Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by KevinSim »

malkie wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:45 pm
I find some aspects of KevinSim's postings quite strange. This is at least the third time in just a couple of pages where he either has totally ignored what is being said to him, or has misquoted or incompletely quoted someone to the extent that what he did quote completely distorts the quotee's point.
Malkie, I responded to that post of Marcus'. Did you see my response?
malkie wrote:I think that, as I now do with MG, I should not bother to try to engage with him. It's a waste of time and mental energy.
This forum is for discussing Mormonism. Malkie, are you saying that you are only willing to discuss Mormonism with Latter-day Saints who think the same way as you do? And are you saying that you find it impossible to reason with MG, and therefore it would be impossible to reason with me?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:39 am
KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:08 pm
Meadowchik, do you think the human race is going to last forever? If not, then there will be a last generation of that race. What is your conscientious obligation to that last generation of humans?
Hopefully they will not spend time answering questions as stupid as this.
Fence Sitter, why do you think my questions are stupid?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:01 pm
malkie wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:45 pm
I find some aspects of KevinSim's postings quite strange. This is at least the third time in just a couple of pages where he either has totally ignored what is being said to him, or has misquoted or incompletely quoted someone to the extent that what he did quote completely distorts the quotee's point.
Malkie, I responded to that post of Marcus'. Did you see my response?
And the disingenuousness continues.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
And are you saying that you find it impossible to reason with MG, and therefore it would be impossible to reason with me?
And MG wonders why he’s been labeled a liar, a deceiver, and a troll. Mods, would you please hold MG to one handle, please?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

duplicate opps ....,delete
Last edited by huckelberry on Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Kevin Sim offers an unusual argument for the existence of God. I have not heard it before and my first reaction is puzzlement. Why would a hope for some good to last for ever create an obligation incumbent upon us and the universe? An obligation establishing a real instantiation is rather a large leap from what a person would like to be to something which must be.

A second thought is that in a way this is an unusual approach to the ontological argument but basically is that argument The greatest thing is the order in the universe. Order implies moral obligation to continue order. Thus what maintains that order , God, surely exists.

For me the ontological argument is interesting and has some but incomplete persuasive power. KevinSims is pointing to a reason to consider that the greatest source of order would be concerned with humans. It does not require humans to be the greatest good only that they are an aspect or participant in that possibility.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:37 pm
Kevin Sim offers an unusual argument for the existence of God. I have not heard it before and my first reaction is puzzlement. Why would a hope for some good to last for ever create an obligation incumbent upon us and the universe? An obligation establishing a real instantiation is rather a large leap from what a person would like to be.

A second thought is that in a way this is an unusual approach to the ontological argument but basically is that argument The greatest thing is the order in the universe. Order implies moral obligation to continue order. Thus what maintains that order , God, surely exists.

For me the ontological argument is interesting and has some but incomplete persuasive power. KevinSims is pointing to a reason to consider that the greatest source of order would be concerned with humans. It does not require humans to be the greatest good only that they are an aspect or participant in that possibility.
Has MG/KS actually laid out 1) what exactly is the “good” that’s objectively good and 2) as such is good enough to preserve beyond the Heat Death of the observable universe?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:54 am
Why does anything good about the human race need to be preserved at all after humans are gone?
Dr. Shades, in one sense there is no need; I can't prove that anyone is going to suffer and die because humans are no longer around. But in another sense I think humans have a need to make a difference in the universe, in the short term and the long term. And there's also the matter of conscience. I think humans need to satisfy their consciences, and their consciences can't ignore the generation of real people, with hopes and dreams like you and I have, whose hopes and dreams are not going to be fulfilled because we chose to not work towards them.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:30 pm
KevinSim wrote:
And are you saying that you find it impossible to reason with MG, and therefore it would be impossible to reason with me?
And MG wonders why he’s been labeled a liar, a deceiver, and a troll. Mods, would you please hold MG to one handle, please?

- Doc
please.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:30 pm
KevinSim wrote:

- Doc
There is no reliable evidence at this point that the same person is posting on both accounts.

Even if they were, both accounts pre-date the sock puppet rule, and so are grandfathered as "legal" sock puppets. There is no rule that requires a person with more than one "legal" account to stick to one or the other.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.