What If? 2020

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: What If? 2020

Post by honorentheos »

Populism as a framework isn't really uniquely expressed on the right. In fact, it's probably been found just as obviously on the left in the positions expressed by many in the Green Party and fringe independent candidates. Sanders attracts populist support, and Bernie Bros are inherently populists in their opposition to corporate elites and the Democrat party mainstream. It's taking over the left in many ways. The framing, (evil elite) is oppressing (common good folk) is essentially what makes populism populism. It globs onto conservatism, progressivism, libertarianism, and just about any other -ism with ease by exploiting discontent. It tends to organize around someone who claims to speak for the common folk and represent their interests against the evil elite. But the populist opportunist uses their bully pulpit to demand action against an evil elite rather than speaking to actions founded on fundamental principles and democratic ideals.

Consider this with the definition of authoritarianism from the thread on Kotkin: Authoritarianism is the rule of the few in the name of the many. Populism is the vehicle authoritarians ride to take power. Totalitarianism is rule of the many by the few, which is the fear whipped up by authoritarian opportunists to mobilize them. Then the mob is placated into authoritarian rule by those who claim to represent them against those who opposed them as a totalitarian crisis averted is victory.

The defense against this is not found in counter-populist movements but in the strengthening of democratic institutions and ideals. The rule of the many by the many is only obtained through strong democratic institutions and commitments. When someone does wrong, partisanship takes a backseat to justice. When a chance to undermine the system presents a political opportunity, the commitment to libertarian democracy should demand one abstain. One doesn't attempt to overturn an election in Congress through a fabricated attempt to undermine the electoral college in 2016 or 2020 without eroding those institutions. Just as an example.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:22 am
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:52 am

It was a hypothetical.
Yeah buddy. Sure it was. by the way, I'd already checked the mod log and found no disapprovals of posts to this thread. Just you trying to use the moderators as an excuse to avoid answering a question.
You sure about that?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:22 am

Yeah buddy. Sure it was. by the way, I'd already checked the mod log and found no disapprovals of posts to this thread. Just you trying to use the moderators as an excuse to avoid answering a question.
You sure about that?
Res is sure. I just checked myself. There aren’t any disapprovals or denied posts authored by you.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 am
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 am

You sure about that?
Res is sure. I just checked myself. There aren’t any disapprovals or denied posts authored by you.
How sure? All the way? Check again. I am sure you are correct. After all, the point was a hypothetical. Check again though.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:11 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 am

How sure? All the way? Check again. I am sure you are correct. After all, the point was a hypothetical. Check again though.
I hypothetically checked again. I was right the first time. Thanks for acknowledging that.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:14 am
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:11 am

I hypothetically checked again. I was right the first time. Thanks for acknowledging that.
Wait. Check again. I have a notice on my end.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Binger wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:34 pm
Scores for Biden:
Ukraine: F- for being a complicit bucket carrying crony to a money-laundering crime syndicate.
In the money-laundering crime syndicate contest, Vladimir Putin wins in a walk.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:14 am

That’s the notice of funds withdrawal from your account, for the checking fee.

You never read the fine print, do you?
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:48 am
Binger wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:34 pm
Scores for Biden:
Ukraine: F- for being a complicit bucket carrying crony to a money-laundering crime syndicate.
In the money-laundering crime syndicate contest, Vladimir Putin wins in a walk.
Here is the difference, MeDot. I don't care if Putin was laundering money for Ivanov and Puchkov. I don't care if he steals their money. I care that Zelensky is taking mine. I am selfish like that. I understand that other people may be equally pissed about Zelensky having their money that Biden/McConnell takes and gives away.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:51 am
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 am

That’s the notice of funds withdrawal from your account, for the checking fee.

You never read the fine print, do you?
No. It was not that. Please check again.