”

nationalist

statist

-_-

damned Mormons.

eta: neonazis marching for desantis - https://v.redd.it/r0d7bw2gcpd91

- Doc
from a disscussmormonism.com Doctor's own link above.
1 hr. ago
The “guilt by association” nonsense is a logical fallacy. Desantis would denounce these people without a moments thought.

57 min. ago
Pretty sure this was organized by people who oppose DeSantis. Even bigots aren’t that stupid
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:53 am
Why do you think they believe that a cloth mask is doing anything to protect their kid from COVID. Do you think they know what the percentage of young healthy kids who die or suffer permanent disability from COVID is?
I imagine it's the same reason parents give their kids talks about "stranger danger."

The odds being kidnapped are about .0003%.

Being a parent is always a mixture of rational and irrational fears, and risk mitigation to protect our little ones.

If parents are willing to invest billions of tax payer funds into legislative, PA, and other programs based on a .0003% chance, it shouldn't be overly surprising that parents are willing to invest $4 on a mask on something that is several fold more likely... even if only for the emotional/mental comfort of feeling somewhat in control and doing "something."
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Hawkeye wrote:
As a matter of fact, I do deny that Stacey Abrams was lying when she claimed the election was stolen from her, or, at least, that she had no legitimate justification to suspect as much. She was running against Brian Kemp, after all!

The Wizard of Voter Suppression: Brian Kemp’s Long History of Making Black Votes Disappear

I didn't listen only to one side of the story! Her side of the story is by far the more credible! She has more integrity and credibility in her right earlobe than Trump and Kemp have in both their bodies combined!
On Nov. 6, Democratic nominee Stacey Abrams could turn the nation’s political map inside out and become the first black female governor in U.S. history. The mathematics say its entirely possible. The voter enthusiasm is on her side.

There’s only one problem: She’s running against one of the greatest suppressors of the black vote in history.

Between 2008 until 2012, the state of Georgia struck 750,000 voters from its rolls, according to the Brennan Center for Justice, an unusually high rate of purging, but still within reason. However, after Kemp got his hands on the state’s voting apparatus, he has purged twice as many voters. Kemp has nixed nearly 1.4 million voters from Georgia’s books for inane reasons such as missing hyphens, rumors that voters have moved and even misspelled street names. And since he became the Republican nominee for governor, he has doubled down.

One of his biggest weapons is his “exact match” policy. If a voter’s registration doesn’t match their DMV records (which often has flawed data), Kemp has mandated that the registration be invalidated. There are reports of voters with hyphenated names being removed from rolls because their registration didn’t have the hyphen. Others have been deleted because their addresses were misspelled.

To be fair, when voters sued the state of Georgia about this policy in 2013, noting that it was arbitrary and not a legal standard, Kemp did stop doing it. Then he simply had the Republican-led state legislature pass a law codifying the exact match system, and continued his purge.

Kemp also uses other methods to get rid of voters. He tosses out the names of people suspected of not being citizens. He purges inactive voters. He kicks out people who didn’t serve on jury duty. He uses every imaginable method, and somehow the voters left out are always black.

But purges aren’t Kemp’s only strategy to suppress the black vote. Georgia officials have closed 214 polling places in 53 counties since 2012, according to the Journal-Constitution. And most of the counties (39 of the 53) where those closures occurred are in counties with significant black populations (more than 25 percent).

Earlier this year Randolph County passed a plan to close two-thirds of its polling locations. Not only is Randolph County mostly black, but the elections were run by Michael Malone, who was a Kemp donor and was curiously on the list of people who Kemp was considering using as a consultant for his campaign, the Washington Post reports.

Aside from being an ardent Trump supporter, Kemp is also vehemently opposed to anyone inspecting his handiwork. After intelligence officials noticed that Russian hackers had breached election software in Georgia, Kemp was the only state election official to rebuff help from federal experts.

Georgia is one of the few states that don’t use paper ballots and there is no way to audit the results of an election in the state. Not only are two-thirds of the state’s voting machines more than 10 years old, but when Marilyn Marks and the Coalition for Good Governance sued after noticing that someone had breached the server where voting machine software, passwords and data were stored; instead of handing over the data, the servers were wiped clean.

Then they wiped the backups clean.
Not only that:
Kemp routinely brags about his voter suppression efforts to fellow Republicans. Some allege that Kemp’s tactics come from the “king of voter suppression,” Kris Kobach, once called “the most racist politician in America. And in 2014, Kemp issued a warning his fellow party members:

I just wanted to tell you, real quick, after we get through this runoff, you know the Democrats are working hard, and all these stories about them, you know, registering all these minority voters that are out there and others that are sitting on the sidelines, if they can do that, they can win these elections in November.
Stacey Abrams had far, far more reason to suspect her election was stolen from her than Trump Did. He had zero evidence that it was stolen from him and more than 60 court cases confirmed that, including cases presided over by Judges that Trump himself had appointed!

It is truly remarkable that Stacey Abrams came as close as she did to winning, despite Kemp's blatant and even freely boasted of efforts at minority voter suppression!

So I repeat the question: Do you deny that Trump lied when he claimed the election was stolen from him? If you do, you are yourself either a liar or a fool!

ETA: In all fairness, I'll have to admit, though, that Kemp had enough integrity and courage to stand up to Trump when he tried to overturn Missouri's 2020 election results. He deserves a vote of appreciation for that -- not condemnation by Trump or anyone else! Do you agree?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Binger wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:07 pm
Swing.... and miss. Not leaving your bedroom is an even better consideration of others. Wrapping oneself in plastic and breathing through a paper straw directly into a sewer would be another thoughtful consideration of others.

While you think a mask that does not work is a gesture of consideration, which it may be, that does not make you entitled to that consideration. The issue is mask mandates, particularly for children and proprietors, when it is known that the masks do not work and when it is known and obvious that there are some negative consequences of masking for long durations of time.
https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 9#p2792879
The bottom line is that any mask that covers the nose and mouth will be of benefit.

“The concept is risk reduction rather than absolute prevention,” said Chin-Hong. “You don’t throw up your hands if you think a mask is not 100 percent effective. That’s silly. Nobody’s taking a cholesterol medicine because they’re going to prevent a heart attack 100 percent of the time, but you’re reducing your risk substantially.”