Locating Members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Locating Members

Post by drumdude »

https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/wi ... ng_members
To find members, visit the last known address:
Talk with neighbors, a building supervisor, manager, or owner, if known or available.

Contact other family currently living at the member's last known address.

Contact the new individual or family living there.
Contact neighbors adjacent to the member's last known address.

Or use the telephone:

Call the member's last known phone number. It may be a cell phone that they still have or the member may have notified the phone company of their new number.

Contact known relatives in the area.

Contact the phone company information service or operator and ask for new phone listings in the area that may not have been published to online phone directories.

Within the ward:
If the member was in the ward or area for some period of time, seek information from other ward members who may know the member.

Via the postal service:
Send a letter to the member's address asking for their new address and expressing your concern for their welfare. In the United States, to find whether the member has given the United States Postal Service (USPS) a forwarding address, add the words Return Service Requested to the envelope. This instructs the USPS to not forward the mail, but return it to the sender with the forwarding address attached. (This is one of four different phrases the USPS uses; for complete details, see Special Address Services.) Postal service practices vary from country to country. Some countries prohibit the postal service from disclosing change of address information.
United States

Facebook is the most effective way to find someone. There may be many entries but you can sometimes narrow it down by their friend list i.e. known family members or friends. Be certain to try searching by the member's email address as well. If you don't have their email address, try finding it by using their address on Melissadata.com below.

Spokeo is a paid site but one of the most effective and it's also easy to navigate. Search by Name, Address, Username, or email address.

Melissadata Email Lookup is a free tool used to find any email addresses associated by looking up a physical address. Free Registration is Required. After you find the email address, use it to search both Facebook and Spokeo.

WhitePages.com is great for finding people by their last known address. You can also search by phone number, or even locate the contact information for the neighbors to ask them where the member may have moved.

ZabaSearch is a decent people finder. Most records display the date that data was collected which can help you track a person from place to place. Many of the records also display a birth month and year. Birthdates can help you identify the correct individual you are seeking. To search for common names, add their age, city, and other details using their advanced search. Search their free Public Database Directory for even more places to go to for searching. There are some good links to government databases here.

Free411 is a United States phone directory service.
Integrascan is a paid service, but the free preliminary results include full addresses.

CrimCheck offers over 1,000 state, county, city and federal (court) web sites where you can search free public records. Most search services are free.

Ultimate White Pages congregates several search services on one page, although you must search each individually. It currently offers search on FastPeopleSearch.com, Anywho.com, Infospace, Dogpile, Whitepages.com, Yahoo, WhoWhere, and Switchboard. When you search more than once, this service reuses the second browser window for the results. It also offers reverse searches on phone number and address. Results may be dated.

Ancestry.com offers a U.S. Public Records Index that compiles various public records from all 50 states in the United States from 1984 to the present. Entries may contain the following information: name, street or mailing address, telephone number, birth date or birth year.

Birth Database is useful for searching for individuals based on other family members listed on their church membership record. Look at the names of sons and enter them into this database. Now compare the birth date given on his parents IOS. This will narrow down your search when looking for a John Smith in your other popular search sites. This works well for older members who move out and go live with their children.

Social Security Death Index enables you to search for members who have died using as little as a member's first name. This makes it possible for you to find individuals who have uncommon names, including women who may have changed their names.

PeopleSmart shows all records it finds in the state provided for a given name, their age, cities they have lived in, and likely family members associated with the person and the address.

PeekYou correlates data from multiple sources.

Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) is a national index for U.S. District, Bankruptcy, and Appeal courts. If the member has ever been either a plaintiff or a defendant in the United States Courts, then this site will show you the details (Examples include Incarceration or Bankruptcy). This is a very reliable method of finding people because by law they must provide the courts with accurate contact information. Pacer is also a pay-per-use website but if your balance is less than $15 at the end of the quarter then they waive the entire balance. Alternatively you can go to your County's Courthouse to locate county-specific records free-of-charge. How To Locate a Member's Contact Information With PACER:

Register for a UserID. Your login information will be mailed to you.
Login and enter the member's Last Name, First Name Middle Name (or middle initial). If they have a common name it is recommended that you also select the Region.
If you did not select the region then the results for all States filed will be displayed. You can narrow your search down further by selecting a Filter or by looking in the Court column. The first two letters of each court name represent the State in which the filing was made. Find the case most likely to be the Member's then select the Case Number hyperlink to open the case details.

Select Party to display the contact information for the Member. It will show the member's name and address, and sometimes their phone number.

Search engines

There's also the usual search engines: Google, MSN, Yahoo, Ask.com, etc. that can come in handy. They can help you find:

Obituaries, which almost always list a lot of living relatives with their home cities.

Wedding announcements.

Newspaper articles about people graduating from a college or university.

Professional associations. For example, a licensed nurse might be listed in a state's licensing verification web site.
State

Voter registration records
In many states you can check voter registration records online. This method tends to be THE BEST way to find members.

The intent of this database is to make sure that the state has your correct address and see which precinct you are in and such, but it can be used as a way to confirm that the John Smith born on 14-Feb-1955 lives/lived at a particular address. When people get a drivers license, they will usually simultaneously register the person to vote which means that the voter registration records will usually match someone's drivers license. Please note that people are not very good at keeping their drivers license or voter registration record up to date so it might not be accurate.

If you are not sure if your state has an online system, you can probably go into the voter registration office in your county and they can look people up for you. If you go in, they can often tell you if the person moved out of state. They might not have their new address, but they will usually know which state their record was sent to.

NOTE: If someone has re-married or divorced their last name will change. In the search box you should try alternative last names or their name may not show up. Facebook is a good way to determine if someone has changed their name.
Voter Registration Sites:

Alaska - ("Am I Registered to Vote?)
Kentucky
North Carolina
Oregon
Utah ("My Voter Profile" Tab)

Property tax records

A really, really good thing to have is online property tax records. They vary a lot on what you can do with them. Some even let you enter the VIN for a car and it will show you the progression of owners. This can be used to find a relative since cars are often sold to family members.
Alaska - Municipality of Anchorage
California
Florida
Illinois
Maryland
New York
Ohio also Ohio
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Most counties in South Carolina
Many Texas counties have online access to real property information via a county appraisal district web site.
The Texas Appraisal District by County page at AppraisalDistrict.net contains links to an information page for each Texas county.
A link to the county appraisal district web site, if one is available, can be found on the county's information page.
The basic information (name and address) for records of most Texas counties can be searched online at TaxNetUSA (which despite its name only has Texas counties).
Delaware:
New Castle County
Kent County
Sussex County
Criminal records
Another classification of web site that we hope never does us any good (but has at least three times in my efforts) is the sex offender registries and criminal records databases. These are usually done at the state level, but some counties lets you look up bookings and releases within the county. Some cities, especially larger ones, do this also.
Alaska (Search Court Cases by Name)
Utah Divorce records
Utah Divorce Records searches public records by first and/or last name, or browse all divorces in alphabetical order. It displays couple's names and the decree date.
Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend (PDF)
The annual payment allows for Alaskans to share in a portion of the State minerals revenue in the form of a dividend to benefit current and future generations. Search applicant database 2009 - 2014 Name only
Marcus
God

Re: Locating Members

Post by Marcus »

:lol: They are shameless! here's another avenue i read on the Mormon reddit:
received a letter decades after i stopped attending lds church, it was from a person who knew me years ago in my ward. i kid you not, she wrote in the letter:

'bishop passed around a list of people requesting no contact, and asked people to contact them. i saw your name on the no contact list and told the bishop i'd be happy to contact you.'
:roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

i also have a letter from a bishop long ago, sent to me after i told the missionaries to quit bothering me, or i would have them charged with harassment.

the bishop actually mailed me a letter, and put it in writing, that he would NOT be honoring my request to not be harassed, because he had the authority, given from god, to have dominion over me, and therefore he had not only the right, but an obligation (!) to continue harassing me.

Well, not exactly in those words, but pretty close. It was enough of an irrational threat to keep harassing me even though he knew of my requests to stop that i could probably have gotten a restraining order. Good times.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:55 pm
i also have a letter from a bishop long ago, sent to me after i told the missionaries to quit bothering me, or i would have them charged with harassment.

the bishop actually mailed me a letter, and put it in writing, that he would NOT be honoring my request to not be harassed, because he had the authority, given from god, to have dominion over me, and therefore he had not only the right, but an obligation (!) to continue harassing me.

Well, not exactly in those words, but pretty close. It was enough of an irrational threat to keep harassing me even though he knew of my requests to stop that i could probably have gotten a restraining order. Good times.
That’s bonkers!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:

You can leave the church, but you cannot be left alone.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Dang! That’s quite a list of resources.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 am
Dang! That’s quite a list of resources.
Great for doxxing
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:44 pm
:lol: They are shameless! here's another avenue i read on the Mormon reddit:
received a letter decades after i stopped attending lds church, it was from a person who knew me years ago in my ward. i kid you not, she wrote in the letter:

'bishop passed around a list of people requesting no contact, and asked people to contact them. i saw your name on the no contact list and told the bishop i'd be happy to contact you.'
:roll:
This helps us fathom how Daniel C. Peterson can tell the Jews to shut the f*Celestial Kingdom up about our baptizing you for the dead. And his overall attitude being, you Jews have no friends, and we are your friends for turning you into post life Mormons, now lump it and enjoy the celestial kingdom you friendless priesthoodless people. Our Mormonism is vastly superior to your mere Judaism, you WILL thank us later. Perhaps we shall allow you to untie our shoe laces if it strikes us as worthy.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:

Oh that would be SO FUN if that happened to me! Oh the glorious joy and pleasures I would have in harassing him right back. I would give him and his family members through mail or in person all kinds of information showing the church is false. I would relentlessly arm for war and give it to him the likes of which he could not fathom, and I would do it for the rest of my life, even after he cried and begged "UNCLE!" Oh that would be so blasted much fun to do with such an arrogant prick. Stupid stuck up, arrogant priesthood f*Celestial Kingdom, I would demonstrate he pulled the authority card on precisely the WRONG PERSON. I would BEG him to send Home Teachers, Visiting Teachers, missionaries, those kids who collect fast offerings. Oh the fun one could have with such an one who imagines his authoritah trumps personal courtesy and requests. I would attack his religion and attitude and authority in writing that would absolutely overwhelm him. I would call him on the phone DAILY at ALL TIMES to share new information I had learned and thought about. I would mercilessly cause him to know he started the war, now he has to live with it. I would blitzkrieg for decades against everything he held dear and believed. CES Letter would be child's play to what I would give him to read or tell him about.
I would even send him to Radio Free Mormon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it is one thing that boils my blood it is this arrogance of authority which gets my goat the worse! Bar nothing else, this is the heinous evil I detest the most in Mormon Priesthood leaders. As you can tell... :D