Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:35 pm

OK MG.....
Let me jump in here, as someone who commented that KS seems to be a virtual clone of MG.

I'm not going back on that comment, in that I see a lot of the same behaviours in the two of them - I enumerated (or bulleted :lol: ) them a few pages back.

However, I do not believe that they are one and the same in real life person - and I say that as probably one of the few posters on the board who has actually met MG. He, my wife, and I spent an interesting 30 minutes or so chatting in a mall parking lot off I-15 about 7 years ago.
Orhers of us also know who he is in real life, and i think you are correct. Someone else has just figured out his strategies, and they've decided to mimic him.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 am
Why are posters here so convinced I'm MG? I've heard of MG, and maybe read two or three of his posts, but I'm not him.
Perhaps you and MG are one flesh?

You know, like when coffee meets bagel.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:46 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:45 pm
Dr. Shades, in one sense there is no need; I can't prove that anyone is going to suffer and die because humans are no longer around.
What does that nonsense statement have to do with anything?
Doc, I was trying to agree with you. You seemed to be implying that humans don't need to persist forever, and I was trying to tell you that in one sense they don't need to persist forever.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:You can literally prove, right now, that humans cause other humans and other things to suffer and die because we’re here. A Russian soldier just castrated a Ukrainian POW, on video, and posted it. The identified Russian soldier has been mutilating Ukrainians (snipping off extremities) any time he could get his hands on one. In fact, it’s suspected this soldier has been doing this in prior conflicts where he’s been assigned.
Yes, so that Russian soldier's victims needed him not to exist, not to exist. There are people who nobody's conscience requires them to exist.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Humans will never alleviate existential suffering, but we sure as heack are going to be the cause of much of it.
I agree that we surely are going to be the cause of much of it. How do you know that humans "will never alleviate existential suffering"?
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
But in another sense I think humans have a need to make a difference in the universe, in the short term and the long term.
“Make a difference.” What does that even mean?
Have an effect that persists.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
And there's also the matter of conscience. I think humans need to satisfy their consciences, and their consciences can't ignore the generation of real people, with hopes and dreams like you and I have, whose hopes and dreams are not going to be fulfilled because we chose to not work towards them
Future humans are a direct and indirect result of actions taken by everything on and off this earth. What does ‘we should make a better world for our kids’ have to do with anything that you’ve claimed on this thread with regard to atheists creating a god for themselves?
I don't think it is a "better world for our kids" if we just leave them one generation closer to the extinction of the human race. If we really want to make the world a better place for our kids, then we'll make it a better place for the people they care about, which includes their kids. The idea is recursive, so you have to end up working towards the welfare of all your descendants, and only God can show you how to do that.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:See? This is the B.S. you do, MG.
I'm not MG, Doc.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:You’ve done this for twenty years, and you’ll do this until you’re dead.
I'm still not MG, so I haven't done anything with this forum for the last twenty years.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:09 pm
Yeah, “not MG” is simply trolling. He’ll not answer something, wait until ten pages goes by, and then resurrect the issue with a question and claim/assertion that he did x or y, which is nonsense. He’s not a serious person, and he’s totally not MG even though he posts exactly like MG. I dunno. Maybe MG Jr. heard the call and is following in Dad’s digital footsteps. *shrugs*

- Doc
-_-
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:07 am
malkie wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 am

Let me jump in here, as someone who commented that KS seems to be a virtual clone of MG.

I'm not going back on that comment, in that I see a lot of the same behaviours in the two of them - I enumerated (or bulleted :lol: ) them a few pages back.

However, I do not believe that they are one and the same in real life person - and I say that as probably one of the few posters on the board who has actually met MG. He, my wife, and I spent an interesting 30 minutes or so chatting in a mall parking lot off I-15 about 7 years ago.
Orhers of us also know who he is in real life, and i think you are correct. Someone else has just figured out his strategies, and they've decided to mimic him.
For you to be sure you’d have to have also met KevinSim in real life. I suspect you have…has MG2.0 ever interacted with KevinSim on this board (or the previous one)? I’m guessing not.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:00 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:07 am
For you to be sure you’d have to have also met KevinSim in real life. I suspect you have…has MG2.0 ever interacted with KevinSim on this board (or the previous one)? I’m guessing not.
Of course. Note that I'm saying only that I don't believe that they are the same in real life person.

Let's try this: KevinSim, have you and I met in real life? And at that time did you go by the handle of Mental Gymnast, now known as MG2.0?

For all that I'm rather less sympathetic to MG than I was several years ago, I do not think that, if he really is KS, he would outright lie to me in public like this by denying it.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:23 pm
I don't see the similarities either. Both have very different theologies. Both speak with different voices. Their argument style isn't similar. The only significant thing I see that they have in common is that they appear to have raised the ire of the same community members.
Res Ipsa, thank you for the good analysis. I am indeed not MG. I'm trying to figure out what I did to raise that ire, so I can keep from doing it in the future. I did quote one sentence from a poster that indicated I had missed a message sent me from God, and failed to quote the line before that stated the whole thing was hypothetical; I've already apologized for that. And in another post I didn't realize that up arrows were actually links to previous posts. Was there anything more than those two items?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:33 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:23 pm
I don't see the similarities either. Both have very different theologies. Both speak with different voices. Their argument style isn't similar. The only significant thing I see that they have in common is that they appear to have raised the ire of the same community members.
Res Ipsa, thank you for the good analysis. I am indeed not MG. I'm trying to figure out what I did to raise that ire, so I can keep from doing it in the future. I did quote one sentence from a poster that indicated I had missed a message sent me from God, and failed to quote the line before that stated the whole thing was hypothetical; I've already apologized for that. And in another post I didn't realize that up arrows were actually links to previous posts. Was there anything more than those two items?
Some free advice that is worth every penny: focus on the topic under discussion and don’t get dragged into these kind of issues. Just express your ideas and don’t get all tangled up in how you express them. When someone misinterprets something you say, stop asking them questions like “where did I say that” or “why do you think I think that.” Just correct them by telling them what you actually say or mean. I am interested in trying to understand some things you have said. I have no interest in discussing why Doc thinks you’re MG or why Marcus criticizes you. You said a couple of things that caught my attention that I think would be interesting to discuss. But you keep talking about the discussion. Or the discussion about the discussion. I’d rather discuss the substance.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:20 pm
I have no interest in discussing why Doc thinks you’re MG
Doc is doing what many church apologists do, it's called patternicity.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:47 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:07 am
No!
I hope it never happens. But if it does, I'm sure God later blesses you with a beautiful young woman.
I'm not really interested in younger women. Over the course of my life the three women I've fallen in love with have all been older than me, eight months, 3.5 years, and three months respectively.