Nelson: “Don’t pollute [your testimony] with the false philosophies of unbelieving men and women…”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Nelson: “Don’t pollute [your testimony] with the false philosophies of unbelieving men and women…”

Post by Dr Moore »

More bolting the door on unapproved sources. Trying to keep kids and young adults living in fear of reading the CES Letter, or for that matter fully pursuing the footnotes in church essays. Information control a telltale cultish attribute. So glad my kids won’t be subjected to this fear mongering. OMG, research! An earnest search for truth, wherever it may be, should not be source-constrained.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/2022/8/1/ ... ung-adults
drumdude
God

Re: Nelson: “Don’t pollute [your testimony] with the false philosophies of unbelieving men and women…”

Post by drumdude »

It will do incredible damage to young people, telling them that they need to isolate themselves from the secular world.

It’s one thing to tell young people to pray. It’s another thing to tell them to stay away from anyone different from them who might expose them to challenging thoughts and ideas. It will turn bright young Mormons into sad scared rubes.

It’s a great way to continue the brain drain within your religion.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Nelson: “Don’t pollute [your testimony] with the false philosophies of unbelieving men and women…”

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:48 pm
More bolting the door on unapproved sources. Trying to keep kids and young adults living in fear of reading the CES Letter, or for that matter fully pursuing the footnotes in church essays. Information control a telltale cultish attribute. So glad my kids won’t be subjected to this fear mongering. OMG, research! An earnest search for truth, wherever it may be, should not be source-constrained.

Again, this demonstrates with perfect evidence Mormon leaders do not give a fig about truth, they want you to believe in things a certain way, and that way is their way. This is a nigh superb example of brainwashing in the process. And they wonder why so many view them as a cult. a brainwashing cult. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

“Nourish yourself in the words of ancient and modern prophets."

He does not want to go there!
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 am
“Nourish yourself in the words of ancient and modern prophets."

He does not want to go there!
LOL, it's just their opinions, so why not nourish yourself in words of wise women and men from the ancient and modern world instead of their own biased Mormon selected people? Of course, we all know that answer already. Mormons don't want you to be educated within the church, they want you to be obedient believers. Mormonism is not about the truth, at least not today's Mormonism. It has apostatized from Joseph Smith.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Dr Moore wrote:

There is no Nelson but Nelson and Nelson is His prophet, begotten not made, consubstantial with the Nelson, who sings of the Nelson and the Nelson and the Holy Nelson, and by the Nelson is adored and glorifed, he came down from the Nelson for us men and for our salvation ad majorem Nelson gloriam.
Last edited by Gabriel on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:

I would like to hear or read the entire talk. I am no fan of Nelson, but I doubt that he really expects everyone to limit their study of the world to LDS sources alone.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dr Moore wrote:

What about the false philosophies of believing men and women?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:46 pm
Dr Moore wrote:

What about the false philosophies of believing men and women?
Exactly. They love to fault philosophy when that is not the problem, but the very actual solution. But leaders lump all of it together imagining it is the enemy of revelation (theirs specifically) when it actually isn't. And they are unfortunately entirely clueless about that. Philosophy is not the enemy, ignorance is.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:39 am
Dr Moore wrote:

I would like to hear or read the entire talk. I am no fan of Nelson, but I doubt that he really expects everyone to limit their study of the world to LDS sources alone.
I didn’t see a transcript, but here’s a link to the talk. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.