History of Music

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: History of Music

Post by Binger »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:07 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 am
Who is your favorite guitarist from one of the sub-genres?
Rockabilly~Keith Richards
Early Rock~Keith Richards
Blues~Keith Richards
Hard Rock~Keith Richards
Copycat
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Because I suffer from hazy memory spots I checked with Muddy's recording. It is ,"I am a man spelled m.h.i.n." unlike my misstatement.

I think it is an arbitrary choice for sound without special meaning. (Unless there is some reference I do not know.)
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:20 pm
Because I suffer from hazy memory spots I checked with Muddy's recording. It is ,"I am a man spelled m.h.i.n." unlike my misstatement.

I think it is an arbitrary choice for sound without special meaning. (Unless there is some reference I do not know.)
I think it has something to do with the whole ‘mannish boy’ thing that Muddy, Bo Diddly, and Willie Dixon were doing at the time. It was partly a political statement about black men always being referred to as ‘boy,’ though they were, in every aspect, men.

Edit: I believe he says, “I'm a man. Spelled M. A child. N.”
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:57 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:20 pm

I think it has something to do with the whole ‘mannish boy’ thing that Muddy, Bo Diddly, and Willie Dixon were doing at the time. It was partly a political statement about black men always being referred to as ‘boy’ though they were, in every way, men.

Edit: I believe he says, “I'm a man. I spelled M. A child. N.”
Hi Morley, I can see your point about political point being there. It is there even with such more straightforward matters as,"now past 21, have lots of fun, full grown man , natural born lover man"

I looked on line for words to the song and see a match to what you list. I was puzzled listened to the song again then tried some youtube versions later than the 1955 version. I kept hearing m h i n. I listed to Bo Diddly version, it is the same song but he clearly spells the less confusing m.a.n.

Then what may be a tiny moment of understanding hit me. Perhaps I am hearing M. A.child.N. but my brain is putting the sound together as M h i n . Well or something like that.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:39 am

Who's your favorite guitarist from each of these subgenres?
It's now Keith Richards. :D
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 am
Who is your favorite guitarist from one of the sub-genres?
Blues~Keith Richards
Hard Rock~Keith Richards

Great! What can you tell me about him, and what do you think he contributed to rock history? Or in your opinion, what is so special about him?

And out of curiosity, have you seen the new Elvis movie? It was good!
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:07 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:

Blues~Keith Richards
Hard Rock~Keith Richards

Great! What can you tell me about him, and what do you think he contributed to rock history?
I gave you links to 2 different threads that have a plethora of information on Keith Richards, his beginnings, influences, all the musicians he's played with and essentially his history in music. You'll have to run through those threads or search for his interviews on youtube. I can tell you this much.

He's a pirate.

And out of curiosity, have you seen the new Elvis movie? It was good!
I'm going Friday afternoon! 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:04 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:39 am

Who's your favorite guitarist from each of these subgenres?
It's now Keith Richards. :D
Try this quick clip and see if you can locate this special on Netflix. I noticed in this he's referring to the Celtic influence on American music as I stated previously on this thread. If it's no longer on Netflix, find clips like this from it. Then notice what comes up on your recommended video feed on youtube.

Keith on the Blues from Keith Richards: Under the lnfluence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xv_myzKXY0

We love Keith Richards like apple butter simmerin' on the top of the stove.
8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 pm

I gave you links to 2 different threads that have a plethora of information on Keith Richards, his beginnings, influences, all the musicians he's played with and essentially his history in music.

:D Yes. I'm going over it.

Does another guitarist come to your mind?
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 pm

I'm going Friday afternoon! 8-)
You are going to like it.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

DT there are a bazillion youtube interviews with Keith Richards on youtube. All you have to do is search for them and give them a listen.

Slava Ukraini!