Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:41 pm
Kevin is a lot like MG2.0 in that he expects you to do the work to show that he is right. I wouldn’t hold my breath…
I don’t see where he has asked me to do any work...
I think IHAQ is referring to things like this...
KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:01 am
...If, as atheists assert, there is no deity in control of this universe, then it becomes those atheists' conscientious obligation to produce one...
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:58 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:43 am
I believe pigs can fly, you do not. If you think things through you will realise that in the absence of flying pigs you have an obligation to produce a flying pig. If you’re conscientious you will try. Maybe I’m wrong about you, maybe you will produce a flying pig, but I think it’s more likely you won’t bother and will return to being pessimistic about pigs flying. However, failing to produce a flying pig validates my position that pigs can fly.
IHAQ, I never said failing to produce God validates my position that God exists.
That’s exactly what you said.
IHAQ wrote:The onus is on you to produce your God, as you’re the believer.
You're right that I am a believer. Why does that mean that the onus is on me?
Because you’re the one making the claim God exists and He talked to you.
Last edited by IHAQ on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:26 am
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:40 pm
I think the analogy is exactly the same. Kevin wants all atheists (remember, if they don’t do what Kevin has determined they need to do then they are all “lazy learners”) to prove God doesn’t exist by showing that God exists. It’s a bonkers position.
IHAQ, when have I ever said anything about "lazy learners" or wanting atheists to prove God doesn't exist?
On this very thread.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:56 am
Res Ipsa wrote:

I don’t see where he has asked me to do any work...
I think IHAQ is referring to things like this...
KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:01 am
...If, as atheists assert, there is no deity in control of this universe, then it becomes those atheists' conscientious obligation to produce one...
If that's what he meant, I disagree.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Meadowchik wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:31 pm
But my obligation doesn't change with either case. And my obligation to the last generation is similar to that for this generation. To try to be good and help goodness spread. And that boils down to treating others and myself as people. I value the fact that another person is just as much a person as I am and I try to act accordingly.
I'm glad to hear that you want to treat that last generation as people, and that their needs are just as valid as yours are.
Meadowchik wrote:As an aside, when it comes down to it, I have to live with myself for the rest of my existence and I want to like me.
Meadowchik, are you planning on dying young, or do you think there's a good chance that you'll live to be old enough to take advantage of society's provision of special resources for the elderly? Resources provided by younger people for older people? Resources that last generation won't have? If you do live long enough to take advantage of those services, can you live with yourself by using those services knowing that future generation won't have access to them? Society is sort of a pyramid scheme. With most pyramid schemes a small group's wealth is built on the back of a lot of people who get screwed. With the society I speak of there isn't quite the imbalance, but the people at the end still get screwed. I think we owe it to them to make sure that last generation doesn't happen, and that means preserving the human race forever, and that means God.
Last edited by KevinSim on Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:45 pm
Meadowchik, are you planning on dying young, or do you think there's a good chance that you'll live to be old enough to take advantage of society's provision of special resources for the elderly? Resources provided by younger people for older people? Resources that last generation won't have? If you do live long enough to take advantage of those services, can you live with yourself by using those services knowing that future generation won't have access to them? Society is sort of a pyramid scheme. With most pyramid schemes a small group's wealth is built on the back of a lot of people who get screwed. With the society I speak of there isn't quite the imbalance, but the people at then still get screwed. I think we owe it to them to make sure that last generation doesn't happen, and that means preserving the human race forever, and that means God.
Wow. This is amazing—on so many levels.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:10 pm
KevinSim wrote: Meadowchik, are you planning on dying young, or do you think there's a good chance that you'll live to be old enough to take advantage of society's provision of special resources for the elderly? Resources provided by younger people for older people? Resources that last generation won't have? If you do live long enough to take advantage of those services, can you live with yourself by using those services knowing that future generation won't have access to them? Society is sort of a pyramid scheme. With most pyramid schemes a small group's wealth is built on the back of a lot of people who get screwed. With the society I speak of there isn't quite the imbalance, but the people at then still get screwed. I think we owe it to them to make sure that last generation doesn't happen, and that means preserving the human race forever, and that means God.
i agree. this set of assumptions is really something:
...I think we owe it to them to make sure that last generation doesn't happen, and that means preserving the human race forever, and that means God.
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:10 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:45 pm
Meadowchik, are you planning on dying young, or do you think there's a good chance that you'll live to be old enough to take advantage of society's provision of special resources for the elderly? Resources provided by younger people for older people? Resources that last generation won't have? If you do live long enough to take advantage of those services, can you live with yourself by using those services knowing that future generation won't have access to them? Society is sort of a pyramid scheme. With most pyramid schemes a small group's wealth is built on the back of a lot of people who get screwed. With the society I speak of there isn't quite the imbalance, but the people at then still get screwed. I think we owe it to them to make sure that last generation doesn't happen, and that means preserving the human race forever, and that means God.

If there is a God trying to preserve good things forever, this paragraph won't be one of them. :roll:
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:47 pm
You literally didn’t address the highlighted portion and my subsequent statement. Are you just doing your usual skimming thing and then proselytizing thing you do, MG? Stop being deceitful and interacting in bad faith.

- Doc
Wow, you guys are harsh. I made a mistake about the quotes I included in a previous post and got called a dishonest poster. Here, Doc, I apparently misunderstood what you meant by fleshing out two things I previously said, and you called me deceitful and said I was interacting in bad faith. There doesn't seem to be much room for error in this forum.
I made two statements about the need, in the absence of God, to produce God, and Doc, you asked me to flesh them out. What exactly did you mean by that, if my responses didn't answer your question?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:25 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:47 pm
You literally didn’t address the highlighted portion and my subsequent statement. Are you just doing your usual skimming thing and then proselytizing thing you do, MG? Stop being deceitful and interacting in bad faith.

- Doc
Wow, you guys are harsh. I made a mistake about the quotes I included in a previous post and got called a dishonest poster. Here, Doc, I apparently misunderstood what you meant by fleshing out two things I previously said, and you called me deceitful and said I was interacting in bad faith. There doesn't seem to be much room for error in this forum.
I made two statements about the need, in the absence of God, to produce God, and Doc, you asked me to flesh them out. What exactly did you mean by that, if my responses didn't answer your question?
More game playing by MG. :roll:

WoW yOu GuYs ArE sUcH a MyStErY tO a PoStEr LiKe MySeLf!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.