Doubt is a Very Powerful Spiritual Tool - Not an Evil to Avoid

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Doubt is a Very Powerful Spiritual Tool - Not an Evil to Avoid

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://outsidethebookofmormonbelt.com/ ... ds-church/

I really appreciated this wonderful insightful article on why doubts do not mean you are a critic and enemy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. One is not automatically in rebellion because one doubts the church leaders and questions their choices on so many important matters. Doubt propels this person into stronger faith in Christ, not weakening and damaging to her life. This is a significant insight into so many issues when it comes to Mormonism (gotta give Satan his point)... well worth the couple of minutes it takes to read it. There are criticisms Mormonism deserves and needs in order to improve itself. They are not false because they show the Brethren can be and often are just wrong in their views. Just a solid read with a good psychological aspect to live with and enjoy personal growth through... growth through doubt! Really well articulated!
Gadianton
God

Re: Doubt is a Very Powerful Spiritual Tool - Not an Evil to Avoid

Post by Gadianton »

It's trivial to deconstruct the Mormon aversion to doubt when "opposition in all things" is a basic doctrine. That's why MG needs to invent a story about a time in his life where he doubted. Mormons will say that you don't have to become an alcoholic to appreciate sobriety, but, you do have to experience getting tricked by bad information to improve your abilities as a student, and it would be ludicrous to apply the same "positive attitude" to any other life endeavor. "I'm not going to disbelieve in Atlantis no matter what". Further, Mormonism demands we embrace "negativity" and "doubt" in epic proportions if it has anything to do with "the lone and dreary world". I had a incredibly healthy distrust of evolution as a Mormon, I didn't accept it until around 26, but it might have even been later than that. Ole Rusty would have no problems with doubting thoughts persisting at high volume levels in my mind if it's anything that might stand in the way of paying tithing to his church.

There is a point to which I can agree with the DCP assumption that the Book of Mormon can't be disproven. I'm tolerant enough of religion that if the Book of Mormon really is the cornerstone of faith and a person can't spiritually function without it, I understand such a person saying that the Book can't be disproven, and forbidding themselves from exploring contrary information. I don't think it's a spectacular life decision, but I can say, all right, live and let live.

However, the transition from that assumption to apologetics is deplorable. Assuming that the Book of Mormon is unassailable, and then setting out on a research project to prove that it is true with facts and logic, and that nobody can ultimately prove you wrong, and if possible, students of the Book of Mormon will flood the ranks of higher learning to make a pre-defined place in world scholarship for what is assumed away is madness. The graves of such scholars should be spit upon by all the good people of the earth.

later I'll show more fully why this intense spitting campaign by good people everywhere is justified, as I've got chores now.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I am looking very forward to that intense spitting campaign! :lol: I will contribute to it tonight in my live session when I explore (Using Dr. W's fine analysis, which he generously looked up for me and shared, after I implored him to help me out) the Jaredite barges and the silliness of making that into actual history.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Last edited by Gadianton on Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:48 pm
I am looking very forward to that intense spitting campaign! :lol: I will contribute to it tonight in my live session when I explore (Using Dr. W's fine analysis, which he generously looked up for me and shared, after I implored him to help me out) the Jaredite barges and the silliness of making that into actual history.
wow, i'm so glad to here something about DrW! he was always one of my very, very favorite posters, but he's been very quiet lately. when do you start tonight?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:57 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
wow, i'm so glad to here something about DrW! he was always one of my very, very favorite posters, but he's been very quiet lately. when do you start tonight?
Seconded. I miss Dr. W’s wisdom, insight, calm mind, and clear thinking.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:03 pm
Marcus wrote:

Seconded. I miss Dr. W’s wisdom, insight, calm mind, and clear thinking.

- Doc
I’ll add my voice to this chorus.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:
6 p.m. Mountain time in the U.S.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:05 pm
Marcus wrote:

Thank you!!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:26 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:05 pm

Thank you!!