Alt-Right Style of Arguing* (name change)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Alt-Right Style of Arguing* (name change)

Post by Some Schmo »

Manetho's link about the alt-right led me down another YouTube rabbit hole. There are some really great videos in "The Alt-Right Playbook" series but this one called "The Card Says Moops" seems to really nail why most people who defend right-wing talking points seem like liars to me.

People like ajax don't really believe their crap; they're just throwing it at the wall to try to win arguments (winning the argument to them is getting the other person to stop talking). One of the most salient points the video makes is that you never know the true beliefs of these types of people, because if they actually told you, it would restrict their freedom to argue whatever they need to in the future to win a different argument (well, convince themselves they won, anyway). Of course, it's not really them winning the argument; it's the other person realizing they're arguing with someone who can't argue in good faith. Why argue with someone who's clearly just arguing for argument's sake? They aren't trying to win; they're trying to irritate people away from them in order to give them the illusion they won.

My main takeaway from this is that I was dumb to argue with him and got smarter the moment I stopped. His lack of sincerity and consistency was a dead giveaway that he doesn't mean what he says. Ignoring this type of interlocuter is the only solution. I don't mind letting them think they beat me. It's a small price to pay to not have to listen to damned nonsense. It's like loaning someone $20, knowing they'll never pay you back, because you never want to see them again. They gained $20, and you gained never having to hear from them again. What a bargain!
Last edited by Some Schmo on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Best ajax explanation I've heard so far

Post by Binger »

So. What is the motivation behind the posts directed at ajax? Or better, behind this post about ajax?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Here's another one that totally explains why our trolls here never answer questions and constantly rely on whataboutism/change the subject.

Deciding to ignore them seems wiser with every passing day.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:13 pm
Here's another one that totally explains why our trolls here never answer questions and constantly rely on whataboutism/change the subject.

Deciding to ignore them seems wiser with every passing day.

Do you answer the questions that you constantly ignore?

This meltdown is epic. Schmo, would you like some help filtering out thought and dissent?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:57 pm
So. What is the motivation behind the posts directed at ajax? Or better, behind this post about ajax?
I’m not a fan of callout threads, so I won’t speak for Schmo. But, you’re probably the best person to answer this sort of question, given that you’ve authored some 30 or 40 threads yourself, calling out other board participants. You hold the record by far.

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:28 pm

This meltdown is epic. Schmo, would you like some help filtering out thought and dissent?
I think that I see some serious projection coming from you on that one. ; )
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:57 pm
I’m not a fan of callout threads, so I won’t speak for Schmo. But, you’re probably the best person to answer this sort of question, given that you’ve authored some 30 or 40 threads yourself, calling out other board participants. You hold the record by far.

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:28 pm

Oh. I see. You see projection which is the point I making, snail.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:46 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: in other words, this is your version of a cry for help, binger?!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Nope. That excuse is too tired given that there was never reason to spam the board for over half-a-year and start 40 or so threads screaming obscenities at random folks.

You’ll always be our champion of both crap behavior and projection, no matter how much of that junk you try to erase later.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:00 pm
Binger wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: in other words, this is your version of a cry for help, binger?!
No. It was nothing of the sort.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:03 pm
Binger wrote:

Nope. That excuse is too tired given that there was never reason to spam the board for over half-a-year and start 40 or so threads screaming obscenities at random folks.

You’ll always be our champion of both crap behavior and projection, no matter how much of that junk you try to erase later.
So you were projecting.

I am the champion, again?