Political Views

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Re: Political Views

Post by Hawkeye »

I have a tendency to be conservative in my views

LOL.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:03 pm
I have a tendency to be conservative in my views

LOL.
Talking about traditional conservatism, not stuff that has crossed over into White Nationalism/Trumpfoonery.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:27 pm
Talking about traditional conservatism, not stuff that has crossed over into White Nationalism/Trumpfoonery.
Trump fans think conservatism means authoritarianism, lying, hypocrisy, corruption, ignoring facts and "owning the libs."

They aren't that bright.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 am
I have a tendency to be conservative in my views,
Would you tick off a few positions in order for us understand your political leanings better?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:15 pm
Moksha wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:27 pm
Trump fans think conservatism means authoritarianism, lying, hypocrisy, corruption, ignoring facts and "owning the libs."

They aren't that bright.
Have you ever met a Trump fan?
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

bill4long wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:35 am
1. When was the last time you changed someone's mind about a political view? If so, what was the issue(s)?
Maybe a couple weeks ago. I don't know that it's necessarily a political view (although there is a pretty strong lean). It was on estate taxes.
2. Has anyone ever changed your mind with regards to a political view? If so, what was the issue(s)?
It's likely more-so a human rights issue, but the most significant one was probably my opposition to gay marriage. I voted for the Nevada constitutional amendment excluding gay couples from marriage the first time it was on the ballot.

I wish I could say what the turning point was, and who exactly helped sway me. I had a myriad of gay friends at the time, but I don't know that it was necessarily any of them. I wish I could say why I held such an abhorrent position. There was no hate or malice in my political view -- at least not conscious. I imagine to a great extent it was a kind of "the religious body I am apart of is against it, and the political party I am apart of is against it, so I'm against it."

It's something that's been a bit of a cautionary reminder to me that I try to draw upon when I find myself going with a position because it seems to be what everyone I am associated with is doing, and do some introspection on what I truly believe, and who is potentially impacted by my beliefs/actions. Also serves as a reminder that people can change, and that even when someone's views are hurtful, and calloused, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are personally coming from a place of hate.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:26 pm
Would you tick off a few positions in order for us understand your political leanings better?
- Doc
Sometimes I will hear of a particularly vile crime and yell "Get a rope". I've waffled back and forth on abortion a number of times because I understand the argument of both sides. I've scoffed at the idea of spending money we didn't have.

I find the philosophy of Jesus to be very compelling and it has driven most of my political beliefs. I've parted company with virulent conservatives who are more Mosaic code driven and seem to eschew the teachings of Jesus. Greed is definitely antithetical to Christianity and yet it is a virtue to extreme conservatives. That alienates me from their fold.

The idea of treating others as we would want to be treated seems very conservative and yet it is mostly practiced by liberals. Honesty and integrity seem to be time-honored conservative values, and yet they have both been stood on their head by Republicans who also claim to be conservative. Go figure.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:08 pm

I used to believe that the confederates meant nothing but rich aristocrats who owned and abused slaves as portrayed on television during the 80s. As I've learned the real history, I've come to realize that the confederates were actually the common poor people rising up against the wealthy northern overlords in an effort to hang on to their constitutional rights, state sovereignty, land, and homes.
To a degree both of these pictures of the civil war are selections of a different group of real observations. There actually were slaves and a serious conflict about them. There were also poor white confederates who did not have slaves and understood the war as standing up for their states safety and honor.

I wonder if it is easier to change ones mind if one remains sure to consider only a preselected partial group of
facts.
////
Hawkeye to be more open about my comment I think you have purchased into a rather newfangled lost cause myth.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:43 pm

When I first started posting here, ldsfaqs believed that the 2008 housing crisis was caused by the government. I put forth some lengthy arguments showing how the proliferation of Collateralized Debt Obligations and the separation of loan brokers from the viability of the loans themselves helped precipitate the crisis. I actually thought that facts were the thing that would change his mind. Oh well.

I don't know that you change your mind because of one thing someone said. If and when a person changes their mind, it's not unlike what is happening with certain members of the GOP right now with respect to Donald Trump. It's an accumulation of facts over time.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

There were also poor white confederates who did not have slaves and understood the war as standing up for their states safety and honor.
Most confederates fit into this category. That's my families perspective.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas