Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

Post by dastardly stem »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:44 pm
I'm one of this board's softies about belief; I'll defend belief as a reasonable choice in ways that others don't buy. For that very reason, though, I'm sensitive about saying "know" instead of "believe". I find some good use cases for "believe", so to me "know" should mean something different. I wouldn't say "know" to describe a strong hunch.

And I'm afraid I don't think most other people really would, either. Maybe I'm just too cynical, or have too little experience of Mormon life, but my strong hunch is that the whole reason why the favoured phrase is "I know the Church is true", rather than "I believe the Church is true", is that saying "I know" sounds like more than a strong hunch, to everybody who hears it. So that strongly worded statement puts pressure on everyone who hears it, to accept the statement itself as a kind of evidence, like eyewitness testimony. It even puts pressure on the person who makes the statement, to adopt the high degree of confidence that they have expressed.

I'm willing to attach a certain amount of weight to other people's testimonies of belief. If a person I respect tells me they believe something, that inclines to give the matter a second thought, myself. The Mormon profession of knowledge feels like overselling to me, though. Other religions I know do not do that, at least not so regularly.

I'm also still baffled by the fact that it's not Mormon teachings that are "known" to be true, but "the Church" itself. To me that adjective just doesn't go with that noun. Most other churches like to believe that they have true doctrine, but truth isn't a property that applies to groups of people.

One does not say that a company, or a family, or a baseball team is true. Amazon and Google aren't true. The Kardassians and the Mountbatten-Windsors aren't true. The Saints and the Dodgers aren't true. Not even the Marine Corps is true. They might all be honest, they might all be trustworthy, they might even be right; but they cannot be true, any more than they can be triangular or pluperfect. So how the heck could any church, no matter how true its principles were, ever itself be true?

The phrase is meant to suggest the Church's teachings are true.

Back in the day as a member I adopted the "I believe..." in place of "I know..." at some point for the same reasons you suggest. But now I just see it more as a manner of speaking...a way to suggest they strongly feel it is true. And feeling it is as good as knowing it, in Mormonism. It is saying they know it as much as they know anything. I've decided to back off on that little phrase a bit since, because in a cute way that is a part of Mormonism.

Plus, there are certainly as many believers in various forms of Christianity who speak as if they know their beliefs are true. They simply haven't used the same way to express it.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:59 pm
I don't think it's lying. I know it as much as I know anything.
I think that's fair, actually.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:11 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:59 pm
I don't think it's lying. I know it as much as I know anything.
I think that's fair, actually.
As do I. Shades was being way too harsh.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:50 pm
What’s the difference between Kevin’s decision to follow his emotionally charged hunch about an organization, vs a person? Not everything we do for personal joy needs to have a perfect logical underpinning. Logic doesn’t explain love either.
Depends on what we decide as our "needs". Some things we do for personal joy may not have a logical underpinning but that also does not mean those doings are irrational. I suppose its fair to say Steven Pinker influenced my thinking here in his book Rationality, since as I see it we're not throwing off a rational life by doing things that bring us joy. Those things seem to be void of reason, I suppose, but I'd say they fit nicely into a rational way of thinking.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Is an organization still true when it continues to deceive its adherents?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:26 pm
Was it true when it covered for a man who raped his toddler, filmed it, and posted it to the Internet? Was is true when it covered for the same man who attempted to rape his baby, film it, and post it to the Internet? Was it true when it didn’t excommunicate a Bishop who sexually assaulted around a dozen kids, but rather knowingly covered for him? Was it true when it universally excommunicates thieves who steal from tithing, thus setting a precedent that theft of tithing funds is more grave than raping kids?
Doc, all those things are controversial, and are based on things men have said about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I prefer to go on what God has said about that church, and that is that it is true.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Chap wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:04 am
Many years ago, the Oxford philosopher A.J. Ayer wrote a paper entitled 'Knowing as Having the Right to be Sure'.
Is "know" then a useless word? An ideal that can never be reached?
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:38 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Was it true when it covered for a man who raped his toddler, filmed it, and posted it to the Internet? Was is true when it covered for the same man who attempted to rape his baby, film it, and post it to the Internet? Was it true when it didn’t excommunicate a Bishop who sexually assaulted around a dozen kids, but rather knowingly covered for him? Was it true when it universally excommunicates thieves who steal from tithing, thus setting a precedent that theft of tithing funds is more grave than raping kids?
Doc, all those things are controversial, and are based on things men have said about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I prefer to go on what God has said about that church, and that is that it is true.
And god could clear that up in one second. Right?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
As yet another person saying things about the church, you have explained quite nicely that you give us absolutely no reason to believe that the church is true, even if we were to agree on what that expression means.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Edit:

1. What does that even mean?

2. What would your organization have to do to be Not True?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.