January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

Post by Vēritās »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:29 pm
Yeah, the J6 Committee, as it is being called, is not a kangaroo court. It is a committee to investigate what happened at the Capitol on January 6. The fact that it is not staffed by people who belong to the cult of Trump is not concerning in the least. If those on the Committee and those testifying before the Committee were all Democrats, that would be one thing. The fact that most of the facts are coming out of the lips of people who worked for the Trump administration at the highest levels tells you that what you are seeing is probably on the money.

Now it is up to the Merrick Garland of the DoJ to indict Trump for the crimes he committed. Among those crimes should be found the attempted murder of Mike Pence. Trump knew Pence was in danger, and not only did he not lift a finger to help his VP, he even stoked the mob storming the Capitol to greater anger against Pence at the very time Pence was in the greatest peril. Trump should spend the rest of his days in federal prison.
Exactly. It cannot be a Kangaroo Court because it would first have to be a court, which it isn't. Idiots out there talking about it being a Kangaroo court want to believe we think this is a criminal trial. We know that it isn't.

The reason it isn't staffed by Trump loyalists like Gaetz, Hawley, and Jim Jordan is because that would be a conflict of interest as both men are complicit in the crimes committed. The fact is virtually everyone testifying were/are Trump loyalists who decided to testify because they put country before party. Their oath was to the Constitution, not some whiny adolescent con artist who clearly cares about nothing that doesn't benefit him personally.

The best thing about the hearings is the transparency we get from it. No more FOX News lies about how the mob wasn't organized, armed or had malicious intent. Those claims can be dispensed with now thanks to the evidence the hearings revealed. We can also dispense with the suggestion that Trump willingly told them to stand down in a timely fashion. Not only did he wait 187 minutes, but he refused to condemn the crowd the next day which became evident from the speech he was presented and he scratched out numerous lines he refused to say because he was more concerned about turning his supporters. Think like "you don't represent me or my movement." This concedes the point that the attack was done in Trump's name with his blessing.

Binger is whining about DOJ not prosecuting, but the DOJ likely will be prosecuting him and it is likely only going to happen because of these hearings. This is probably what upsets him the most. His orange master getting what's coming to him. Just watch. Once the DOJ indicts him and he's put on trial, let's guess what Binger will be complaining about then.

I put much of the blame on the GOP as a whole. Had they done their duty and fulfilled their oath to the Constitution they would have voted to impeach him long ago. But they put party before country.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:09 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:09 pm

Nah. Nope.

Anger and destruction happened. You got it. How we look at into that anger and destruction matters, buddy.

There will be a lot more anger and destruction in reaction to anger and destruction. Just like there will be a lot more demolition of the process in reaction to demolition of the process. Just like there will be more aggression in reaction to BS.

It’s all pretty pretty simple frankly. Its a contest to piss people off and then make the most awesome claim that the reaction is not our fault.
Same as before.

There will always be folks like yourself who dismiss anger and destruction when it suits you, while promising more anger and destruction if anyone questions it.

The world is full of folks who have little or no moral standing for their own actions and little or no ability to explain why they commit those actions. This will never change. Best thing to do is to shine a light on them, and their actions.
That is not what I am doing. But, I suspect you may have some folks in your circle doing that.

You see panny, I am not dismissing the anger or the destruction. Neither am I dismissing the complete and total erosion of credibility and trust. I am fully acknowledging it. I accept your terms. You want to burn down LA, Minneapolis, or DC... I promise you I will not be leaving my house to get in your way. I promise. You want to crap on the process and vote by mail and do whatever. I want you to have that. I am going to build a flatbed for my son's pre-smog era truck instead. I may rant on an obscure forum for exmormons that are being absolutely brutalized in their hearts by Daniel Peterson, but I damn sure am not going to stop anyone from voting by mail or dropping off a ballot on their way home from the nursing home.

Oh. One more thing. Nobody's morals are any of your goddamn business and ain't nobody owes panny an explanation for a damn thing. So yeah, there will be reactions you do not like. Kinda normal really.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:13 pm

Binger is whining about DOJ not prosecuting, but the DOJ likely will be prosecuting him and it is likely only going to happen because of these hearings. This is probably what upsets him the most. His orange master getting what's coming to him. Just watch. Once the DOJ indicts him and he's put on trial, let's guess what Binger will be complaining about then.
Blah blather blah blah whatever.

I am not whining about the DOJ not prosecuting. They can do whatever the hell they want. Like I give a damn. If the DOJ is swayed by a theater act in primetime, great!!!!!! If Garland wants to indict, and there is a real trial instead of this sham show kangaroo court theater, great. Will it be broadcast in primetime?

Do it. Tell Garland to indict him and put those people on the stand.

When do you think that will happen?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:29 pm
Trump should spend the rest of his days in federal prison.
I agree, but I fear that he won't. I fear that even if he is indicted and tried, it may be impossible to find 12 jurors acceptable to his defense team who are likely to vote guilty, no matter how damning the evidence against him. Why a man as obviously dishonest and corrupt as he has inspired such a strong and loyal calling is very hard for me to understand.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:35 pm
Why a man as obviously dishonest and corrupt as he has inspired such a strong and loyal calling is very hard for me to understand.
Trump as president is the symptom. You will never understand this. Stop trying. You are not capable of understanding it.

A vote for Trump was a vote AGAINST YOU more than it was a vote for Trump.

Unique conversations like this, here in this forum, are more of a campaign for more votes against you than anything Trump could EVER do on his own. I am not sure what is so complicated about this. Really, truly, I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
I put much of the blame on the GOP as a whole. Had they done their duty and fulfilled their oath to the Constitution they would have voted to impeach him long ago. But they put party before country.
I couldn't agree more! He was clearly guilty at both impeachment trials, and any non-partisan, rational, honest and justice loving Senate would have voted to impeach him.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Because it makes sense to own the libs for wanting unisex bathrooms, by voting back in the fellow who repeatedly lies about an election, egged on trashing the Capitol, and who has no respect for the founding principles of the Constitution, as demonstrated by his attempt to guarantee himself a second term under dishonest pretenses.

That’ll show em! : D
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:10 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Because it makes sense to own the libs for wanting unisex bathrooms, by voting back in the fellow who repeatedly lies about an election, egged on trashing the Capitol, and who has no respect for the founding principles of the Constitution, as demonstrated by his attempt to guarantee himself a second term under dishonest pretenses.

That’ll show em! : D
It may. But that is not what I said. You said that.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:54 pm
Vēritās wrote:
I couldn't agree more! He was clearly guilty at both impeachment trials, and any non-partisan, rational, honest and justice loving Senate would have voted to impeach him.
LMAO! You love kangaroos, don't you? A house of partisan hacks had a trial where even the Chief Justice would not sit in on the damn thing and you came to this conclusion? Mmmmmmmmkaaaaayyyyyyy.

Process matters. In fact. It is the process that distinguishes a kangaroo court from a court or trial, not the outcome. Boing.... boing...... boing...... and off to Uluru you go, mate.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Lest anyone be confused as to whether Binger is speaking his own mind or letting others shape his opinion for him...
On Friday evening, the New York Post and The Wall Street Journal each published editorials condemning Donald Trump’s refusal to stop the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by his supporters, as chronicled by the latest hearing from the House select committee investigating the assault. Soon after, the chattering class came to a swift – but ultimately premature – conclusion: Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch, who control those publications, had turned on the former president.

Those observers should have waited another hour or so.

While they were contemplating the implications of the Murdoch empire rejecting Trump, the Murdochs’ protege, Tucker Carlson, was starting his Fox News program with a furious salvo against the January 6 committee that reflected much of what the network’s millions of viewers have been seeing since the hearings began last month.

Carlson did not condemn Trump on Friday. In fact, consistent with his network’s pattern of ignoring the committee’s findings, the Fox host did not mention Trump’s activities on January 6 at all. Instead, he devoted his opening monologue to the argument that the committee’s actions constitute “politicized justice” like that found in an “authoritarian regime,” in which “your opponents go to jail, your supporters can do whatever they want, and this reveals that the state exists not to serve the people who live in it, but to preserve itself and to crush all dissent.”

Carlson’s complaint is that the successful prosecutions of many close allies of the president – including former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, found guilty of contempt that day for refusing to comply with the committee’s subpoena, along with, among others, Trump’s former campaign chair, his former national security adviser, and his longtime political adviser – indicate not a pattern of rampant criminality around Trump, but rather that the United States is “moving toward the authoritarian system we now have, where justice is an illusion.”

The Fox host went on to characterize the hearings as a “show trial” taking place under the “woke system of justice that Liz Cheney has brought us” (in fact, it is not a trial at all).

Carlson also minimized the violence on January 6, laughing at the committee receiving testimony from an anonymous White House security official who was, in Carlson’s words, “claiming that Secret Service agents assigned to Mike Pence were using their radios to tell their families goodbye like they're on the deck of the Titanic because they assumed they would die in the Capitol because some guy in Viking horns on mushrooms was spinning around in circles and talking about peace.” He added, “They were so afraid.”

Of course, when one of the scores of law enforcement officials who were assaulted by the mob on January 6 testified publicly last year, Carlson made fun of him too.

Carlson also denounced other media outlets, calling it “absolutely shameful, absolutely shameful that the other channels played this crap without pushing back in even the mildest way,” and praised Fox for refusing to air the hearings live in prime time.

He concluded that the committee “worked in tandem with the Justice Department to punish the enemies of the Democratic Party,” representing “the single greatest threat to the rule of law in the history of the United States.”

Carlson then brought on Bannon, who called for an investigation into “FBI asset involvement” on January 6 and praised the Fox host’s past reporting on the attack (Carlson has suggested the violent storming of the U.S. Capitol by Trumpists was a false flag masterminded by the federal government). Bannon also described the Biden administration as “illegitimate,” an allusion to the underlying lie that motivated the insurrectionists – that the election had been rigged against Trump.

Carlson isn’t an outlier at Fox. His colleagues at the right-wing propaganda network have tried to bury the committee’s revelations while instead feeding conspiracy theories about the attack to their viewers.

If the Murdochs didn’t want all this to happen, it wouldn’t happen. Rupert gave Carlson a job and a show, Lachlan reportedly speaks to him regularly, and together they made him the face of their network, which has defended him against any and all criticism for years.

“I’m 100 percent [Rupert Murdoch’s] bitch,” Carlson once said. “Whatever Mr. Murdoch says, I do."

The Murdochs may want some credit from the establishment for having their relatively high-brow outlets, the Journal and the Post, criticize Trump. But they also want to speak to the party’s Trumpist, pro-insurrection base. And so they are cheering on Tucker Carlson’s blood-soaked white nationalism, his deadly anti-vaccine conspiracy theories, and his reprehensible 1/6 trutherism.
PETER NAVARRO: The mission of that partisan witch hunt kangaroo committee, which is unduly authorized and not properly constituted and has no subpoena power, they have only one mission to concoct a fake hoax around January 6 based on criminal charges against Trump to prevent him from running for reelection and taking back the White House in 2025 January. That's all this is about.

Sean Hannity called the hearing “hearsay” orchestrated by an “anti-Trump kangaroo court.”

“There is no cross-examination of this so-called witness,” Trump wrote on his social media platform, Truth Social. “This is a Kangaroo court!”
Last edited by Vēritās on Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18