the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by Gadianton »

right, like from Trump's perspective, he won the election. more like, it's (legally) plausible that from Trump's perspective, he won the election.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:17 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:11 pm

I don't understand why believers are shy to share spiritual experiences. Aren't christians commanded to? Wouldn't it help to convert people? Or are they really deep down ashamed because they know it is ridiculous?
Peterson knows damn well it's ridiculous. Look what he said,

"How do you know your spiritual experiences are not the result of some cognitive bias?"

We all have cognitive biases -- you and I and everyone else -- on all sorts of issues. Ideally, we try to correct for them, we try to be intellectually honest and balanced, and so forth. There's no magic bullet, no simple formula
He dodged the question by saying there's no simple formula.
I know of no commandment to share my personal spiritual experience. The closest I can think of is to share what the basis of your hope is. The basis of that hope ( the one being referred to) is the life death and resurrection of Jesus. That story is shared quite broadly. My being inspired in prayer last Thursday is of no consequence to you and in fact is not really your business. The request for personal experience is ridiculous.It is not possible for such sharing to mean anything, you got to walk that path yourself.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:11 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:17 pm

Peterson knows damn well it's ridiculous. Look what he said,

He dodged the question by saying there's no simple formula.
I know of no commandment to share my personal spiritual experience. The closest I can think of is to share what the basis of your hope is. The basis of that hope ( the one being referred to) is the life death and resurrection of Jesus. That story is shared quite broadly. My being inspired in prayer last Thursday is of no consequence to you and in fact is not really your business. The request for personal experience is ridiculous.It is not possible for such sharing to mean anything, you got to walk that path yourself.
All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.

Get to sharing, bro.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doc, I just did.

and that picture is religious trash.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

At Bonneville Communications, our ability to touch the hearts and minds of audiences makes us an essential resource for organizations with vital messages.

For more than 30 years, our creative professionals have designed public service and direct response messages for national nonprofit organizations such as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Our unique strength is the ability to touch the hearts and minds of our audiences, evoking first feeling, then thought and, finally, action. We call this uniquely powerful brand of creative "HeartSell"® - strategic emotional advertising that stimulates response.
He probably doesn’t want to admit that the source of his belief is potentially the result of the efforts of very successful multinational advertising corporations.

The same guys selling cigarettes in the 1950s.
GiordanoBruno
Nursery

Post by GiordanoBruno »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:29 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:27 pm
When I click the link I get the title page blocked by a square asking me to input my email address and get constant updates. I don't think so. I would have to be pretty bored to wish to read Midgley complaints, But here I am reading Marcus complaint about Midgley complaint. So here we are on the got bored and had to talk about Peterson again board.
screen shot of what you would have seen:

and the text (bolding in orginal):
Louis Midgley wrote:All those many years ago, when my wife and I returned from our wonderful missionary endeavors in New Zealand--well, actually in Auckland, except when we travelled, which we did, when the universities in Auckland were closed in the summer, we were jolted to see the huge number of very expensive home being built and also occupied when we made the trip from the Airport in SLC to Edgemont at the north end of Provo.

Then we made contact with a couple who had been assisting at a center on the west side of SLC. The building, now being used by the Church of Jesus Christ to gather needed provisions for emergencies, was once used to manufacture bullets, or rounds, or whatever the proper terminology is that were used during WW II. It occupies a city block. It cost our government many millions of dollars to construct that thing. There is a solid essay on that venture by Tom Alexander and Leonard Arrington entitled "Utah's Small Arms Ammunition Plant during World War Two," Pacific Historical Quarterly 34/2 (1965): 185-196.

This building how is used by the Church of Jesus Christ for welfare endeavors. It now employs people who really need an income and at least one really good meal a day. That huge building has now been transformed into a place where truly wonderful things take place. Those folks prepare all kinds of items that the Church of Jesus Christ then sends to those in dire need as a result of some event somewhere in the world. Every other day those people are also taught English as part of their employment. And no one asks if they are members of the Church of Jesus Christ.

This wonderful experience took some of the sting out of seeing all those huge fancy homes we could not avoid observing that day late in November 2000 when we returned from those two wonderful years in New Zealand.

I wonder what those folks on the Peterson Hate Board will now have to say about this comment, since I am told that they pounce on every comment looking for something to justify their own apostasy.
My "pounce" will be a simple image, taken from 'Together' magazine circa 1962.

Funny you mention his return from the wonderful mission in New Zealand. When he got home and found in Dialogue my friend Glen's critique of his disparagement of Fawn Brodie, he was reportedly befuddled that a student from 1980 had it in for him.

Here is the essay:
https://www.dialoguejournal.com/article ... ay-brodie/
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:14 pm
I would like to see Dan refrain from using insulting references to this board, as he agreed. Phrases such as “sewer,” “swamp,” “hate board,” “Peterson Obsession Board,” and “scumbag central” obviously, OBVIOUSLY, fall under the agreed to behavior. As do other similar tokens of insult, which he is so capable of wordsmithing.

I would like to see Dan convincingly ask his regulars to help him with keeping his promise. And I would like to see Dan moderate (ie remove) the insulting comments about this board made by his guests, especially his regular guests like Midgley, McGregor, Ideeho - he knows who they are and the will listen if he asks sincerely. Now, going forward, and also for the DOZENS of violating example posts which have been posted by me and others.

Until then, say whatever, but Dan is lying to himself and others if he claims to be keeping his agreement with me. It’s just lying, pretending, bad faith lying.
But it is faithful and true to "true" Mormonism and testimony... He can't repent if he has not sinned, and he has not sinned (e.g., done any wrong in any way) because he belongs to the true church... that appears to me to be his thinking, so it's a losing proposition asking him to change, when he already lives in his celestial underwear and thinks and types and post celestial plagiarisms posts of quality testimony building information.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:20 am
.... and thinks and types and post celestial plagiarisms posts of quality testimony building information.
:lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

GiordanoBruno
Funny you mention his return from the wonderful mission in New Zealand. When he got home and found in Dialogue my friend Glen's critique of his disparagement of Fawn Brodie, he was reportedly befuddled that a student from 1980 had it in for him.

Here is the essay:
https://www.dialoguejournal.com/article ... ay-brodie/
What a proud and glorious moment for a professor to have a student of his man handle and demonstrate the idiotic bias and obvious scholarly posturing of a want to be scholar! Oh you had to have had this essay framed on your office wall!!! Thank you for that link! Stellar read! This is the single best take down of the idiot I have ever read, bar none. Just superbly delicious against a Mormon hack, priesthood holding name calling phony dolt.
And Midgley wonders why everyone is out to get him? :lol:
Perhaps it is because you are such an arrogant ass, a pontificating puss, a mean spirited name calling patriarchal hypocrite Lou. And you lamely imagine Mormonism gives you the right to have that self righteous priggish judgmental approach to anyone who thinks differently than you do. You pretend to being righteous and following the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and you are blitheringly out of the mental capacity to recognize you have no idea what that Gospel actually is. For all the world, you appear as a spiritual midget, a small minded twit, a lover of insults and disparaging of all others not Mormon, and especial venality against atheists, whom you go out of your way to not actually understand in any way. You're just a hack Lou, a mouthy hack doing hatchet jobs on scholarship and truth. And you fool no one who uses their brains to check on your claims. Gee, may I share a quarter with you so you can buy a clue you bumbling, blubbering ignoramus?
Last edited by Philo Sofee on Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, Midgley apologized for, or at least corrected, his remarks about Brodie’s scholarship on Jefferson, right?

*cough*

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.