What If? 2020

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: What If? 2020

Post by Moksha »

Trump says we do not know what happened on 9/11. With that willingness to lie about everything, Trump supporters will be whining about the 2020 election for the next century.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:52 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:47 am

Your inability to process the difference between populism and popular support.

ETA: I mean that literally. I don't believe you are actually capable of discerning the difference. It's too...damaging.
That is a diagnosis that you could not make with the information you have. Also, were you to have enough information to make a qualified diagnosis of me, it would require discussion and engagement, which, in another thread, you said I can't do. So which is it, honor? Do you dialogue enough with me to diagnose me, or do I not participate so you do not have the data?

And, am I really conversing with you here in Paradise? Or, are you only getting what the moderators allow? Is there a filter over this conversation?

For example. What if one of my posts was not allowed here, but it was a KEY part of my position on the topic. Could your diagnosis be swayed?
What if indeed. Are you thinking of a specific post that was disapproved for this thread?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Binger wrote:
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:47 am

Your inability to process the difference between populism and popular support.

ETA: I mean that literally. I don't believe you are actually capable of discerning the difference. It's too...damaging.
That is a diagnosis that you could not make with the information you have. Also, were you to have enough information to make a qualified diagnosis of me, it would require discussion and engagement, which, in another thread, you said I can't do. So which is it, honor? Do you dialogue enough with me to diagnose me, or do I not participate so you do not have the data?

And, am I really conversing with you here in Paradise? Or, are you only getting what the moderators allow? Is there a filter over this conversation?

For example. What if one of my posts was not allowed here, but it was a KEY part of my position on the topic. Could your diagnosis be swayed?
The question sits unanswered in prison. Do you want to answer it there, then? Or is it easier to have a defense to shield yourself from having to confront the issue?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:28 am
Binger wrote:

The question sits unanswered in prison. Do you want to answer it there, then? Or is it easier to have a defense to shield yourself from having to confront the issue?
It's much easier to insinuate that moderators are suppressing the truth than actually answer a question.
he/him

Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:46 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:28 am

It's much easier to insinuate that moderators are suppressing the truth than actually answer a question.
It was a hypothetical.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:52 am
Res Ipsa wrote:

It was a hypothetical.
Yeah buddy. Sure it was. by the way, I'd already checked the mod log and found no disapprovals of posts to this thread. Just you trying to use the moderators as an excuse to avoid answering a question.
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:52 am
Res Ipsa wrote:

It was a hypothetical.
You mean you posted a deflection from a point by hypothesizing about a distraction? Gasp!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:38 am
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:17 am
meh... whatever. If they want to pick up ballots from drop boxes and post boxes, great. Have a great time. I am going fishing.
To bring this up to this forum, you aren't able to offer a reasoned defense for your opposition to mail-in ballots other than your innate malcontentedness. It's part of the difference between popular opinions working within a democratic process compared to populist discontent and focus on opposition to a perceived oppressive elite. You exemplify why it is not accurate to call popular support the same thing as populism.

Honor, regarding Binger’s opposition to mail-in or drop-off ballots … why would someone who claimed to be on the populist side of things prefer to have fewer options available for the common people to use, for voting?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:29 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:38 am

To bring this up to this forum, you aren't able to offer a reasoned defense for your opposition to mail-in ballots other than your innate malcontentedness. It's part of the difference between popular opinions working within a democratic process compared to populist discontent and focus on opposition to a perceived oppressive elite. You exemplify why it is not accurate to call popular support the same thing as populism.

Honor, regarding Binger’s opposition to mail-in or drop-off ballots … why would someone who claimed to be on the populist side of things prefer to have fewer options available for the common people to use, for voting?
Great question, Canpakes. I'm suggesting that it shows the difference between populist positions and democratic ones. Culty is fed up with a system he believes works against the common folk and is being manipulated by the evil elite. His opposition is grounded in his populist malcontent with the system. The system is rotten, so he has stepped off and will politely await its eventual demise at the hands of a future, inevitable popular uprising. That is in stark contrast with someone whose principles are in favor of democratic representation and participation in the voting process. Its revealing of the disconnect in Culty's poorly developed political views. But don't tell him that. He thinks its just me being a dick towards him and not engaging - or being against "the people" - when I try to shine a spotlight on the contradictions in what he says in order to expose the issues with populism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Thanks, honor. I find it odd that Binger may perceive that the evil elites would choose to use drop boxes and vote-by-mail as a way to manipulate ‘the system’, as opposed to those folks just choosing more direct, less chancy methods. In fact, we witnessed one party in 2020 attempt to substitute ‘fake electors’, or try to declare outright that the vote tallies were fraudulent, or who - from the top of that heirarchy - simply asked their confederates to ‘find’ them more votes. Yet, those examples of outright usurpation of the democratic voting process have been ignored by Binger, and he focuses instead on those options that most empower more of the least advantaged amongst the voting population.

Weirdly, all of the stuff that I just mentioned was done by the party that so many self-proclaimed populists support. But, maybe that’s normal. I don’t think that I’ve spent too much time around populists, so I don’t know their preferred methods.