How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:52 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:31 pm
There are so many paths towards enlightenment and perfection. Mormonism teaches that we reach perfection within a sphere unique to ourselves...
Could you please provide a source for that teaching?
I am different than my neighbor. They are different from their neighbor. But we each repent and grow within the confines and/or breadth and depth of our own life experience. The sphere we find ourselves in.

Here is some source material from a site not friendly to the church. But they did their due diligence. Common theme? We are reaching towards perfection.

If we’re not…that is where we ought to be concerned.
Citing Matthew 5:48, George Q. Cannon, a member of the church’s First Presidency, explained,

Be perfect here? Yes, it is man’s privilege, the Latter-day Saints believe, to be as perfect in his sphere as God our eternal Father is in his sphere, or as Jesus in his sphere, or as the angels in their spheres. Said Jesus to his disciples —”Be ye perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect.” Perfection, then, is to a certain extent possible on earth for those who will live, lives that are agreeable to the mind and will of God (October 8, 1874, Journal of Discourses 17:231).

https://www.mrm.org/perfectionism
Read through some of the other quotes.

Even the critic’s arch nemesis, President Spencer with. Kimball, encourages us towards perfection from where we are.

That’s all we CAN do. Unless we don’t.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by MG 2.0 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MG 2.0
God

Re: How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

Post by MG 2.0 »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:22 pm
I see that ‘Mormonism’ encapsulates the complexity of life and cosmos better, in my opinion, than competing philosophical frameworks or belief systems
Because you know so much about the complexity of life, the cosmos, and the many competing philosophical frameworks and belief systems.

MG 2.0, a world acclaimed expert on the cosmos, biology, and world religions, figured out that the sum total of all of it was explained by Mormonism.
I’m open to some alternatives. Your condescending remarks are noted.

By the way, I thought canpakes put together a well thought out post. I felt like her post deserved a serious response.

If this is all you have, then well, thanks. 🙂

Again, let’s see what you’ve got.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Looks like MG forgot to check in with Islam during, his, uh, intense studies of other religions and philosophies:
As Muslims, we especially have to be cognizant of our perfectionist tendencies, as it an indication of a serious spiritual sickness that cannot only impact us but also our children (or other children in our care) whom we risk passing the trait down to. Seeking perfection is not the goal of the believer.
Huh. What to do.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:52 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
There are so many paths towards enlightenment and perfection. Mormonism teaches that we reach perfection within a sphere unique to ourselves...
Could you please provide a source for that teaching?
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:28 pm

I am different than my neighbor.
<other nonresponsive nonsense snipped>
no, it doesn't answer my question at all. clearly, Mormonism doesn't teach what you said it does.

let's get back to the OP:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:53 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:49 pm
I left my mission.
OMG.

I had major cognitive dissonance on my mission, but the thought of bouncing was, to me at the time, impossible. Major props to you for having the internal character to leave your mission. If you don’t mind sharing, what was the fallout from that?

- Doc
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:35 pm
Looks like MG forgot to check in with Islam during, his, uh, intense studies of other religions and philosophies:
As Muslims, we especially have to be cognizant of our perfectionist tendencies, as it an indication of a serious spiritual sickness that cannot only impact us but also our children (or other children in our care) whom we risk passing the trait down to. Seeking perfection is not the goal of the believer.
Huh. What to do.

- Doc
Read more.

Definition of Kamal (Perfection) and How It Differs from Tamam (Completion) and Progress

Completion applies when speaking about the parts of a thing, as in the case where a thing is composed of several parts and all the parts are put together, it is said that that thing is complete. In other words, completion pertains to the parts that are necessary to bring something into existence. But perfection pertains to the levels and stages of something. When something reaches completion, there still might be more perfect states for it. Thus a thing could be complete but not perfect. Also, the term progress could apply to a movement that is merely horizontal. However, elevation is embedded in the meaning of perfection. For, perfection is meaningful only in the context of an ascending and vertical movement. Hence, it is possible to achieve progress without attaining to perfection.
Not less.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:41 pm

clearly, Mormonism doesn't teach what you said it does.
You are grossly mistaken. And it even parallels Islamic teaching as you can see.

I’m in good company.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Huh. What to do.

- Doc
Umm…repent and improve within your sphere?

That is, if you’re not doing so. If you are, you are achieving a measure of perfection.

AWESOME!!

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

MG 2.0 wrote:
canpakes wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:18 am

Well, let’s break this down.

1. Pre-mortal existence: Know God!
2. Be tossed into Veil of Forgetfulness.
3. Be born into a mortal body, with a two-tenths of one percent chance of that happening within an LDS family.
4. Stumble through life hoping to hear of or understand a God that hides from you on the daily.
5(a). Die, as a believing Mormon: then Know God! . . . maybe?
5(b). Or, die as a non-believer, and possibly be converted in the afterlife, or not.
6. Be placed into one of several possible post-mortal ‘kingdoms’.

Net result:

- Total number of souls that achieve a higher state of existence than before beginning The Plan: -0- percent.

- Total number of souls that achieve the same state of existence than before beginning The Plan: Less than 100%

- Total number of souls that achieve a lower state of existence than before beginning The Plan: more than 0%

‘Successful’ game participants end up at the same place as they inhabited before. Many game participants do not.

The game is rigged, and as you are denied knowledge of your premortal existence once you inhabit a mortal body, then any frame of reference to the benefits of that existence are eliminated, and you start back at Square 1 in the afterlife. And mortal experiences are not applicable in the afterlife.

There is nothing gained via this Plan aside from some amusement derived from it, for God.

(Apologies if I’ve made some mistakes in how The Plan plays out; please let me know where I went off track)
As an alternative plan, what would you suggest?

That also includes maximum agency.

By the way, I think that, as many have said here, not everyone is cut out to be a member of the church, per se. But that doesn’t mean that 99% plus of God’s children aren’t going to find the same fullness and happiness in an afterlife as me, you, or anyone else. None of us were members of a church in a premortal world [if it exist(s) (ed)]. None of us will be members of a church in a post mortal existence (if there is such an existence).

I would not be at all surprised to find out that we may have ‘signed on’ to a LIMITED scope/range of experiences before coming to earth. Kind of like signing up for school. Primary, secondary, and post secondary education. With options to matriculate to further opportunities either here or hereafter.

The primary reason for coming to earth is to gain a physical body and gain experience. If that experience is not to be had here then it will come later albeit under different conditions. There will be enough folks that have matriculated through the ‘earth program’ that they may well be able to help others along the way in the hereafter.

There are so many paths towards enlightenment and perfection. Mormonism teaches that we reach perfection within a sphere unique to ourselves. My perfection is going to vary from yours. The point is, we are reaching towards completeness/wholeness. Different strokes for different folks. So the fact so few sentient beings that experience earth life do so as members of the ‘true church’ doesn’t really matter. They are gaining similar experiences that they can take into an afterlife.

Work, love, discipline, family, etc.

Terryl Givens proposes that the main difference between Mormons and everyone else is that we have been given authority to build and operate temples and the performance of ordinances necessary for both salvation and/or exaltation. Work for EVERYONE, not just those that are members of the LDS Church.

I think God’s plan is much bigger than we suppose, but I also am of the opinion that the work that the church does through those that accept the fullness of the gospel is critically important in the work of salvation and/or exaltation of God’s children.

The emphasis you place on numbers aren’t of any great consequence. God already knows what that ratio of ‘members’ vs. ‘nonmembers’ is going to be and He’s planned out for it.

D&C 76 gives a general outline of how BIG the plan is and how all encompassing. Especially when compared with general Christianity.

Somehow and somewhere along the line I do think that every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ. The only perfect Son of God. But that doesn’t necessarily mean we will all follow Him. We will have agency in an afterlife just as we do here. And yes, we will still travel our own path as we do here, but with the knowledge that there is a Godhead and an overall plan which played a part in the life we came from while on earth.

The longer I live and the more I study, ponder, and pray, I see that ‘Mormonism’ encapsulates the complexity of life and cosmos better, in my opinion, than competing philosophical frameworks or belief systems. None seem to cover all the bases as well as the Restoration Gospel of Jesus Christ. But even the, there is so much to learn and try and understand.

We’re babes in arms.

Regards,
MG
Gadianton, canpakes…alternatives?

I’ll check back at a later time. I’ve got things to do.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:06 pm
And around and around. MG doesn’t give two craps about data, methodology or logic. All he wants is to get people mad. #ignorethetroll
ignoring the troll, and back to the topic:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:53 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:49 pm
I left my mission.
OMG.

I had major cognitive dissonance on my mission, but the thought of bouncing was, to me at the time, impossible. Major props to you for having the internal character to leave your mission. If you don’t mind sharing, what was the fallout from that?

- Doc
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:53 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Huh. What to do.

- Doc
Read more.

Definition of Kamal (Perfection) and How It Differs from Tamam (Completion) and Progress

Completion applies when speaking about the parts of a thing, as in the case where a thing is composed of several parts and all the parts are put together, it is said that that thing is complete. In other words, completion pertains to the parts that are necessary to bring something into existence. But perfection pertains to the levels and stages of something. When something reaches completion, there still might be more perfect states for it. Thus a thing could be complete but not perfect. Also, the term progress could apply to a movement that is merely horizontal. However, elevation is embedded in the meaning of perfection. For, perfection is meaningful only in the context of an ascending and vertical movement. Hence, it is possible to achieve progress without attaining to perfection.
Not less.

Regards,
MG
What does that have to do with anything? Also, tell us about the years you spent going to mosque and studying the Quran and Sunna so you could scratch that one off the list.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.