Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by KevinSim »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:41 pm
What if humans are not that good thing that your conception of God knows how to preserve forever.
They're still not going to last forever.
Res Ipsa wrote:How can you be certain that humans, unassisted by God, cannot I’ll live forever. The predicted heat death of the universe is a long ways off.
I'm not as worried about universal heat death, which we're aware of, as I am about all the other species survival threatening crises before then, that we're not aware of. We're not doing all that well with climate change right now. As a species we keep putting the metaphorical revolver to our head, spinning the chambers, and pulling the trigger. One of these times the gun is going to go off.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:02 pm
It did not seem to bother the last person who cut down the last tree on Easter Island. Humans have the capacity to end almost everything even themselves.
Rivendale, are you saying the residents of Easter Island were conscientiously obligated to cut down all their trees?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:20 pm
You literally got my words from the exact post where i quoted (WITH LINKS) both of your comments. you left out that part of my post, which of course you had to do in order to ask your questions.
Marcus, you seemed so sincere that I went back and checked. There were no links there.
Marcus wrote:Your comment that "you don't remember" and "can you tell me what the two comments were," when they were in the very post you just quoted, is facile in the extreme.
Your comments weren't there either.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:09 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:20 pm
You literally got my words from the exact post where i quoted (WITH LINKS) both of your comments. you left out that part of my post, which of course you had to do in order to ask your questions.
Marcus, you seemed so sincere that I went back and checked. There were no links there.
Marcus wrote:Your comment that "you don't remember" and "can you tell me what the two comments were," when they were in the very post you just quoted, is facile in the extreme.
Your comments weren't there either.
Oh brother. :roll:

Here is my post that you responded to. Note your name, with the arrows that are hyperlinks:
Marcus wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:54 am
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:56 am
...Humans need God. If you disagree then let me know, and I'll explain why I think so. If atheists think things through, they will realize that in the absence of God they have an obligation to produce one.

If they're conscientious then they will try. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe they will succeed; but I think it's more likely they'll give up on the whole endeavor and turn to pessimism. What else can they do?
What is going on?
KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:01 am
[The simple fact is that humanity needs God. If, as atheists assert, there is no deity in control of this universe, then it becomes those atheists' conscientious obligation to produce one.

If atheists have thought things through and are yet not pessimists, then that means they must have found a way to produce such a deity, which would surprise me very much. So if you can explain to me how they have discovered how to produce God, I will admit that I am wrong and that my statement is insupportable.
Why are you repeating yourself? Is this a proselytizing assignment for you?

Whats the point of giving an almost identical response to two entirely different comments?
And here is YOUR post, where you quoted my words from above AND INCLUDED THE LINK, but removed your linked quotes from my comment, and then said you didn't know what i was referring to .
KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:00 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:54 am
Why are you repeating yourself? Is this a proselytizing assignment for you?
No, this is not a proselytizing assignment for me.
Marcus wrote:Whats the point of giving an almost identical response to two entirely different comments?
Marcus, I certainly don't remember giving an almost identical response to two entirely different comments. Can you tell me what the two comments were? Maybe I can figure it out from that.
If you are really this unknowledgable about how forums work, then educate yourself.

However, since you have now tried this delaying tactic with a minimum of FOUR people in this thread, the odds are much greater that you are just playing games. Your reputaton is solidifying.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:35 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:38 pm
Kevin, you’re in a bit of a pickle.
Well, yeah. But the truth of the matter is that Joseph Fielding Smith here is going against what Heber Grant decided, which was that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doesn't have a position on the truth or falsity of Darwin's theory. So who do you believe, Grant or Smith? I choose Grant.
So, you’re picking Grant over JFS, BY, JT, various apostles and countless church publications that mirror JFS’s view of evolution and the gospel? I think you can start posting under your real handle, MG.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:05 am
Rivendale wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:02 pm
It did not seem to bother the last person who cut down the last tree on Easter Island. Humans have the capacity to end almost everything even themselves.
Rivendale, are you saying the residents of Easter Island were conscientiously obligated to cut down all their trees?
Someone cut down the last one. And yes they conscientiously cut down the last one. It was in their blood. They were conditioned to cut down trees. They were indoctrinated to think that was their main focus in life. Unlike most indoctrination that one had some positive benefit. That one last tree provided some warmth or shelter to that person(s). Then their way of life went away.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 am
If you are really this unknowledgable about how forums work, then educate yourself.

However, since you have now tried this delaying tactic with a minimum of FOUR people in this thread, the odds are much greater that you are just playing games. Your reputaton is solidifying.
I suppose it's possible, Marcus, that KevinSim really does not know how the link to the source of a quote is displayed.

However, like anyone else, he could either search the forum, or simply page back to find the source - the least knowledgeable user should be able to do that - and verify that the quote is accurate. The link simply makes it quicker and easier - well, and verified.

When I suspected that KevinSim had misquoted me, all I needed to do was click the link to see my original statement, and it was clear immediately that he had omitted the first part. But he may genuinely be unaware of this 'link to quote' feature of the forum.

ETA: And he may also be unaware (!!) of the limit on nested quotes, that makes quotes beyond the limit 'disappear', hence his declaration that your comments "weren't there".
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:18 am
Marcus wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 am

I suppose it's possible, Marcus, that KevinSim really does not know how the link to the source of a quote is displayed.

However, like anyone else, he could either search the forum, or simply page back to find the source - the least knowledgeable user should be able to do that....
True, but they have misquoted or left out quotes which lead to errors for me, you, IHAQ, and Doc, in this thread alone. How many times does it have to be pointed out before a person learns? :D I'm guessing one less time than it takes for people to conclude they are being disingenuous. :roll:
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:01 am
malkie wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:18 am

However, like anyone else, he could either search the forum, or simply page back to find the source - the least knowledgeable user should be able to do that....
True, but they have misquoted or left out quotes which lead to errors for me, you, IHAQ, and Doc, in this thread alone. How many times does it have to be pointed out before a person learns? :D I'm guessing one less time than it takes for people to conclude they are being disingenuous. :roll:
It is left as an exercise for the student to determine why Marcus (validly) did not quote my entire comment, and yet I have no grounds for complaint!

(by the way, Prof Marcus, did you deliberately set up your comment with an incomplete quote as a 'how-to' illustration?)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:26 pm
Marcus wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:01 am

It is left as an exercise for the student to determine why Marcus (validly) did not quote my entire comment, and yet I have no grounds for complaint!

(by the way, Prof Marcus, did you deliberately set up your comment with an incomplete quote as a 'how-to' illustration?)
:D ...