Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Mar-A-Lago Legally Searched by FBI

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:42 pm
From the transcript - Trump’s lawyer:
Your Honor, just briefly, you are in a challenging but yet, respectfully, a unique position to restore order, to help restore public confidence in the impartial administration of justice. You know, the temperature is very high on both sides here, very high. There is a significant lack of trust between the parties. And I'm not speaking out of turn and I'm not being accusatory, I just think there is. I think it is evident from what you see out in the public eye.
Sigh … totally not a veiled threat. Regardless, the government makes a good point that ODNI has to make a damage assessment. The problem with that is that’s a fairly exhaustive process just for one document. It’s not like they look at the document and are like, “Oh, yah. This one made a lot of grave damage to the United States. See there? It has TS markings and it names a CIA handler, so therefore it made lots and lots of damage to us. Ouch.”

No. They have to backward track the chain of custody of each and every document. People are interviewed. Meetings are had to piece together the route a document has made. Legal is involved. Working groups are created where people are taken away from other jobs they need to do and are assigned to a damned fact-finding mission. Reports are made. More meetings to make sure everything they’re doing is in kine with laws and policies. More interviews. And then guilty parties are hemmed the “F” up; you have to find the guy or gal who was holding the bag, so to speak, and then probably charge them. This ODNI thing will probably take a year or more. I’m not sure how else it could go.

- Doc
Naw, not a veiled threat. Doing that to a federal judge is tantamount to suicide.

One of the two possible bases for jurisdiction requires Trump to prove irreparable harm if a special master isn’t appointed. I think his counsel realizes that there is no literally harm, so he tried a kind of shotgun approach where he talked about harm to the public, harm to the government’s credibility, etc. None of those things are irreparable harm to Trump. And the fact that the investigation will continue is not the type of harm that buys an injunction against LEOs.

That’s interesting about the length of time the ODNI review is likely to take. Based on the judge’s questions, I doubt that she’ll interfere with that process.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

On Truth social Tump appeared to admit he had documents he shouldn't legally have in his office at Mar-A-Lago. Then his lawyer seemed to confirm it on national TV. Last night at his rally in Pennsylvania he talked about them being in his office, like he knew they were there, and that he wanted every one to know they were stored neatly, and not a mess scattered on the floor like the photo the FBI took would have you believe. The post on Truth social, his lawyer, he could have denied he had any knowledge, but he just admits his crime to try and show that he isn't a sloppy person. I'm not sure he understands that ultimately the crime is having the documents, not how they were stored.

I hope they play the clip at his trial and I hope when it comes to sentencing they play the many clips of him talking about what Hillary Clinton and Edward Snowden should suffer, and feature the law he signed upping the punishment.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dwight wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:03 pm
On Truth social Tump appeared to admit he had documents he shouldn't legally have in his office at Mar-A-Lago. Then his lawyer seemed to confirm it on national TV. Last night at his rally in Pennsylvania he talked about them being in his office, like he knew they were there, and that he wanted every one to know they were stored neatly, and not a mess scattered on the floor like the photo the FBI took would have you believe. The post on Truth social, his lawyer, he could have denied he had any knowledge, but he just admits his crime to try and show that he isn't a sloppy person. I'm not sure he understands that ultimately the crime is having the documents, not how they were stored.

I hope they play the clip at his trial and I hope when it comes to sentencing they play the many clips of him talking about what Hillary Clinton and Edward Snowden should suffer, and feature the law he signed upping the punishment.
Trump may have said or implied that the documents were planted, but he’s never taken that position in court. In the oral argument his lawyer was pretty clear: the case is about whether he had the right to take the papers to Mar Al Lago. It would be very hard to back away from that position, given that statement and others that Trump has made. I don’t think the clips you refer to would be admissible in court. What Trump says should be done as punishment is not relevant to what his sentence should be for violating the law.

I don’t think accidental possession is going to fly, given the protracted efforts of NARA and the FBI to recover the docs.

Trump is the archetype of the nightmare client.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:16 pm

He doesn’t pay his attorney?
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Yeah it wouldn’t get in, but I would enjoy the karmic justice. It would just be nice to see the brazen lawlessness finally stick.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Binger wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:04 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:16 pm

He doesn’t pay his attorney?
That too, of course, but you know (if you have been paying attention at all) that that is far from the main reason. Don't try to pretend you don't already know that!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Trump seems to be continually suggesting his followers should go to war if he is indicted.

Missing documents: Do you think Trump has already sold or given away secret materials to foreign actors?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:50 pm
Trump seems to be continually suggesting his followers should go to war if he is indicted. [Item 1]

Missing documents: Do you think Trump has already sold or given away secret materials to foreign actors? [Item 2]
Continual CFR for item 1, please.

CFR that there are "[m]issing documents."

Without references, shall we assume that items 1 and 2 are merely elements of two theories that you have come up with to explain two conspiracies that you have come up with?
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

There appears to be a new narrative coming.

This continues to unravel.
Just so we're clear:

Today we learned that the FBI, under the direct order of Joe Biden, raided Trump's estate smash-n-grab style and took whatever documents they wanted, including those well outside the scope of the subpoena.

Tell us more about "threats to democratic norms."
https://Twitter.com/pdabrosca/status/15 ... PBHQTr0peg

That is just a tweet. But ya know, the narrative matters a lot. And Biden is losing this one hard and fast. We have come a long way from espionage and nuclear codes, LOL.
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

Washington Post is reporting that Trump took a special access document delineating the nuclear capabilities of foreign nations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... documents/