Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by doubtingthomas »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:52 pm

I'm not really interested in younger women. Over the course of my life the three women I've fallen in love with have all been older than me, eight months, 3.5 years, and three months respectively.
I see, but I'm sure God will bless you with a woman who is more beautiful.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:57 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:20 pm
When someone misinterprets something you say, stop asking them questions like “where did I say that” or “why do you think I think that.” Just correct them by telling them what you actually say or mean.
Kevin Sim, that actually doesn’t work so well. The crowd will still see what they want to see and disregard the rest.

Regards,
MG
Your church covers up sexual abuse. It’s a false ideology and a ‘false’ organization. Will you still see what you want to see and disregard the rest?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:07 pm

I have no idea. Do you think it is God talking to you?
I'm not sure. What does the Holy Ghost feel like?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:57 pm

Kevin Sim, that actually doesn’t work so well. The crowd will still see what they want to see and disregard the rest.

Regards,
MG
What do you and KevinSim see in each other?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:58 pm
Marcus, how do you know I feigned ignorance, and wasn't instead just outright ignorant?
:D You are absolutely correct. I do not know with any certainty that you are not "just outright ignorant."
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:09 pm
You can count on me not lying to you either privately or in public. I have never lied to you or anyone else on this board.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:35 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:00 am
I'm not as worried about universal heat death, which we're aware of, as I am about all the other species survival threatening crises before then, that we're not aware of. We're not doing all that well with climate change right now. As a species we keep putting the metaphorical revolver to our head, spinning the chambers, and pulling the trigger. One of these times the gun is going to go off.
I agree, but I don’t see what that has to do with the existence of your God.
That's because it has nothing to do with the current existence of God. In this subthread I am not trying to prove the current existence of God. I'm trying to show why humanity needs someone who knows how to stop playing the mentioned metaphorical Russian Roulette, and I call that someone God. I'm not arguing that that someone exists; I'm simply saying that humanity needs that someone to exist.
Res Ipsa wrote:And I don’t understand why you think I have some special duty to some future generation that I literally know nothing about as opposed to the next generation after mine.
Res Ipsa, I find it hard to believe you feel a duty to the next generation but not the generation after that. You care about the second generation (after you) because the first generation (after you) cares about them, and because you care about that first generation. And the process is recursive. We owe the next generation a better world than we have, or at least one that is not worse. Have we really filled that debt if the next generation is just one generation closer to the extinction of the species?
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:09 pm

You can count on me not lying to you either privately or in public. I have never lied to you or anyone else on this board.

Interchange between someone-who-has-never-lied-to-anyone-on-this-board and yours truly. It's worth scanning. Actually, the entire thread is worth reading.

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:09 pm
For your benefit let me repost one of the links that you may have failed to read all the way through.

https://archive.bookofmormoncentral.org/node/111

Morley wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:46 am
From MG's link to a paper that he, himself, has not read:
clip
MG, you are disingenuous at best.

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:49 pm
You are correct in saying that I did not read every link that was posted in the list of footnotes that I linked to. But I DID read the paper that I asked you to read in its entirety. Apparently you didn’t.

Morley wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:47 pm
My issue is with you and the methods you employ to defend your religion. You seem to think it's okay (and even laudable) to lie and be disingenuous in the defense of your arguments and what you see as your faith. That's pretty low.

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:30 pm
I went back and read my posts. You’re right. I did say that I had read the complete article I was asking you to read in its entirety. That was wrong. I apologize. And what’s even worse, I had to go back to see that I had said what you said I said. I didn’t remember having said that. Not a very good way to establish credibility.

MG 2.0: Am I misrepresenting anything, here?

edit: On another topic. For what it's worth, MG isn't Kevin. To think so is to do a disservice to both of them.
Last edited by Morley on Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:11 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:58 pm
IHAQ, I never said failing to produce God validates my position that God exists
That’s exactly what you said.
IHAQ, having recently discovered that I can use up arrows to follow links to previous posts, I followed those links back three times, and could not find the post where I said failing to produce God validates my position that God exists. Could you please give me a link to the post where I exactly said that?
IHAQ wrote:
You're right that I am a believer. Why does that mean that the onus is on me?
Because you’re the one making the claim God exists and He talked to you.
And therefore I should produce God? Would it be enough if I explained why I believe God exists, and why I believe that God talked to me?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:11 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:26 am
IHAQ, when have I ever said anything about "lazy learners" or wanting atheists to prove God doesn't exist?
On this very thread.
IHAQ, this thread consists of 38 pages of posts. Do you think you could narrow the two statements' locations down a little better than saying they are on "this very thread"?