America First

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Themis
Elder

Re: America First

Post by Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:43 pm
canpakes wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:55 pm
Agreed on Bout. There should be a better option for the trade.
Me too. Maybe some future draft picks….
LOL Maybe there are better options, but probably not by much. The reality is we probably don't have anyone wrongfully imprisoned that the Russians want, so it will most likely always be some very bad people. Maybe not having to pay to house this guy in a US prison is not a horrible thing. I doubt he will be able to move around the world like he did with the prospect of being picked up again. I suspect we would have to look at the possible consequences of having him back in Russia. I think part of the problem is many don't seem to like Griner based on politics, racism, dislike of lesbians, etc.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:46 pm
Why would Britney Griner want to come back to such a racist, patriarchal, homophobic, country like the US?
You're right, the country does seem FUed, but you have to understand that this is her home and even if Trump supporters are squatting in it much like a bunch of whacked-out boll weevils, she wants her home.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Themis wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:42 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:43 pm

Me too. Maybe some future draft picks….
LOL Maybe there are better options, but probably not by much. The reality is we probably don't have anyone wrongfully imprisoned that the Russians want, so it will most likely always be some very bad people. Maybe not having to pay to house this guy in a US prison is not a horrible thing. I doubt he will be able to move around the world like he did with the prospect of being picked up again. I suspect we would have to look at the possible consequences of having him back in Russia. I think part of the problem is many don't seem to like Griner based on politics, racism, dislike of lesbians, etc.
I don't know. I have mixed feelings. I went to the former Soviet Union just before Reagan went to Moscow. We were warned in great detail about not bringing contraband into the country, as well as contraband that was illegal to purchase while we were there. Still, we were almost turned back at the Finland-USSR border because one member of the group had took it upon themself to smuggle in a bunch of Bibles. Another member was detained by Moscow police for trying to purchase a USSR flag from a black market seller. I have nothing against Griner other than that she was stupid not to know what she could and could not bring into Russia.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:11 am

I don't know. I have mixed feelings. I went to the former Soviet Union just before Reagan went to Moscow. We were warned in great detail about not bringing contraband into the country, as well as contraband that was illegal to purchase while we were there. Still, we were almost turned back at the Finland-USSR border because one member of the group had took it upon themself to smuggle in a bunch of Bibles. Another member was detained by Moscow police for trying to purchase a USSR flag from a black market seller. I have nothing against Griner other than that she was stupid not to know what she could and could not bring into Russia.
From what I can tell it was an honest mistake, which happens all the time given how many people are traveling, but a year ago we would probably not be hearing this story. Her bigger mistake was timing, and I think she represents some of the things Russian leaders don't like, so she is being used as a pawn in their political games. She makes a good pawn because she also represents those same things many Americans don't like, which can help to divide Russia's enemies.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

You're right, the country does seem FUed, but you have to understand that this is her home and even if Trump supporters are squatting in it much like a bunch of whacked-out boll weevils, she wants her home.
Makes sense. Well let's see if the left takes care of its own.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

I think part of the problem is many don't seem to like Griner based on politics, racism, dislike of lesbians, etc.
Why is that a problem? People who dislike Griner have no say in whether we trade a dangerous Russian criminal for her or not.

LIberals in our own government use the justice department to do very similar things to conservatives because they don't like our politics.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:59 pm
LIberals in our own government use the justice department to do very similar things to conservatives because they don't like our politics.
While I'm sure it happens to some extent on both sides, I can't think of many big ones like Trump going after Hillary.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:52 pm
Makes sense. Well let's see if the left takes care of its own.
Projection. -_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

While I'm sure it happens to some extent on both sides, I can't think of many big ones like Trump going after Hillary.
Republicans don't control the deep state like Democrats do. It would take a long time of Democrats losing elections to get back to a single tiered justice system. Right now there is a different standard of justice based on political affiliation. Part of the civil rights movement was against the right to exclude blacks from restaurants. But it's perfectly fine to exclude Republicans from restaurants. DIscrimination based upon race is viewed as the most heinous of sins but discrimination based upon how you voted or your political opinion is increasing.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:45 pm
Republicans don't control the deep state like Democrats do. It would take a long time of Democrats losing elections to get back to a single tiered justice system. Right now there is a different standard of justice based on political affiliation. Part of the civil rights movement was against the right to exclude blacks from restaurants. But it's perfectly fine to exclude Republicans from restaurants. DIscrimination based upon race is viewed as the most heinous of sins but discrimination based upon how you voted or your political opinion is increasing.
Oh look, the guy who insists he's no longer a Nazi is still making everything about race. It's almost as if I were right all along huh?

In reality the closest thing to a "Deep State" is evident by Trump making an unprecedented move by elevating a secret serviceman to a political position when they're supposed to be independent and loyal to the Constitution instead of a President. The result is hundreds of texts strategically deleted among the secret service which is entirely illegal and corrupt and it just doesn't get more "deep state" than that with an attempted coup. This is precisely what they were accusing Hillary of doing and had absolute conniption fits about it. Imagine if there were deleted texts between government officials discussing Hunter Biden's laptop!
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18