2022 Fair Conference is steaming now

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: 2022 Fair Conference is steaming now

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:46 pm
I listened to Gary Lawrence's mystifying presentation on "How Comfortable Conversations About the Gift of Agency Lead to Interest in the Gospel." (Incidentally, oddly enough, "Peter Pan" himself was sitting next to me during the presentation.)
Well, don't leave us hanging, Tom! Was it an African American man from Alabama? Or was it Stephen Smoot?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:21 pm
Tom wrote:
I listened to Gary Lawrence's mystifying presentation on "How Comfortable Conversations About the Gift of Agency Lead to Interest in the Gospel." (Incidentally, oddly enough, "Peter Pan" himself was sitting next to me during the presentation.)
Well, don't leave us hanging, Tom! Was it an African American man from Alabama? Or was it Stephen Smoot?
Seconded
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:25 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Seconded
Thirded
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Chunky or smooth?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 am
Chunky or smooth?
:lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tom wrote:
(Incidentally, oddly enough, "Peter Pan" himself was sitting next to me during the presentation.)
Also, was Kwaku present to serve as Wendy?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:43 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Also, was Kwaku present to serve as Wendy?
You’ll have to explain that joke, because huh?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:13 pm
You’ll have to explain that joke, because huh?

- Doc
I hate to explain jokes, but here are the relevant parts: Pan and Wendy are characters linked in the story of Peter Pan. Stephen Smoot and Kwaku are characters linked in the never-ending saga of BYU apologetics. Dr. Scratch had just asked if the character Tom referred to was Smoot. I added Wendy and Kwaku to the mix.

Question: What do Wendy, Sheri Dew, and Kwaku have in common?
Answer: A firm commitment to the Gospel and not Stephen Smoot.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Did anyone catch the presentation yesterday by Cassandra Hedelius titled "Compassion and Evidence: The Wisdom of Church Guidelines for Transgender Individuals and Their Families"?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I caught Dr. Peterson’s presentation. There were some technical difficulties. (I feel sorry for Tom Pittman, who seems to be working a second job as an unpaid tech fall guy for every presentation by Dr. Peterson.) He made several references to comments made here about Witnesses and the new film, Six Days in August: The Story of Nauvoo Syndrome (without naming the board, of course).

Dr. Peterson talked about the decision to produce a film on the succession crisis. At first, he had some doubts about whether that was an important enough issue.
But I began to hear people saying things like… well, one returned mission president—this was something relayed to me by someone who heard him say, “You know, my wife and I have concluded that Brigham Young was not really the Lord’s choice.” And so I guess he means by that that the Twelve weren’t the Lord’s choice. And then I think, Think of the implications of this: every president of the church, and including Brigham Young, has functioned by apostolic authority. Every temple that we have was dedicated by virtue of apostolic authority. Every ordinance in the church is performed by virtue of authority transmitted through Brigham Young and the Twelve. Every baptism, every ordination, every marriage—you’re really wanting to say they’re all invalid? I mean, think of the implications of this.
There is a possibility that the new film will demonize James Strang.
I’ve said that I don’t want to demonize Sidney Rigdon. I’m ambivalent about James Jesse Strang. I’m wondering if Pee Wee Herman is still available to play the role. I have to confess, I’ve tried to view Strang as sympathetically as I can, but I really can’t do it very well.
That view is evident in his anti-Strangite writings.

He noted that the preliminary script is about 80 pages done.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857