FOX NEWS Is an Enemy of the State

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: FOX NEWS Is an Enemy of the State

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:32 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:02 pm

So he did call some people semi-fascist. That is confirmed. Thanks.
Nope. Here’s the quote:

“What we're seeing now is either the beginning or the death knell of an extreme MAGA philosophy. It’s not just Trump, it’s the entire philosophy that underpins the — I’m going to say something — it’s like semi-fascism.”

Is a philosophy a person?
The biggest problem with what Biden said is that he greatly understated the case. "Full fascism" is more accurate.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:49 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:59 pm
So it is a lie that Biden or his spokeswoman called people semi-fascist, or the truth?
Could we say that philosophy equals people? Sort of like corporations can be people in terms of taking a driving test or getting a high school diploma.

I wonder why Binger’s ire isn’t directed at Fox News for lying about what Biden said, and causing Binger to foolishly buy into the lie?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:32 am
I wonder why Binger’s ire isn’t directed at Fox News for lying about what Biden said, and causing Binger to foolishly buy into the lie?
I wonder too how Binger or any rational person, whether Republican or Democrat, can fail to be both aware of and outraged by how FOX News has consistently and obviously lied to us -- especially considering the well-documented and publicized fact that they effectively admitted as much in their defense against the defamation case against them by arguing that no reasonable person would take their claims seriously. How do their viewers fail to feel insulted and belittled by that?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Isn’t branding the opposition an enemy of the state right out of the fascist handbook? You can say it if you want, but in my book that makes you just another authoritarian, Veritas.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:49 pm

Could we say that philosophy equals people? Sort of like corporations can be people in terms of taking a driving test or getting a high school diploma.

I wonder why you don't allow me to respond to comments and then misrepresent me.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:57 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:32 pm

Nope. Here’s the quote:

“What we're seeing now is either the beginning or the death knell of an extreme MAGA philosophy. It’s not just Trump, it’s the entire philosophy that underpins the — I’m going to say something — it’s like semi-fascism.”

Is a philosophy a person?
The biggest problem with what Biden said is that he greatly understated the case. "Full fascism" is more accurate.
So, who bought into what? Gunnar, you look like the buyer here.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:45 am
canpakes wrote:
I wonder why you don't allow me to respond to comments and then misrepresent me.
Are you playing the dishonest ‘victim’ card again, maybe as a distraction? Why is that not surprising?

Please, by all means. Step up and answer the question. The floor is yours.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:34 am
Isn’t branding the opposition an enemy of the state right out of the fascist handbook? You can say it if you want, but in my book that makes you just another authoritarian, Veritas.
I'm not sure about this, Res. Fox News is doing real damage to the Republic. I don't know what the motive is, and I've though a lot about that. Money doesn't explain it. There has to be a point where profit is trumped by principles if one has them.

So why has Fox News, especially their opinion evening programing that is the most popular, made hyper-partisanship king to the point of they would rather see Western Liberal Democracy in flames than acknowledge real threats if they are from the supposed right? Is it tolerable still after an insurrection and what we are seeing with Trump post-office?
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:34 am
That doesn't logically follow. So you're saying there can be no such thing as actual enemies of the state, right? If they exist, we're supposed to just ignore them or at least not mention them?

"“I, ________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and of the State of ______ against all enemies, foreign and domestic;"

Sound familiar? It wasn't written by Hitler.
Last edited by Vēritās on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:44 am
I'm not sure about this, Res. Fox News is doing real damage to the Republic. I don't know what the motive is, and I've though a lot about that. Money doesn't explain it. There has to be a point where profit is trumped by principles if one has them.

So why has Fox News, especially their opinion evening programing that is the most popular, made hyper-partisanship king to the point of they would rather see Western Liberal Democracy in flames than acknowledge real threats if they are from the supposed right? Is it tolerable still after an insurrection and what we are seeing with Trump post-office?
Apparently we're supposed to keep tolerating it, because the only thing worse that watching Democracy collapse is being called an authoritarian by someone who likes to illicitly equate things based on superficial similarities.

"This guy said he like's pizza and he's a homophobe. You like pizza too, so you're a homophobe in my book!" Not an exact quote, but you get the point.

Sometimes it is really annoying to me that one must be super smart and articulate like honorentheus to get away with saying the hard truths without be called an "authoritarian."
Last edited by Vēritās on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18