Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by drumdude »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:12 am
drumdude wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:41 am
I find that a bit odd to be skeptical of an objective reality while not being skeptical that the Mormon god exists.
Drumdude, I am skeptical that the Mormon god exists. I'm just not skeptical that God exists.
Gotcha, I didn't get that on the first couple of your posts. Thank you for clarifying.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Meadowchik wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:29 pm
Humanity has relied upon God doesn't mean we'll always need God. Sufficient would be the construction of a replacement, not necessarily a deity. I'm satisfied with mine.
For me, God is that being that knows how to preserve forever some good things. Without such a God, the human race itself will not last forever. We owe it to future generations of humans to make sure the race persists, and that's why I say that we need God.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:46 pm
Meadowchik wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:29 pm
Humanity has relied upon God doesn't mean we'll always need God. Sufficient would be the construction of a replacement, not necessarily a deity. I'm satisfied with mine.
For me, God is that being that knows how to preserve forever some good things. Without such a God, the human race itself will not last forever. We owe it to future generations of humans to make sure the race persists, and that's why I say that we need God.
What if humans are not that good thing that your conception of God knows how to preserve forever. How can you be certain that humans, unassisted by God, cannot I’ll live forever. The predicted heat death of the universe is a long ways off.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:29 am
Marcus wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:35 am
i think we're being spoofed, guys. :D
Not at all, Marcus; I'm completely serious. God for me is someone who knows how to preserve forever some good things. I have no use for the literally omnipotent, literally omniscient literal creator of this world; all I’m talking about is a forever preserver. Without one, the human race is eventually going to die out. Which means that race will have a last generation. That last generation will be made up of real people, with hopes and dreams like you and I have, Marcus. What is your conscientious obligation to that last generation? I say our obligation to them is to work towards their non-existence, to make sure there is no last generation of humans. And that is why we need God.
It did not seem to bother the last person who cut down the last tree on Easter Island. Humans have the capacity to end almost everything even themselves.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:54 am
Why are you repeating yourself? Is this a proselytizing assignment for you?
No, this is not a proselytizing assignment for me.
Marcus wrote:Whats the point of giving an almost identical response to two entirely different comments?
Marcus, I certainly don't remember giving an almost identical response to two entirely different comments. Can you tell me what the two comments were? Maybe I can figure it out from that.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:00 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:54 am
Why are you repeating yourself? Is this a proselytizing assignment for you?
Marcus wrote:Whats the point of giving an almost identical response to two entirely different comments?
Marcus, I certainly don't remember giving an almost identical response to two entirely different comments. Can you tell me what the two comments were? Maybe I can figure it out from that.
You literally got my words from the exact post where i quoted (WITH LINKS) both of your comments. you left out that part of my post, which of course you had to do in order to ask your questions.

Your comment that "you don't remember" and "can you tell me what the two comments were," when they were in the very post you just quoted, is facile in the extreme.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:20 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:00 pm

You literally got my words from the exact post where i quoted (WITH LINKS) both of your comments. you left out that part of my post, which of course you had to do in order to ask your questions.

Your comment that "you don't remember" and "can you tell me what the two comments were," when they were in the very post you just quoted, is facile in the extreme.
I find some aspects of KevinSim's postings quite strange. This is at least the third time in just a couple of pages where he either has totally ignored what is being said to him, or has misquoted or incompletely quoted someone to the extent that what he did quote completely distorts the quotee's point.

That and his apparent insistence that what he has decided to believe must represent reality in spite of lack of even marginally convincing evidence have made me conclude that, although he is somewhat more polite and pleasant in tone than MG, he is a virtual clone of MG.

I think that, as I now do with MG, I should not bother to try to engage with him. It's a waste of time and mental energy.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Meadowchik wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:08 am
I disagree. As an exmormon atheist who thinks things through I don't arrive at your conclusion.
Meadowchik, do you think the human race is going to last forever? If not, then there will be a last generation of that race. What is your conscientious obligation to that last generation of humans?
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:08 pm
Meadowchik wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:08 am
I disagree. As an exmormon atheist who thinks things through I don't arrive at your conclusion.
Meadowchik, do you think the human race is going to last forever? If not, then there will be a last generation of that race. What is your conscientious obligation to that last generation of humans?
Hopefully they will not spend time answering questions as stupid as this.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Why does anything good about the human race need to be preserved at all after humans are gone?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024