4 in 10 Americans cut back on groceries due to Bidenflation

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Re: 4 in 10 Americans cut back on groceries due to Bidenflation

Post by Hawkeye »

We've gotten lost in the weeds on the initial pandemic response. What we're forgetting is that even with the Covid shutdow, if Biden had just come into office, not imposed any new environmental regulations, and not pushed the Build Back Better spending boondoggle, told people that it's time to go back to work, no more stimulus handouts, he was set to oversee a great economy. Democrats had to work very hard to make the economy as bad as it is now.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:03 pm
We've gotten lost in the weeds on the initial pandemic response. What we're forgetting is that even with the Covid shutdow, if Biden had just come into office, not imposed any new environmental regulations, and not pushed the Build Back Better spending boondoggle, told people that it's time to go back to work, no more stimulus handouts, he was set to oversee a great economy. Democrats had to work very hard to make the economy as bad as it is now.
:roll:
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Someone has certainly gotten lost in the weeds.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:38 pm
Political diversity among electorates should make countries with a democratic form of government more responsive to its the citizens’ needs. Looking at Xanax and others across the interwebs I’m forced to acknowledge that the growth of ethnic and/or racial minorities in the US and the EU have created a serious political crises which threatens the future of all democracies, frankly. Native born (mostly white) citizens in these countries feel threatened by the growing populations of people who are unlike them in race, religion, and/or culture - case in point, I just read an article about Americans who live in Mexico City being harassed by Mexicans ‘to just go home’. Seeing how Xanax simply doubles down on every fantasy he’s either been fed by right-wing propaganda outlets or created himself I’m left to wonder:

1) How do we help different factions, especially post-colonial factions, coexist peacefully?

2) How do we carefully reason amongst ourselves with regard to various ideas concerning the role a democratic government plays to address the common needs of a widely disparate electorate? In other words, how do we turn the volume down on propagandists so policy makers can pass a bill that benefits everyone?

3) How can government policies which improve citizens' lives also reduce conflicts among racial group without losing large swaths of the electorate to extremism? For example, paying for a clean water system in Michigan collectively without white Alabamians wanting to secede?

The problem I’m seeing, perfectly demonstrated on this board, is that our ‘shared’ history, social psychology, and politics are 100% colored by our circumstances. Western democracies adopt policies to improve the quality of life for all, generally speaking, but somehow this exasperates factionalists. The title to the opening post is not only way off base in its assumptions, but there’s no educating anyone who’s signed off on this kind of thinking.

Guess I’ll have to dust off the .50 cal sniper rifle and work on my shot group!

- Doc
You might as well, Doc, cuz I've got no good answers. Unless the U.S. is willing to turn the government over to you, me and a case of beer. I think we could get it largely sorted in a weekend.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
… not imposed any new environmental regulations, …

I think that you just make some of these claims because you think that you have to.

Please check out the link below, select ‘Environment’, run through the list, and tell me which items that you believe killed the economy and created crazy worldwide inflation.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/ ... biden-era/

Thanks.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Sorry I'm late to the party here but I would like to pull it back to the OP in a meaningful way if I can. Wonky surveys and terrible misunderstands of global economics aside, if you have the means to do so please consider donating time or money to your local food banks. Regardless of how you personally (or even average Americans) are coping with inflation food banks are struggling.

Both nationally and, in my anecdotal experience, locally they are having a hard time providing for the needs of their communities. Demand is way up and the cost of providing services is as well. I volunteer with an organization and part of our role in the community is helping to supplement area food banks when their own budgets fall short of demand. Our monthly spend currently is just shy of 50% higher than it was over the last few years and my understanding that is with the food banks themselves also spending more. One of the biggest demand drivers here locally isn't those needing full assistance either, rather needing help supplementing their own food spend.

Remember that donating food is extremely helpful but generally speaking your local food bank is using services and programs that allow them to purchase food for a fraction of what you might pay leading monetary donations to goes much further.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:00 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
… not imposed any new environmental regulations, …

I think that you just make some of these claims because you think that you have to.

Please check out the link below, select ‘Environment’, run through the list, and tell me which items that you believe killed the economy and created crazy worldwide inflation.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/ ... biden-era/

Thanks.
Crickets
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
High Spy
Regional Representative

Post by High Spy »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:41 pm
High Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:36 am

Redirect energy policy and investment into OTEC as Carter’s answer to OPEC.
If by "OTEC" you mean "Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion" I agree wholeheartedly. That is a very promising energy source that is well worth pursuing more vigorously. I have long thought that ever since I first read about it years ago, if not decades ago.

As pointed out in the link, desalinated water is or can be an economically viable side-product of producing electrical energy that way.
Energy from the sun heats the surface water of the ocean. In tropical regions, surface water can be much warmer than deep water. This temperature difference can be used to produce electricity and to desalinate ocean water.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-07/high-power-costs-force-us-industrials-factories-to-shut wrote: One potential bright spot, or an indication of how desperate industrial companies are becoming: Some are partnering with startups to explore alternative energy sources: Nature Energy says it expects to start building facilities this year to collect and convert cow dung and crop waste into renewable natural gas. Power Edison, which is proposing to stack massive batteries on barges that can be shipped around to customers in need, is attracting more attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxuoR6M8LU Open Cycle produces fresh water too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2JO6cZT0mQ An improvement in Florida, neutralizes hurricanes and cools the planet!

There is a couple videos from the last two years.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

High Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:33 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxuoR6M8LU Open Cycle produces fresh water too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2JO6cZT0mQ An improvement in Florida, neutralizes hurricanes and cools the planet!

There is a couple videos from the last two years.
Thanks for those links! :) I hadn't seen those before. Hopefully proponents of this and similar technology can succeed in overcoming the massive disinformation campaigns funded by the Fossil Fuel Industry to marginalize and even vilify this and other viable alternatives to continuing and even increasing our reliance on and addiction to environmentally damaging fossil fuels.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Good news for ajax, and everyone else!
… oil slid to a fresh seven-month low. West Texas Intermediate crude oil tumbled 5.7% to settle at $81.93 per barrel, the lowest level since Jan. 13. Brent futures dropped 5.4% to $87.86 per barrel.
No one knows why Biden decided to take a cut in his cut from controlling gasoline prices and forcing all of us to use electric vehicles and eat tofu, but I figure that folks will be OK with that.