LIV Golf

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: LIV Golf

Post by Moksha »

Clearly, there is a need for a Binger-style Kangaroo Court!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm
Speaking of butthurt, it's no surprise that Trump would host a couple LIV tournaments, given that he's a whiney piece of crap who doesn't give a damn about America, and couldn't maintain a relationship with the PGA.

I haven't watched any LIV golf, because I like watching the best golfers in the world. None of the defectors are very likeable people in the first place, and they're all on the downside of their careers (Cameron Smith is the only exception - him signing with LIV is only partially surprising, though, given he doesn't make good life decisions, which I'm basing on his screwed up hair style). I've never been a fan of any of them. Frankly, I'm glad they left the field.
Has Cam Smith signed with LIV? I couldn't find anything other than they are in discussions supposedly. That's a big get if it is true. Anyway, I watched some of both LIV events. The first was really boring but the one in Portland was better. I'll watch some of this one this weekend, but if Tony Finau keeps it up, l'll be watching him. He shot a -8 today and is in first place.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:49 am
I'll watch some of this one this weekend, but if Tony Finau keeps it up, l'll be watching him. He shot a -8 today and is in first place.
That dude is on fire. I watched him win the 3M last weekend and he looked almost flawless on Sunday.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Has Cam Smith signed with LIV? I couldn't find anything other than they are in discussions supposedly. That's a big get if it is true.
Yeah, you're right; I couldn't find confirmation that he's actually sighed with LIV either. It looks like it's still just an offer at this point.

I really hope he resists the temptation. I do think he should cut his hair, though. Godawful.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Heard another rumor that Cam Smith is set to join LIV. It's still not official... yet.

In other golf news, the three LIV golfers looking for a restraining order to play in the FedEx Cup playoffs have had their request denied by the judge. Good news.

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:06 pm
Heard another rumor that Cam Smith is set to join LIV. It's still not official... yet.

In other golf news, the three LIV golfers looking for a restraining order to play in the FedEx Cup playoffs have had their request denied by the judge. Good news.
I heard the rumor about Cam Smith and Mark Leishman too going to LIV. It could end up being pretty formidable.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Golfers aren’t joining the LIV tour because they feel they aren’t playing enough golf. Some golfers (Poulter) claims to have joined it so he can play less golf and spend more time with family, before then saying he wanted to play the LIV Tour and the majors and selected other events - which is it Ian, you want to play less golf or you want to play more?

The only reason players have joined the LIV Tour is cash. The only reason Greg Norman is involved is cash. They aren’t trying to improve the game, nor widen its appeal. They’re simply stuffing bigger amounts of cash into their pockets. And that’s what the LIV Tour backers have got, barrel loads of cash.

From the PGA Tour perspective, I’m unconvinced they aren’t all about the cash too. Nor that America is that much better on human rights than the Saudi’s. But I do so the general threat of sport being used for regimes to enhance their image as a slippy slope. Golfers should be earning less, not more. Dustin Johnson receiving $150 million for switching tours shows just how mercenary top flight sport has become. Put it against a backdrop of the majority of people struggling to pay their energy bills and it becomes a ridiculous juxtaposition. It’s offensive.

It’s soured my enjoyment of watching the sport. I won’t be watching any LIV Golf, nor supporting any broadcaster that entertains it. It’s not what the game needs. It’s not what the world needs right now. We should be better sharing resources, not encouraging a few to soak up increasing amounts of it at the expense of everyone else.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:31 pm
Golfers aren’t joining the LIV tour because they feel they aren’t playing enough golf. Some golfers (Poulter) claims to have joined it so he can play less golf and spend more time with family, before then saying he wanted to play the LIV Tour and the majors and selected other events - which is it Ian, you want to play less golf or you want to play more?

The only reason players have joined the LIV Tour is cash. The only reason Greg Norman is involved is cash. They aren’t trying to improve the game, nor widen its appeal. They’re simply stuffing bigger amounts of cash into their pockets. And that’s what the LIV Tour backers have got, barrel loads of cash.

From the PGA Tour perspective, I’m unconvinced they aren’t all about the cash too. Nor that America is that much better on human rights than the Saudi’s. But I do so the general threat of sport being used for regimes to enhance their image as a slippy slope. Golfers should be earning less, not more. Dustin Johnson receiving $150 million for switching tours shows just how mercenary top flight sport has become. Put it against a backdrop of the majority of people struggling to pay their energy bills and it becomes a ridiculous juxtaposition. It’s offensive.

It’s soured my enjoyment of watching the sport. I won’t be watching any LIV Golf, nor supporting any broadcaster that entertains it. It’s not what the game needs. It’s not what the world needs right now. We should be better sharing resources, not encouraging a few to soak up increasing amounts of it at the expense of everyone else.
Completely agree.

It has to be for cash. They're getting paid just to switch leagues, in addition to tourney money. They don't have to be that great anymore to acquire boat loads of cash. You're right; it's offensive.

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Looks like Cam Smith is going to LIV:

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumors-swirlin ... 56279.html
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:52 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
I'll watch some of this one this weekend, but if Tony Finau keeps it up, l'll be watching him. He shot a -8 today and is in first place.
That dude is on fire. I watched him win the 3M last weekend and he looked almost flawless on Sunday.
Finau is still killing it this week in the playoffs. Man, he's fun to watch.

I'm also turning into a big Cameron Young fan. I think that rookie is going to win a lot of tournaments in his career.