Deaths from Psychedelics, Taking things too personal, and Spiritual revelation is not important. I'm done!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Deaths from Psychedelics, Taking things too personal, and Spiritual revelation is not important. I'm done!

Post by doubtingthomas »

"Professor, I think people should do acid"

DanielPeterson: Many of my high school friends in California would have agreed with you, were they not dead.
Nice storytelling! What are the odds?
"There are some atheists who started to believe in Bigfoot after reading "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science", a book written by one of your friends."

DanielPeterson: Are there? That's nice. You're talking, I believe, about a professor at a state university outside of Utah whom I met once (I think) about twenty-five years ago. It seems an irrelevant and rather misguided attempt at a personal jab. Is the mask falling off so badly?
"It [spiritual revelation] should be the most important topic. Wouldn't you agree?"

DanielPeterson: Not necessarily[/b]
Peterson is like 80 years old, he won't change. I'm done wasting my time with him.

I doubt he gets a lot of likes in this conversation
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
drumdude
God

Re: Deaths from Psychedelics, Taking things too personal, and Spiritual revelation is not important [deleted]. I'm done!

Post by drumdude »

You would get more intellectually stimulating conversation by talking to a brick wall than talking to DCP.
huckelberry
God

Re: Deaths from Psychedelics, Taking things too personal, and Spiritual revelation is not important [deleted]. I'm done!

Post by huckelberry »

I see no reason to think Peterson is saying he knew people killed by taking psychedelics. He does imply that he knew people who got involved in a variety of risky behaviors leading to poor health or early death. Well it is possible they just happen to have died already that does happen to people.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:20 pm
I see no reason to think Peterson is saying he knew people killed by taking psychedelics. He does imply that he knew people who got involved in a variety of risky behaviors leading to poor health or early death.
Do you have any stats showing a correlation between psychedelics and risky behavior?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 am
huckelberry wrote:
I see no reason to think Peterson is saying he knew people killed by taking psychedelics. He does imply that he knew people who got involved in a variety of risky behaviors leading to poor health or early death.
Do you have any stats showing a correlation between psychedelics and risky behavior?
Anciently it was called holy mania, and for a reason... the emphasis is on holy.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 am
huckelberry wrote:
why would I have any interest in that?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:17 am
If you can demonstrate that there is a correlation between psychedelics and risky behavior, then it would mean that Peterson was probably telling the truth.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:40 am
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:17 am
if you can demonstrate that there is a correlation between psychedelics and risky behavior, then it would mean that Peterson was probably telling the truth.
doubtingthomas,
I do not think there is any way that Peterson would know who everybody in his high school was who experienced lsd. He would not actually know how many of them are still alive. Given his age of 69 I am sure that some of them would still be alive, and some dead.Peterson's statement would be based upon the limited sample of people he knew then and has to be completely anecdotal.

My first comment was directed solely toward the title of the thread indicating Peterson claimed LSD caused deaths. I do not think that is what Peterson said. I think Peterson was dismissing a claim for LSD value with a colorful way of saying that he has not seen good come of it.

I did wonder how a person could approach the subject statistically. People pursuing risky behavior are more likely to try LSD than people who carefully avoid risky behavior. But there could be some cautious people who dropped acid as well. Is there any meaning to the difference? I do not see a good way to measure that or gather data.

Of people I know who have taken LSD some are alive some are not. I know LSD did not kill any of them. Generally people have become more cautious about its value than they were in the first blush of being experienced.
Moksha
God

Re: Deaths from Psychedelics, Taking things too personal, and Spiritual revelation is not important. I'm done!

Post by Moksha »

Perhaps Dr. Peterson read about conservation efforts from the future involving sturdy marine aquariums fueled by LDS. Right now he is trying to enunciate clearly into his mouse.
Given his age of 69 I am sure that some of them would still be alive...
The Age of Aquarius has not yet passed, at least for those not claimed by the demon psychedelics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
toon
CTR B

Re: Deaths from Psychedelics, Taking things too personal, and Spiritual revelation is not important. I'm done!

Post by toon »

I think it would be a safe bet that DP does not know a single person much less from high school who died from taking any psychedelic substance. He may know people who have taken psychedelics and who have since passed, but that's a different thing. That he draws a connection between the two, even if he's exaggerating to make some point, betrays his ignorance. He may have watched one too many ABC after school tv movies when growing up.